5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Ohio

jesse_ohio

Reaction score
Hi all, checking in as I just picked up a CPO 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn 3.6L 4x4 Crew Cab in Black Forest Green Pearl. Thought it was black at first but the green shows up nice in the sunlight. Has a few options checked - Bed Utility Group, Level 2 Equipment, and North Edition (a few towing and appearance perks, e-locker, hill descent, engine block heater). Also factory tri-fold tonneau cover.

Went for the baby motor since this will be a DD and I drive about 18k/yr, and I have no towing aspirations beyond a small camper. We are a family of 5 with 3 boys ages 7-10. Outdoor activities are increasing - camping, biking, hopefully one day soon kayaking. The Crew Cab is perfect for the boys, they have so much space in the back.

This is my first truck ever, so it's definitely a transition from sedan life, but I love it so far. I only hope I made the right equipment choices in the long term. The V6 will suffice, I think, but I'm already wondering about the short bed. It seems to be sufficient for family trips, but hopefully I don't kick myself down the road.

The only choice I am really regretting so far is that we got the front bench seat. I was thinking if we ever need to bring 1 extra person along, it would be nice to have the option, but since I've tried actually sitting in it, it's not realistic for a longer drive for anyone above kid size, and I don't really want to put my kids in that position for long. To add to it, I somehow overlooked how the bench option killed the cupholders for the rear seats. So my boys (3 across) only have door cupholders, which they can't easily reach (and none for the middle boy). It's already been a sore point. I'll have to look for some kind of aftermarket cupholder option, like a seat back organizer or something.

Anyway, that's the only nitpick I have. Otherwise the truck is beautiful and drives wonderfully. Looking forward to making some family memories with the Ram.

20200601_200229.jpg

Last edited:

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice truck, congratulations! It's hard to beat the overall comfort, roominess and utility of a Ram 1500 on the new DT platform. What is the rear-end ratio?
It would be expensive, but I wonder if you might be able to convert your original bench seat to the front bucket seats with console. Might be worth asking the dealership if it's possible and how much it would cost. Then sell the original bench seat setup to defray the cost of the upgraded seats & console.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Ohio! Black Forest Green would have been one of my top picks if it was still available for '20.

I know there's a long thread on here somewhere about swapping the 3rd seat for a console (or vice versa) and I've seen a few people post that they'd be willing to swap. No idea how much work it would be but just throwing it out there. Good luck!

jesse_ohio

Reaction score
Nice truck, congratulations! It's hard to beat the overall comfort, roominess and utility of a Ram 1500 on the new DT platform. What is the rear-end ratio?

3.21. I just don't see myself towing anything over 5k anytime soon. If I did I would want the HEMI anyhow, so it seems like the v6 and 3.21 are really a matched set.

Welcome from NW Ohio! Black Forest Green would have been one of my top picks if it was still available for '20.

Thanks! Yeah it's a real sleeper color, I was prepared for black but this is like a little surprise treat in golden hour sunlight. The interior is the black/tan combo which I LOVE, seems to fit the foresty-vibe of the green exterior.

I know there's a long thread on here somewhere about swapping the 3rd seat for a console (or vice versa) and I've seen a few people post that they'd be willing to swap. No idea how much work it would be but just throwing it out there. Good luck!

Thanks, I have already read through a couple threads on the bench seat swap. In the end I will probably just learn to live with it, it's not the end of the world. And the bench still could prove useful, I just haven't had the truck long enough to see any of those benefits. Being able to spread out when working in the truck, slide across the cab as needed, or have the wife a little closer are all perks. And we may stick a kid there every now and again for a quick jaunt with 6th person, just not for a long drive. So it will be fine, just gotta work around the problem.

Last edited:

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck and welcome to the forum! I do really like that color, I saw one the other day in the sun and it looked awesome.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Welcome from Dayton/Columbus area.

I dont know that I've ever seen that Green before. I agree with the consensus, it sounds like a sharp "sleeper" color.

jesse_ohio

Reaction score
Welcome from Dayton/Columbus area.

I dont know that I've ever seen that Green before. I agree with the consensus, it sounds like a sharp "sleeper" color.

Thanks for the welcome! The Diplomat in your signature sounds interesting! Not something you see every day, what led you down that path?

Skater

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I have seen that color once. I still remember how it looked in bright, direct sunlight. Gorgeous.

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! The Diplomat in your signature sounds interesting! Not something you see every day, what led you down that path?
I'll try to make a long story short...

I wanted to Hemi swap my second gen Ram, so bought the Diplomat for 500 bucks to have a car while the truck was down. Ended up keeping the car and selling the truck before I could even start gathering parts, then found my way onto forums. The engine is identical to a buddy of mines old setup (he literally gave me a parts list and said "enjoy") and from there it's just snowballed.

Sad thing is, now I want to Hemi swap the Diplomat

Users who are viewing this thread