5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello... '22 Ridgeline owner here looking at Ram 1500

Ramisgood

Reaction score
If you've had multiple radios replaced in the same truck, I'd wager the fix isn't a new radio, nor would a software update fix the problem. I obviously couldn't tell you what the problem is, but I would ask the dealer to start checking elsewhere, or take it to another dealer.
I have been to both dealerships in our area. The first dealership is where we ordered it and all they want to do is reflash it but that doesn't help. The second dealership is where we bought the 18 and is the one that replaced the radio. My salesman at the first dealership told me he has a friend that went through 5 radios before he got one that worked properly. A technician at the second dealership as well as the service advisors are the ones that told me Stellantis is no longer authorizing them to replace faulty radios and to delay the customers until the new software comes out.

Reading on this and other Ram forums one can readily see issues with the UConnect 5s and 2018 was a bad year for delaminating and ghosting. I guess we were fortunate with our 18 in a way because it lasted past the warranty but then it's out of warranty. Some on the other website have had their faulty radios replaced by UConnect even though their warranty had expired. Ramcares contacted me today to set up a diagnostic appointment for my claim.

Some have been fortunate enough to have operable radios. I don't know the percentage of faulty radios but it's well documented on the three Ram forums I researched. The service advisors and tech all told me of people having multiple radios replaced; it's across the Stellantis line of products and not limited to the Rams.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
So it seems there is a bad batch of radios and a huge disconnect between u-connect and Ram, and no one wants to admit fault and it becomes the customer problem which is sad. You have found the answer! One has to get lucky to find a good radio after many tries and trips to the dealer (bad manufacturing and support). One has to get everything in writing and keep a paper trail contacting ramcares /fca and have your case escalated if needed, unfortunately this is the only solution for now which in my opinion is unacceptable.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
I have been to both dealerships in our area. The first dealership is where we ordered it and all they want to do is reflash it but that doesn't help. The second dealership is where we bought the 18 and is the one that replaced the radio. My salesman at the first dealership told me he has a friend that went through 5 radios before he got one that worked properly. A technician at the second dealership as well as the service advisors are the ones that told me Stellantis is no longer authorizing them to replace faulty radios and to delay the customers until the new software comes out.

Reading on this and other Ram forums one can readily see issues with the UConnect 5s and 2018 was a bad year for delaminating and ghosting. I guess we were fortunate with our 18 in a way because it lasted past the warranty but then it's out of warranty. Some on the other website have had their faulty radios replaced by UConnect even though their warranty had expired. Ramcares contacted me today to set up a diagnostic appointment for my claim.

Some have been fortunate enough to have operable radios. I don't know the percentage of faulty radios but it's well documented on the three Ram forums I researched. The service advisors and tech all told me of people having multiple radios replaced; it's across the Stellantis line of products and not limited to the Rams.
20230214_152713.png 20230214_152926.png

Cool Dad

Reaction score
Well I think I nailed down what I'm looking for, then come back & these Uconnect stories worry me. Looking for a Bighorn quad cab V6, 6 seats, 7" gauges, Level 1. Used to have a 4.3" Uconnect in a Journey and that was the best little basic unit. I'd probably be happy with the 5" if I could also get a power seat and 7" gauges but Level 1 = 8.4". I really only use Pandora / BT and a jump drive. Just some good quality speakers is all I need, and I have an old Basslink that needs a home. I'm too old for loud but I still like quality. Even the Honda with good speakers sounds so much better (if no louder).
Welcome to the family. I've owned several Honda's. All were Preludes, and most were 3rd gens. I loved those cars. They make my top 5 list of the 50 cars and trucks I've owned in my lifetime. I can't say the same for any other Honda models I've driven though. And that would include the Ridgeline. They're fine I guess. I'm sure they're very reliable, as are most Honda's. And they look okay IMHO. They're just kind of boring. I think you'll be very happy with a Ram!
Rams have been works of art since '02. But the '21+ Ridgelines look decent. Sure they're reliable if you maintain them, but that's really involved and pricey if you dig into the details. Many are dealing w/ broken windshields every 6-12 mos, which are $1,400 due to heat strips & the Honda Sensing crap that doesn't work right. Many others are dealing with unfixable water intrusion. And the non-Pilot parts are not readily available which is actually a lot of parts. And accessories? Forget it!!
What issues have you had with Honda's 3.5? My '07 Ridgeline had a 3.5 and it was problem free for 100k, even after I sold it to my son who put another 100k on it. Is the 3.5 in the new Ridgelines too?
Yes the legendary 3.5 is in the Ridgeline, Pilot, Passport, Odyssey. But in this one the start-stop is rough and I'm concerned the starter will loosen itself or fail. I get only 17/23 mpg and it's rough for '22. VTEC sounds nasty, not in a good way. I came out of a '15 Impala and that 3.6 was a great engine. I recently rented a Pacifica and liked that V6 better than the Honda's, smooth ride but the rest of the van was crappy.

Last edited:

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
Well I think I nailed down what I'm looking for, then come back & these Uconnect stories worry me. Looking for a Bighorn quad cab V6, 6 seats, 7" gauges, Level 1. Used to have a 4.3" Uconnect in a Journey and that was the best little basic unit. I'd probably be happy with the 5" if I could also get a power seat and 7" gauges but Level 1 = 8.4". I really only use Pandora / BT and a jump drive. Just some good quality speakers is all I need, and I have an old Basslink that needs a home. I'm too old for loud but I still like quality. Even the Honda with good speakers sounds so much better (if no louder).

Rams have been works of art since '02. But the '21+ Ridgelines look decent. Sure they're reliable if you maintain them, but that's really involved and pricey if you dig into the details. Many are dealing w/ broken windshields every 6-12 mos, which are $1,400 due to heat strips & the Honda Sensing crap that doesn't work right. Many others are dealing with unfixable water intrusion. And the non-Pilot parts are not readily available which is actually a lot of parts. And accessories? Forget it!!

Yes the legendary 3.5 is in the Ridgeline, Pilot, Passport, Odyssey. But in this one the start-stop is rough and I'm concerned the starter will loosen itself or fail. I get only 17/23 mpg and it's rough for '22. VTEC sounds nasty, not in a good way. I came out of a '15 Impala and that 3.6 was a great engine. I recently rented a Pacifica and liked that V6 better than the Honda's, smooth ride but the rest of the van was crappy.
That's good, I went with the Level 2 group and 8.4 uconnect not the IPad 12 inch size. I couldn't make up my mind for 5 or 6 seats but wanted black interior, and fabric seats I don't like leather because I keep my vehicles till they die, I put Roughcountry seatcovers, weather tech bug deflector and window sun shade set, offer up take off night edition wheels/tires, gatorback front and rear mud flaps, bakx4s tonneau cover, night edition headlights (amazon), rebel black led tailights(ebay), mcguard wheel locks (amazon) black, silver were installed new, dash cam wired to rearview mirror, alfaOBD2 programmer (amazon) and factory ram rubber floormats (amazon) bc I wanted carpet mats from factory. Went with the 5 seater, Big Horn v6 engine paired with the pedal commander which can spin the tires in sports mode. If you do a factory order.... PLease make sure you get invoice pricing, rebates and 0% chrysler capital financing if avail. I received 0% financing and $4750 in rebates bc it arrived memorial day weekend. Interest over time meaning longer the loan will create a $70-80,000 truck depending on the model which is crazy! That does not include all the extras, gap insurance, wheel and tire protection, extended coverage/ maintenance plans, wheel locks, fabric guard ect.... The finance guy was not happy when I said no to all these things. I simply said I do all my maintenance/ repairs and showed my ASE certifications. Anyway regardless of which model you choose, you can always modify your truck to your personal liking.

Attachments

• 20221030_084052.jpg
    20221030_084052.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20221030_084401.jpg
    20221030_084401.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20221030_084037.jpg
    20221030_084037.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221030_084146.jpg
    20221030_084146.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230110_220441.jpg
    20230110_220441.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230110_193209.jpg
    20230110_193209.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230110_193011.jpg
    20230110_193011.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220605_203852-1.jpg
    20220605_203852-1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221212_102149~2.jpg
    20221212_102149~2.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221221_105817-1.jpg
    20221221_105817-1.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Thundercracker9

Reaction score
I’m in a similar boat. Want to move on from my Tacoma to a clean 2019 BH with level 2 package and 30 k miles. Dealer asking $35k. Reasonable?

Cool Dad

Reaction score
Well I've gone and done it!-- traded in the '22 Ridgeline for a late '22 Ram 1500 Lonestar Quad cab. Bottomline $ difference was $598 so basically an even exchange! Honda had 11k miles ; Ram has 5k miles. It's in perfect shape-- I wish this thing could talk! It was optioned out with almost exactly what I was looking for-- 8.4 screen, 7" gauges, 6 seats, dual climate, Mopar hard tonneau cover, spray in bedliner and limo tint. Actually the tint is way too dark so that'll get redone. I've been very busy @ work so it's slow learning the gadgets but I'm much happier driving this. Believe it or not I find it a little easier to drive & park than the Honda. No hate from me -- it served its purpose transitioning me from cars to trucks. And I will miss that stinky trunk-in-bed. Onward & upward!!

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well I've gone and done it!-- traded in the '22 Ridgeline for a late '22 Ram 1500 Lonestar Quad cab. Bottomline $ difference was $598 so basically an even exchange! Honda had 11k miles ; Ram has 5k miles. It's in perfect shape-- I wish this thing could talk! It was optioned out with almost exactly what I was looking for-- 8.4 screen, 7" gauges, 6 seats, dual climate, Mopar hard tonneau cover, spray in bedliner and limo tint. Actually the tint is way too dark so that'll get redone. I've been very busy @ work so it's slow learning the gadgets but I'm much happier driving this. Believe it or not I find it a little easier to drive & park than the Honda. No hate from me -- it served its purpose transitioning me from cars to trucks. And I will miss that stinky trunk-in-bed. Onward & upward!!
Congrats, man! Post some pics when you get a chance

beetlespin

Reaction score
Just got done shopping with the wife for an SUV for her. Honda's prices were rediculous. Plus they wanted to tack on $3000 because they were the only game in town with a couple of cars on the lot. Drove 2 hours away to get her a great deal on a Hyundai Tucson.

I did peak at the Ridgelines and they were nice but they are basically a car. You should get great trade in value for the Ridgeline and a Ram will put you in a real truck with real truck room and real truck towing capacities.

I traded in my Ford Ranger. Loved the truck, hated the size. I felt like I had no room, I just felt cramped.

Sit in a Ram, drive the Ram, be the Ram.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online