5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello, can anyone clarify the pro's & con's of buying a used 2019 Ram 1500 labelled as "BUYBACK" ???

landk00

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone clarify the pro's & con's of buying a used 2019 Ram 1500 labelled as "BUYBACK" ???

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Sounds like it was a lemon law buyback? Probably had too many issues in too short a time frame. Make sure dealer GIVES you long term warranty.

Also ask dealer for all maintenance records to see what the problem was.

Personally I’d pay more for a new one and not pay 40k + for someone else’s problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STR

Reaction score
Typically buy-backs were someone else’s headache, who had to jump through a lot of hoops and battle with a giant to get resolution. There are plenty used trucks on the market. I would look elsewhere.

You have to also consider diminished value. Whatever deal you get will be projected on retail/trade-in value down the road. So, when that time comes, it’s not really a deal.

I’m bias though as a friend purchased a buy-back GT350 (Mustang), and as expected, was a nightmare... burning oil, stalling, trouble with alignment, etc. He definitely regretted his decision.

If you decide to pull the trigger, I agree with the above, have them throw in an extended warranty... w/loaner guaranteed, if that’s even possible. Good luck (y)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd put this in the same category as buying a vehicle with a salvage title. Maybe even worse to be honest. Unless the dealer is selling it for a seriously low price, and also includes a huge extended warranty deal (mopar warranty, not some 3rd party mess), I'd keep looking. As mentioned above, with the number of good used trucks out there, why even consider intentionally taking on someone else's problems?

landk00

Reaction score
Thanks for the great input !!!

Been looking for a low mile used 2019+ Ram 1500 hemi 4x4 with the 3.92 (seems harder to find) Use to occasionally tow a 6000 lbs wet travel trailer in the mountains.

YellowSled

Reaction score
if the price is right, with extended warranty then go ahead. just know there is a stain on the carfax that will impact the value when you go to sell it. Make sure you get one hell of a deal on it if you decide to buy it.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pro's: There are none. This was bought back because it had problems that could not be resolved.
Con's: This was bought back because it had problems that could not be resolved.

If I was going to consider it; I would investigate the maintenance history and make sure they threw in a long Bumper-to-Bumper warranty.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 4000 miles on mine with issues that they can’t fix tell me it’s fixed, but it’s not. Then told to call star because they have done all they canMine has not been bought back yet. I’ll sell it to you lol! Major balance, vibration issues, rack and pinion has been replaced. Been in shop 7 times in six months. Bottom line I would not buy a new ram!!! Good luck! I would not buy a buy back truck!

SASK_RT

Reaction score
I’m not sure if it applies in you case but I’ve heard of the term “lease buyback”. Maybe the truck you are looking at was a returned lease. It’s worth asking why it was a “buyback”

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if it applies in you case but I’ve heard of the term “lease buyback”. Maybe the truck you are looking at was a returned lease. It’s worth asking why it was a “buyback”
I think you're confusing "lease buyback" with "lease return". Technically, when you lease a vehicle you don't own it. So at the end of the lease, you have the option to buy it or return it. A vehicle which was returned and not bought by the person who leased it is a lease return. A lease buyback is if you were to sell a vehicle you owned outright, and then lease it back from the party who bought it. It's something that's more common with property, such as a house.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hopefully they have to disclose what the buyback was for. Take it for a spin, see what the issues are, or even better ask the dealer if you can test drive it for a few days. I've read a post or two about Rams being Lemoned for silly things like ANC or normal MDS operation

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My philosophy is this: having an available market for factory "buy-back" vehicles demotivates manufacturers to repair and return a vehicle to design status for the original purchaser. Knowing that there are people who will purchase a buy-back vehicle provides no incentive to correct problems with the vehicle.

Whatever the price is, will it justify having potentially serious or many issues that bring you to regret you took that path?

Best of luck,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 033709 miles.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only if its very well priced, less than half priced, and has lifetime warranty on whatever it was bought back for, ask for copies of all service records. I'd want a Mopar B2B forever.

Title will be branded, so expect NO RESALE value at all. I'd also want a 30 day right to return the vehicle if problems arise or recur.

Users who are viewing this thread