5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heavy Load LOUD banging sound

jeff8428

Reaction score
I picked up a pallet of tile today that weighed 1200 pounds. When they set it in the truck (with a forklift) there was a very loud banging sound under the truck like something broke. Once I offloaded the tile everything seemed fine. I cannot tell any difference in the way it sits or how it drives, but it definitely sounded like something "broke" underneath. I looked and I could not see anything obviously wrong underneath. The truck is listed for way more of a payload capacity than this, but I am worried I broke something. It is a 2019 RAM bighorn 4 X4 crew cab 6'3 bed 5.7 liter. Has anyone had this happen or have any ideas what it might have been. WORRIED TO DEATH that I screwed up my new truck. Not sure if this should be in towing, but it looked like the best fit. I appreciate any input anyone might have.

2wd

Reaction score
sorry to hear this.

Do you have air suspension or coil? There have been a couple folks who have air suspension fail and it is loud when it does.

kevinssaco

Reaction score
I picked up a pallet of tile today that weighed 1200 pounds. When they set it in the truck (with a forklift) there was a very loud banging sound under the truck like something broke. Once I offloaded the tile everything seemed fine. I cannot tell any difference in the way it sits or how it drives, but it definitely sounded like something "broke" underneath. I looked and I could not see anything obviously wrong underneath. The truck is listed for way more of a payload capacity than this, but I am worried I broke something. It is a 2019 RAM bighorn 4 X4 crew cab 6'3 bed 5.7 liter. Has anyone had this happen or have any ideas what it might have been. WORRIED TO DEATH that I screwed up my new truck. Not sure if this should be in towing, but it looked like the best fit. I appreciate any input anyone might have.
It's still under warranty. Bring it to the dealer for a once over. If the weight was within your alloted payload ask them what it could have been. Im guessing it sat down on the overloads and something shifted.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your truck probably isn't rated for WAY more than 1200 lbs, but I'd guess as much as 1450-1500 lbs, so you should have been well withing the payload capacity, assuming an otherwise empty truck. Now, did the truck rock back and forth when the forklift driver dropped the pallet in? Could have been some slack in the drivetrain being taken up, the slip yokes seem to pop every once in a while on these trucks. If it's driving fine, and you dont' see anything obvious underneath, my bet is you're good.

Also, could it be a box of tile that broke? Or a nail from the pallet hitting the bed?

Welcome to the forums, and congrats on the truck! Toss your truck info in your sig so that it's easy for everyone to see during your next posts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread