5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heavy Duty Spring Replacement

KurtA

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their rear coils with an aftermarket spring, like those sold at Etrailer or SD Truck Spings?

Were they noticeably stuffer, and did they change the ride height?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have no knowledge of any 5th gen owners who have, maybe post this on a 3rd or 4th gen forum. There are other air suspension system owners who have gone back to regular coils (in other makes) due to high replacement costs.

R

Rob5589

Has anyone replaced their rear coils with an aftermarket spring, like those sold at Etrailer or SD Truck Spings?

What are you looking to accomplish?

R

Rob5589

Less sag, when I hook up my travel trailer. (No, I don't want air bags.)

In that case, your best bet would be to find a variable/dual rate spring. A single rate spring with enough rate to get rid of sag will diminish ride quality quite a bit. Any reason you do not want helper bags?

Dire Wolf

Reaction score
I had the tuff truck 1211 on my 4th gen to help with sag when hauling my ATV in the bed. I called them before buying and they said not to do the variable because those only stiffen up after you see about two inches of sag (truck was also leveled). Stiffened the ride some, but not too bad. Only noticed it on really bouncy roads. I pulled them and hope to install them on my 5th gen. Tuff truck said they would fit, and I have the North Edition with the one inch lift. Biggest thing was when I had the stock springs reinstalled on the 4th gen, the truck felt like the back end was so wishy washy! I pulled over to make sure a wheel wasn't falling off! I was just not used to the stock ride anymore. Really liked them on my 4th gen. Waiting for Bilstein adjustables to come out and will add the Tuff Truck 1211 then. Fingers crossed they will fit.

KurtA

Reaction score
I had the tuff truck 1211 on my 4th gen to help with sag when hauling my ATV in the bed. I called them before buying and they said not to do the variable because those only stiffen up after you see about two inches of sag (truck was also leveled). Stiffened the ride some, but not too bad. Only noticed it on really bouncy roads. I pulled them and hope to install them on my 5th gen. Tuff truck said they would fit, and I have the North Edition with the one inch lift. Biggest thing was when I had the stock springs reinstalled on the 4th gen, the truck felt like the back end was so wishy washy! I pulled over to make sure a wheel wasn't falling off! I was just not used to the stock ride anymore. Really liked them on my 4th gen. Waiting for Bilstein adjustables to come out and will add the Tuff Truck 1211 then. Fingers crossed they will fit.
Thanks for relaying your experiences here. I see where the 1211's are 2400# springs... a bit heavier-duty than what i was looking at (the 1210's).. but good information.
Did you happen to replace the rear shocks at the same time? That might have contributed to the rougher ride. Do you remember if they lifted the truck at all? (I'm hoping not, as that's what they claim.)

Last edited:

Dire Wolf

Reaction score
Thanks for relaying your experiences here. I see where the 1211's are 2400# springs... a bit heavier-duty than what i was looking at (the 1210's).. but good information.
Did you happen to replace the rear shocks at the same time? That might have contributed to the rougher ride. Do you remember if they lifted the truck at all? (I'm hoping not, as that's what they claim.)

With the Bilsteins, I went with 2.1 up front and a 1" puck in the rear. The rear Bilstein shocks were for up to 1" puck. The springs did not lift the truck at all. Added the springs after the shocks, so the ride change I noticed was definitely the springs. Left the Bilsteins in when I pulled the springs. I recommend calling Tuff Truck for your application. They are very nice and helpful and will discuss pros and cons.

KurtA

Reaction score
Thank you again, yours is the only real-world experience I've encountered I'm looking at the TTC -1210's, which are 2250# springs. ... How heavy was your ATV? How much did the rear end drop when it was loaded?

Last edited:

Dire Wolf

Reaction score
Thank you again, yours is the only real-world experience I've encountered I'm looking at the TTC -1210's, which are 2250# springs. ... How heavy was your ATV? How much did the rear end drop when it was loaded?
Not much sag with the 1211's, maybe an inch. With the stock spring, 2-3 inches. Road really nose high. And I don't like the Cali Lean look :). ATV weighs #678 dry. Should mention I had the 5 and a half foot bed. Longer bed may have distributed the weight differently. Lots of discussions on the tuff truck springs on the ramforum site.

ATV is #725. OEM springs 2-3 inch drop. 1211's, less than an inch.

Double check the fitment on the 1210. They only fit the 2019 classic, not the 5th gen. They recommend the 1211 or the 1223v.

Some helpful discussion on the ramforumz site too.

Dire Wolf

Reaction score
Sorry, my phone screwed up and I double replied. ATV is #725.

kf702

Reaction score

My truck is a 2019 5th Gen Tradesman with the Town Package and heavy duty springs (I bought it used, got a great deal) I live in Las Vegas and the ride on the desert roads is way to stiff.
I was going to add the Mopar Fox lift/level but would like to swap the springs as well IF I can get a softer ride as I may two twice a year. Suggestins? Is there an OEM standard spring, can I get the Rebel Springs?

Users who are viewing this thread