5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello, I bought a travel trailer and want to add OEM trailer braking to my 2019 Bighorn.

Klute

Reaction score
I have read the install instructions on-line. Does adding it require a software flash (or something like that)? The instructions I found didn't mention it.

Thanks!

mrclortho

Reaction score
Yes, once installed you will need to go to the dealer to have the flash and applications added.

I did this and it was seamless.

Klute

Reaction score
Yes, once installed you will need to go to the dealer to have the flash and applications added.

Thank you! How much did they charge you for the flash? Did you buy the hardware from them? Did you have any problems after you installed and before it was flashed?

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought the kit from americantrucks.com and did it myself. It came with the security bypass plugin and flash plugin. The kit was like $400 I think. My dealer wanted like 250 bucks to install and flash it on top of the hardware cost, so I did it myself.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Or you can buy the stuff to do it yourself for less than what the dealer will charge you

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can pick up the Mopar trailer brake controller kit off eBay for under $200. If you have an android get alfaObd app, SGW bypass,.and an OBD2 Bluetooth scan tool, all for ~$100 and change the settings yourself. If Apple users replace alfaObd app with the Jscan app.

Users who are viewing this thread