5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Georgia

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my first post but I've been lurking and learning for about a week. This will be my first experience with RAM!

I would like to thank 5thGenRams for all the information that I've gleaned from this site. Specifically a post by Silent Bob pointing me in the direction of high volume dealers. Thank you Silent Bob!!

So YES, I placed an order yesterday (6/18/21) for a '22 Limited and will be making the 669 trip to Lake Charles to meet Aaron @ Mark Dodge as soon as it gets in!!!

Looking forward to joining the RAM family and hope to not only learn but contribute as much as a novice to RAMs can.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Welcome. Another Georgia boy here. Picked up my new Ram on 6/14 from Mark Dodge and drove it back to ATL.

Last edited:

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome. Another Georgia boy here. Picked up my new Ram on 6/14 from Mark Dodge and drove it back to ATL.
Very cool! Did you fly or drive out there? I know it will be months before I go but do you have any tips or advice for making the trip.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Very cool! Did you fly or drive out there? I know it will be months before I go but do you have any tips or advice for making the trip.
I flew. The dealership is like 10 mins from the airport. They picked me up in my new truck and took me back to the dealer. The airport is very small and easy to exit. I took nothing but a backpack. I had to sign one document; they needed an original signature for registration purposes. I arrived just after noon on Saturday and planned to drive all the way back to ATL that same day. I ended up staying the night in Mobile. Glad I did. I got an early start on Sunday morning.

Last edited:

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I flew. The dealership is like 10 mins from the airport. They picked me up in my new truck and took me back to the dealer. The airport is very small and easy to exit. I took nothing but a backpack. I had to sign one document; they needed an original signature for registration purposes. I arrived just after noon on Saturday and planned to drive all the way back to ATL that same day. I ended up staying the night in Mobile. Glad I did. I got an early start on Sunday morning.
Sounds like it went smooth. Assuming you flew to Houston and puddle jumped to lake Charles? We're thinking of a one way rental from Houston cause I hate little planes!

Ramjack

Reaction score
Sounds like it went smooth. Assuming you flew to Houston and puddle jumped to lake Charles? We're thinking of a one way rental from Houston cause I hate little planes!
Dallas, actually. Depends on your definition of "puddle jumper." I've taken plenty of prop planes in my time. This was a regional jet (Embraer?). Either way, I understand your concern. Both of my flights were very smooth that day. BTW, I treated myself to first class for the trip from ATL to DAL (only $100 extra) since I had to get up early to take first flight out of ATL and was planning to drive the full trip home that afternoon. I was able to sleep some on the plane. I ended up wimping out and stopping in Mobile for the night on the drive back. There was a significant delay on I-10 eastbound between Lafayette and Baton Rouge which set me back a little. Got an early start the next morning so I could make it home to the family by noon EDT on Sunday.

Best Tip I can think of: If you're traveling alone, have somebody you can call to help you easily find the best alternate routes (in case of traffic delays) so you don't have to stop on the side of the road to search. It will save you some frustration in unfamiliar areas, especially if that person can be near a computer instead of a phone to help find the best routes. If you have a travel companion, then you'll obviously have a navigator. Just buy them good coffee along the way. 👍

Tip #2: If you plan to use Apple Carplay or Android Auto, take a very high quality USB cable for your phone, otherwise, it will periodically disconnect during the drive. Your best bet is to either use the cable that came with your phone or buy a high-quality cable (I like Anker brand) from Amazon. They are not expensive at all. I bought a couple of red ones so they are easy to see in the truck. Black tends to disappear. Three (3) feet is a good length although shorter would probably work as well. The cable I was originally using had the appearance of a high-quality cable (braided look) but it was a no-name piece of junk.

Tip #3: Don't let yourself get frustrated if it seems that a certain feature or features on the truck are not working during your trip. I had 3 or 4 of these occur along the way but it turned out in every case that I just didn't know what I was doing. Once I got home, the only thing that needed "fixing" was for me to get rid of the crappy USB cable I was using.

Tip #4: Sorry to sound like a parent, but try not to get distracted with all of the cool features while driving, especially on a Limited model. It can be very dangerous when you aren't familiar with the vehicle AND you're not familiar with the route. In all honesty, even though your chances of a serious incident are small, even the slightest fender-bender would totally ruin your new truck experience.

Tip #5: If you're curious about fuel mileage, download an app like Fuelly (personally, I like Fillup) so you can get an accurate picture. The on-board mileage calculator is not so accurate as is the case with virtually all vehicles.

Tip #6: Have a list of your favorite SiriusXM channels handy. Your free (6-month?) trial will be active when you pick up the truck.

Tip #7: If you're seriously OCD (I wouldn't blame you), take a cheap rubber floor mat (WalMart?) in case it's a rainy trip home so you can limit the amount of crud on your new floor.

Tip #8: Even if you don't plan to stop for the night, at least take a clean pair of underwear. If you are planning to take I-10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge, there can be no options and no way to exit if there is a road blockage. It's basically a long bridge with no shoulder over the bayou(?) for 10+ miles. If you end up delayed enough, you may want to stop for the night somewhere. I certainly appreciated having a clean pair of skivvies when I stopped for the evening.

Tip #9: Enjoy the drive. These trucks are so nice on road trips.

(I will keep adding as I think of more.)

Last edited:

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dallas, actually. Depends on your definition of "puddle jumper." I've taken plenty of prop planes in my time. This was a regional jet (Embraer?). Either way, I understand your concern. Both of my flights were very smooth that day. BTW, I treated myself to first class for the trip from ATL to DAL (only $100 extra) since I had to get up early to take first flight out of ATL and was planning to drive the full trip home that afternoon. I was able to sleep some on the plane. I ended up wimping out and stopping in Mobile for the night on the drive back. There was a significant delay on I-10 eastbound between Lafayette and Baton Rouge which set me back a little. Got an early start the next morning so I could make it home to the family by noon EDT on Sunday.

Best Tip I can think of: If you're traveling alone, have somebody you can call to help you easily find the best alternate routes (in case of traffic delays) so you don't have to stop on the side of the road to search. It will save you some frustration in unfamiliar areas, especially if that person can be near a computer instead of a phone to help find the best routes. If you have a travel companion, then you'll obviously have a navigator. Just buy them good coffee along the way. 👍

Tip #2: If you plan to use Apple Carplay or Android Auto, take a very high quality USB cable for your phone, otherwise, it will periodically disconnect during the drive. Your best bet is to either use the cable that came with your phone or buy a high-quality cable (I like Anker brand) from Amazon. They are not expensive at all. I bought a couple of red ones so they are easy to see in the truck. Black tends to disappear. Three (3) feet is a good length although shorter would probably work as well. The cable I was originally using had the appearance of a high-quality cable (braided look) but it was a no-name piece of junk.

Tip #3: Don't let yourself get frustrated if it seems that a certain feature or features on the truck are not working during your trip. I had 3 or 4 of these occur along the way but it turned out in every case that I just didn't know what I was doing. Once I got home, the only thing that needed "fixing" was for me to get rid of the crappy USB cable I was using.

Tip #4: Sorry to sound like a parent, but try not to get distracted with all of the cool features while driving, especially on a Limited model. It can be very dangerous when you aren't familiar with the vehicle AND you're not familiar with the route. In all honesty, even though your chances of a serious incident are small, even the slightest fender-bender would totally ruin your new truck experience.

Tip #5: If you're curious about fuel mileage, download an app like Fuelly (personally, I like Fillup) so you can get an accurate picture. The on-board mileage calculator is not so accurate as is the case with virtually all vehicles.

Tip #6: Have a list of your favorite SiriusXM channels handy. Your free (6-month?) trial will be active when you pick up the truck.

Tip #7: If you're seriously OCD (I wouldn't blame you), take a cheap rubber floor mat (WalMart?) in case it's a rainy trip home so you can limit the amount of crud on your new floor.

Tip #8: Even if you don't plan to stop for the night, at least take a clean pair of underwear. If you are planning to take I-10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge, there can be no options and no way to exit if there is a road blockage. It's basically a long bridge with no shoulder over the bayou(?) for 10+ miles. If you end up delayed enough, you may want to stop for the night somewhere. I certainly appreciated having a clean pair of skivvies when I stopped for the evening.

Tip #9: Enjoy the drive. These trucks are so nice on road trips.

(I will keep adding as I think of more.)
THANKS!! Great tips!! especially #8 LOL!!

Users who are viewing this thread