5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello folks

19 North

Reaction score
Just bought a 19 Ram 1500 three days ago and already having trouble shifting into drive. Research brought up this site.
Hopefully I’ll be able to find a answer to the problem.

djdnl

Reaction score
Just bought a 19 Ram 1500 three days ago and already having trouble shifting into drive. Research brought up this site.
Hopefully I’ll be able to find a answer to the problem.

Is the truck still in warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Please elaborate on trouble to shift into drive . What kind of trouble ? Does the selector light up that it’s in drive but it’s really not ? Does it physically not turn to drive ?

19 North

Reaction score
Is your truck a DT, auto park brake may be active, you have to put your seatbelt before the truck is able to move.
Yes it’s a DT. It will move without seatbelt on. I have a gate that has to be opened/closed by hand and haven’t had any trouble with the seatbelt off.

19 North

Reaction score
Please elaborate on trouble to shift into drive . What kind of trouble ? Does the selector light up that it’s in drive but it’s really not ? Does it physically not turn to drive ?
It comes out of park and lights move on selector,but doesn’t go in gear. There’s a thread on here called “shifter knob issues”. It has a couple videos of the same thing this one is doing.
In that thread it didn’t seem like there was a concrete fix. Some where fixed by a flash,valve body or new trans.
I found a tsb,but it has a build date of before 11/18 and this one has a build date of 1/19.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
It comes out of park and lights move on selector,but doesn’t go in gear. There’s a thread on here called “shifter knob issues”. It has a couple videos of the same thing this one is doing.
In that thread it didn’t seem like there was a concrete fix. Some where fixed by a flash,valve body or new trans.
I found a tsb,but it has a build date of before 11/18 and this one has a build date of 1/19.
I have a friend with a Limited that had this issue since day one too... The dealer can't figure it out and after months at the dealership and 15K miles, He'd probably Lemon it... They've replaced a few modules including the ABS module 🤷‍♂️ ...
Good luck with this one, I'll keep you posted if we have and developments in this case... Also, If they are able to fix yours, Please let me know.
BTW: The only way he can drive his truck when this happens is to shut it off and restart it, Otherwise, It's not going to move.

19 North

Reaction score
I have a friend with a Limited that had this issue since day one too... The dealer can't figure it out and after months at the dealership and 15K miles, He'd probably Lemon it... They've replaced a few modules including the ABS module 🤷‍♂️ ...
Good luck with this one, I'll keep you posted if we have and developments in this case... Also, If they are able to fix yours, Please let me know.
BTW: The only way he can drive his truck when this happens is to shut it off and restart it, Otherwise, It's not going to move.
I believe it’s a mechanical problem in the trans,but not 100% positive.
So far it’s only happened when opening/closing gate. I’m going to try turning off the hill assist and try that.
Others reported being able to shift to reverse then drive,but this one doesn’t react to that. The only way to get it to move is to give it fuel.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
When you shift into drive the light above drive lights up but the truck doesn’t move until you press on the gas pedal ? Does it “thunk” before it moves ? If so it sounds like your auto parking brake isn’t disengaging. When it happens again press the parking brake button and see if that works . I’m not saying that is definitely the issue but might be worth a try .

19 North

Reaction score
When you shift into drive the light above drive lights up but the truck doesn’t move until you press on the gas pedal ? Does it “thunk” before it moves ? If so it sounds like your auto parking brake isn’t disengaging. When it happens again press the parking brake button and see if that works . I’m not saying that is definitely the issue but might be worth a try .
The motor rev’s just like it’s in neutral,then when it does go in gear it shock loads the driveline. The first time it happened I had no idea what it was going to do,so it jumped 4-5’ before I could hit the brakes.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
The motor rev’s just like it’s in neutral,then when it does go in gear it shock loads the driveline. The first time it happened I had no idea what it was going to do,so it jumped 4-5’ before I could hit the brakes.
Sounds like it’s low on transmission fluid .

19 North

Reaction score
Sounds like it’s low on transmission fluid .
It’s possible, but hasn’t showed any other symptoms of low fluid. The only time it’s happened is when dealing with the gate which is on a hill.
I think something is binding up. I turned off the hill start this morning and will see what that does.

Users who are viewing this thread