5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello Again!

EightSixtyConcepts

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Hello again friends! I'm Trevor... the engineer. I figured I'd say hello while I wait for my vendor account to be approved and sub-forum to be created.

In the meantime, this is my 5th gen. I'm a bit of a detailing nut and normally wash it once a week. It was ceramic coated the first week I got it and I've been working hard to keep it spotless since then. I'm on well water with 1000+ TDS so I built a filtration system in the garage to make and store enough zero TDS water for a full detail. It was a lot of work but I'll tell you the results are worth it. I mostly use CarPro products since that's the brand of ceramic coating. Now that I think of it, I'll have to dig around the forums for a detailing section to see what others are up to.

20240324_191344 (1).jpg

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice truck I’m curious to see your water filtration setup. I know those things can be extensive builds and costly $$$

EightSixtyConcepts

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Nice truck I’m curious to see your water filtration setup. I know those things can be extensive builds and costly $$$
Thanks! I ran a saltwater reef tank for years and you get the best results when you start with zero TDS water. Once I shut the tank down, I modified that system to feed my pressure washer.

Ace Ventura inhale......

It's an aquatic life RODI unit that takes it down from 1000+ TDS to 10-15. Even 10-15 is still probably better than most spot-free rinses at car washes. But because I can... that feeds into a dual DI cartridge that strips the remaining salts down to zero. I fill the brute container (reefing hack) with zero TDS water and then use a variable DC "return" pump to feed my pressure washer with just enough pressure to allow it to build it's own pressure as gravity feed alone wasn't enough. A couple of valves before the pressure washer allows me to switch between softened, wash water for the foam cannon and rinse water. I added the booster pump between the sediment/carbon filters and the RO membrane to maximize its efficiency. A float switch inside the brute can creates back pressure to signal the shut off switch. This shuts down the pump and closes the flow solenoid so the water completely stops flowing once the can is full.

And THAT is how you get the best spot free rinse.

20240501_185227.jpg

Last edited:

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dam that’s next level!

What’s a good budget filter setup that can go inline with a water hose?

EightSixtyConcepts

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Dam that’s next level!

What’s a good budget filter setup that can go inline with a water hose?

What kind of pressure do you get? And are you on city water?

The first problem with reverse osmosis is it makes roughly 4 gallons of waste water per gallon of RO water. For me, not a huge deal other than my well pump runs more often (a very small portion of my electric bill) but if you are on city water/sewer there's an associated cost.

The second is the membrane needs a certain water pressure to operate effectively. It will still work at lower pressures just not as well, and if you're also running it through deionization resin like I am, you'll burn through resin faster. I've only seen one time use resin. Once it's spent, it will change colors and will have to be replaced. Another associated cost.

Keep in mind, I did all this because I have hard water with super high TDS. My water eats metal. You might start with a TDS meter and see where you are sitting before making any decisions. If its low enough (maybe 100-200) you could go with just an inline DI cartridge like this one.

Looks nice !

Appreciate that!

Users who are viewing this thread