5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello... '22 Ridgeline owner here looking at Ram 1500

Cool Dad

Reaction score
Yeah- I bought a new '22 Ridgeline in March '22. Go ahead and poke fun, I can take it. :p At least I got it for MSRP which was a great deal back then. While there aren't any fatal flaws with this thing, it has a ton of irritations. I'll spare the details but I already want to unload it and maybe get a Ram 1500 Big Horn Level 1. This Ridgeline holds its value and it looks like a near-even exchange for a new '22, which surprises me! Maybe there's a catch but dealers have dozens of new '22s around here discounted heavily.

I'm a car guy at heart... I'm 45 and worked in an auto shop for almost 3 years after college, before my STEM office jobs. Had cars such as an LTD, Impala, Mustang 5.0 5-spd, Intrepid, and others. Owned all the Big 3s, Honda, Acura & Toyota. Never owned a truck- still don't! :) Coming from big cars, the Ridgeline made sense as an "intro" to trucks and the test drive sold me, but the longer I own it the more it annoys me. Honda makes some great small cars and Acuras are pretty cool, but they are just lost in the truck world. And it's a shame because the Ridgeline has a lot of potential.

BTW the Dodges were my favorite vehicles. They had the most soul and had the best stock stereos and tech. And I never had any real mechanical troubles with them. Just the driver seats tended to wear out after 7-8 years. I'd like to keep this longer and give to my son who is now 10. Anyway I go look at them next week, wish me luck, I might be coming back home in a few weeks!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah- I bought a new '22 Ridgeline in March '22. Go ahead and poke fun, I can take it. :p At least I got it for MSRP which was a great deal back then. While there aren't any fatal flaws with this thing, it has a ton of irritations. I'll spare the details but I already want to unload it and maybe get a Ram 1500 Big Horn Level 1. This Ridgeline holds its value and it looks like a near-even exchange for a new '22, which surprises me! Maybe there's a catch but dealers have dozens of new '22s around here discounted heavily.

I'm a car guy at heart... I'm 45 and worked in an auto shop for almost 3 years after college, before my STEM office jobs. Had cars such as an LTD, Impala, Mustang 5.0 5-spd, Intrepid, and others. Owned all the Big 3s, Honda, Acura & Toyota. Never owned a truck- still don't! :) Coming from big cars, the Ridgeline made sense as an "intro" to trucks and the test drive sold me, but the longer I own it the more it annoys me. Honda makes some great small cars and Acuras are pretty cool, but they are just lost in the truck world. And it's a shame because the Ridgeline has a lot of potential.

BTW the Dodges were my favorite vehicles. They had the most soul and had the best stock stereos and tech. And I never had any real mechanical troubles with them. Just the driver seats tended to wear out after 7-8 years. I'd like to keep this longer and give to my son who is now 10. Anyway I go look at them next week, wish me luck, I might be coming back home in a few weeks!
These new rams are very nice, until one or several of the unresolved issue arrive😩

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

And you can take the bag of your head when you drive the Ram …

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Best wishes on your pursuit.
Have 3 Hondas (Accord, Civic, Fit), 1 Toyota (Celica), and a 2001 Dodge Ram. All good (y):).
My 2019 Ram 1500 has been remarkably pleasing for myself and passengers, above and beyond anything else I have owned and passing expectations for a "truck".
Hope your experience is similar.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Welcome, and good luck in your hunt!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I personally love Hondas, had many in my lifetime, as a Filipino growing up in Socal, it was practically law that your parents buy you an Acura Integra when you turn 18 yrs old.

I will say when it comes to build quality, I was a little apprehensive buying a Mopar product. I was and still am a lifelong Ford truck fan, but I have to admit, my 2019 RAM Rebel which I bought new has been probably my best new vehicle purchase in terms of reliability and being trouble free.

I've owned many new vehicles in the last 20 years, including premium brands, but my RAM has honestly been one of the most satisfying. I normally get bored every 3-4 years and get something new, but haven't had that itch yet, I think I will keep this truck for a long time.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
2019 Limited per my sig. Love my truck and I have no complaints at all. I would consider a used Ram in a higher trim, you won't be disappointed.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
Just came back from the Chicago Auto Show and sat in a Ridgeline, back seat too small and interior looks cheap/plain. I use to be in automotive 15 years ago as a technician and always wanted a Ram, age 40 my first new vehicle... 20230109_140314.jpg A Ram, you will not be disappointed!

Blue Angel

Reaction score
I have had 3 Honda Ridgeline's Touring Edition's and CR-V Touring,Civic Touring,Accord etc.
Honda is the largest engine builders in the world and certainly have mastered the process.
Back to the Ridgeline Great Car/Pickup,Definitely boring to drive and the interior the same.
I purchased the 2021 Ram 1500 limited with the Rambox and Split Tail Gate option.Hemi with E-Torque.
It's like I first got my drivers license, looking for any excuse to drive anywhere.There is no comparison between the Ram and Ridgeline and should not be. One is excellent car/pickup. The other a full seize pickup TRUCK.The most important is the intended use of any vehicle, they all are designed for the many possibility's and no one vehicle can do it all.

Cool Dad

Reaction score
And you can take the bag of your head when you drive the Ram …
Haha, well I guess the 20% tint serves another purpose.
Honda is the largest engine builders in the world and certainly have mastered the process.
Honda makes great I-4's and smaller cars, but I don't care for the 3.5 though I'm sure it'll last.
Just came back from the Chicago Auto Show and sat in a Ridgeline, back seat too small and interior looks cheap/plain.
Interior is old Acura-ish quality but it's plain. Backseat size isn't far off from a quad cab. What drives me nuts is the arm rest, even with my noodle arms. You have to put your arm exactly there or nowhere, no console to hold your girlfriend's wife's hand. That whole wasted space could hold a 6th seat... and that 6th seat in the basic Ram would be very useful! Same for the 6'4" bed. The Honda bed holds 4x8s but it's shallow and I'm scared things will fly out. I also find this Honda "tech" awful. I'm happier with basics + a comfy power seat, good speakers & a couple useful aftermarket things. Many other issues here that a test drive or a weekly rental won't reveal- you notice them after living with them. But enough complaining...

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
Many great points! Next question will be V6 or V8?.... V8 requires 89 octane$$. I chose the V6 bc I'm about fuel savings/ gas mielage, but I have a pedal commander. Many good people on here with a lot of knowledge and will answer any questions you have! You want invoice pricing as well with rebates if you choose. And test drive as much as you need or you can take a ride in mine if you live in Illinios.

Ramisgood

Reaction score

Due to lack of ground clearance and poor 4 wheel drive ability, we traded our 2021 Pilot in on a 2022 Ram Bighorn with the V-6. We get almost the same mpg as the Pilot but the truck is far more comfortable and quiet than the Pilot was. Now for the negative aspect: The UConnect radio in the Ram is a crap shoot whether you get one that works or not. We've had our truck since June and have had two radios, neither of which work properly. Been to two dealerships, put on over 1500 miles inn travel to the stealer ships, numerous days waiting in the speakership for troubleshooting, diagnostics, etc. Bottom line, we were told that no new radios are being installed anymore because a new software upgrade will be coming in in the next quarter or two. Ram DOES NOT back their warranty; you will be gambling with a lot of money and it's your choice.

Two weeks ago the UConnect4 system in our 2018 Laramie went TU. The speakership said that it's $2000 to replace it. You can find used units for a grand without any warranty. This is also a known problem but we were fortunate that ours went so long and now it's out of warranty. Waiting for it to totally die before we purchase an aftermarket replacement.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Many great points! Next question will be V6 or V8?.... V8 requires 89 octane$$. I chose the V6 bc I'm about fuel savings/ gas mielage, but I have a pedal commander. Many good people on here with a lot of knowledge and will answer any questions you have! You want invoice pricing as well with rebates if you choose. And test drive as much as you need or you can take a ride in mine if you live in Illinios.

The V8 does not require 89 octane.

Octane.jpg

HemiDude

Reaction score
Due to lack of ground clearance and poor 4 wheel drive ability, we traded our 2021 Pilot in on a 2022 Ram Bighorn with the V-6. We get almost the same mpg as the Pilot but the truck is far more comfortable and quiet than the Pilot was. Now for the negative aspect: The UConnect radio in the Ram is a crap shoot whether you get one that works or not. We've had our truck since June and have had two radios, neither of which work properly. Been to two dealerships, put on over 1500 miles inn travel to the stealer ships, numerous days waiting in the speakership for troubleshooting, diagnostics, etc. Bottom line, we were told that no new radios are being installed anymore because a new software upgrade will be coming in in the next quarter or two. Ram DOES NOT back their warranty; you will be gambling with a lot of money and it's your choice.

Two weeks ago the UConnect4 system in our 2018 Laramie went TU. The speakership said that it's $2000 to replace it. You can find used units for a grand without any warranty. This is also a known problem but we were fortunate that ours went so long and now it's out of warranty. Waiting for it to totally die before we purchase an aftermarket replacement.
If you've had multiple radios replaced in the same truck, I'd wager the fix isn't a new radio, nor would a software update fix the problem. I obviously couldn't tell you what the problem is, but I would ask the dealer to start checking elsewhere, or take it to another dealer.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Welcome to the family. I've owned several Honda's. All were Preludes, and most were 3rd gens. I loved those cars. They make my top 5 list of the 50 cars and trucks I've owned in my lifetime. I can't say the same for any other Honda models I've driven though. And that would include the Ridgeline. They're fine I guess. I'm sure they're very reliable, as are most Honda's. And they look okay IMHO. They're just kind of boring. I think you'll be very happy with a Ram!

HemiDude

Reaction score
Haha, well I guess the 20% tint serves another purpose.

Honda makes great I-4's and smaller cars, but I don't care for the 3.5 though I'm sure it'll last.

Interior is old Acura-ish quality but it's plain. Backseat size isn't far off from a quad cab. What drives me nuts is the arm rest, even with my noodle arms. You have to put your arm exactly there or nowhere, no console to hold your girlfriend's wife's hand. That whole wasted space could hold a 6th seat... and that 6th seat in the basic Ram would be very useful! Same for the 6'4" bed. The Honda bed holds 4x8s but it's shallow and I'm scared things will fly out. I also find this Honda "tech" awful. I'm happier with basics + a comfy power seat, good speakers & a couple useful aftermarket things. Many other issues here that a test drive or a weekly rental won't reveal- you notice them after living with them. But enough complaining...
What issues have you had with Honda's 3.5? My '07 Ridgeline had a 3.5 and it was problem free for 100k, even after I sold it to my son who put another 100k on it. Is the 3.5 in the new Ridgelines too?

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
If you've had multiple radios replaced in the same truck, I'd wager the fix isn't a new radio, nor would a software update fix the problem. I obviously couldn't tell you what the problem is, but I would ask the dealer to start checking elsewhere, or take it to another dealer.
I have the u-connect 8.4 small screen, I mostly listen to my engine when I drive, It has glitched a few times and I have done a hard reset, I received a recall for the back up camera software update but refuse to let the dealership touch my vehicle, it glitched one time but I don't mind I always turn my head anyway and software updates can cause issues too! Example, (I phones).... now a persons battery dies quicker after the update but before their were no issues. We need to get to the bottom of these radio issues. I have been working Boeing 787 aircraft since they entered into service, in the beginning their were many issues with various systems of the aircraft, this was fixed by us uploading software which was weird to me. Now not as many problems as in the beginning and software is uploaded through a ground network and via satellite as well. What I'm saying is all old stuff like fridges, 90's cars, washing machines never had these issues. Introducing intricate electronic systems can create issues if not supported by the manufacturers; this causes issues, upset customers, premature failures, and total losses. Software causes correct or incorrect communication with various controllers, modules, systems, and the canbus network within the vehicle. On aircraft we have various systems and components that have shielded wiring that is necessary to protect the unit and from voltage/ lightning strikes as well. If damaged, their is no protection and components can become damaged; we also have fiber optics but that's another story! I have ebay metro pcs phones, always my wife and people with I phones have issues, need software updates and older phones get no support, no thanks. I'm happy with my simple cheap android. Back in the day GM had issues with their radio/ onstar navigation system and many customers were forced to pay$$$ for new radios due to bad shielding damaging the unit. I've been out of the field as a auto tech for 15 years and its so different with electronics and the canbus network as every module reports to each other in order to operate correctly, if one unit reports back a incorrect address/module/info, it is kicked out of the house because they are seen as a criminal or stranger. This is the same in agriculture farming equipment and semi's as well as I have learned from my diesel/heavy equipment school... every module reports to the network!! Technicians can not be parts changers robbing customers for their money only for them to return with the same broken issue, it takes skill, proper diagnosing, listening to the customer, getting proper support from the manufacturers and manufacturers building quality parts.... for example I changed so many internet wifi antennas on top of this 787 aircraft due to failure of units from the manufacturer. I just hope dealers aren't charging customers for something not caused by them or out of their control. Technicians do damage as well by carelessness for example forgetting to attach the grounding wire to a unit or making sure the resistance is within limits using a bonding or similar resistance meter (not wearing a electro static discharge strap) when handling units or circuit boards... this is critical and was the same when I volunteered as a biomedical technician in hospitals. Shipping and parts must handle things carefully too... a dropped box can be a radio installed into a customer's vehicle only to fail!

What issues are you having with your radio? Do you have the larger 12 inch screen? Navigation?

Attachments

• 20201013_030114-1.jpg
    20201013_030114-1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online