5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heated Steering Wheel

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious, is there a way to set the level for the heated steering wheel. Or is it just one setting, The steering wheel gets a bit too hot. Like the heated seats you have three comfort levels. Just curious. Thanks.
Mine gets way too warm for comfort. I just shut it off

PTRAM

Reaction score
My heated steering doesn't get as warm as I would like it too me as it has never felt "hot" but just warm so maybe mine is working as it should.
Mine does not get very hot, just a little warm. I am wondering if there is something wrong with mine.

If something is wrong with you I have had 4 Jeeps and my current Ram which has something wrong with them. I have never had the steering wheel get too hot for my hands but just warm. Now my seats sometimes get my behind too hot but not in my Ram so far and it has three settings instead of just two in my Jeep.

Chris

Reaction score
If you want to experience the hottest part, touch the metal bars on the lower steering column piece that connect to the lower part of the steering wheel. I think that is the part that heats and conducts to the rest of the wheel, and that is the one place that burns me on high. The bottom of the wheel is relatively hot, with the rest of the wheel getting gradually cooler until the top of the wheel which is near ambient for me.

Mason1217

Reaction score
Mine does not get very hot, just a little warm. I am wondering if there is something wrong with mine.
Same boat for me, I see all these comments about “too hot” “have to turn it off” “gets hotter when heated seats are on high” and I scratch my head every single time, because mine is basically pointless. Will “warm” your hands a little if you hold the bottom of the wheel. That’s it.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same boat for me, I see all these comments about “too hot” “have to turn it off” “gets hotter when heated seats are on high” and I scratch my head every single time, because mine is basically pointless. Will “warm” your hands a little if you hold the bottom of the wheel. That’s it.
Take yours in for replacement. Mine gets hot, hot, hot. I frequently turn it off after starting the truck.

grinch72

Reaction score
Mine is gets too hot on the bottom but not the top!

Service Advisor: "No problem found"
Service Manager: "Oh it is hotter on the bottom, My Jeep is the same so that's normal"

This is but one example of the level of ineptitude at Garavel RAM in Norwalk CT....

Matt
I’ll never purchase another vehicle from a dealer that hasn’t won a customer first award. Crowley in Bristol, CT has been one of the best dealers/service dept that I have ever worked with.

Dgulia

Reaction score
Steering wheel on mine sucks, bottom gets decently warm and top is barely warm. If it's single digit temps you may forget the top to get warm. I took it in and off course dealer said it's within FCA specs.

MattF

Reaction score
I’ll never purchase another vehicle from a dealer that hasn’t won a customer first award. Crowley in Bristol, CT has been one of the best dealers/service dept that I have ever worked with.

I would drive that hour for great service. Maybe I should contact them

Thanks

Matt

Mechaero19

Reaction score
So over the weekend I tested the seat temperature to see if it is directly related to the steering wheel. I put the seat temperature in high and low. The steering wheel was the same. Burning up.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
From the manual (emphasis mine)....

Heated Steering Wheel — If Equipped

The steering wheel contains a heating element that helps
warm your hands in cold weather. The heated steering wheel
has only one temperature setting.
Once the heated steering
wheel has been turned on, it will stay on until the operator
turns it off. The heated steering wheel may not turn on when
it is already warm.

XDBrad

Reaction score
Well, it looks like the FCA engineers have this issue squarely nailed. The manual states one setting but yet some owners have heated wheels that one setting and some have at least two settings. I love my 5th gen RAM but I have zero confidence in the manual or if we should have 1 heat setting or 2. Regardless of what the manual states, my heat changes with the seat setting. Like I said before, maybe mine is broken and it’s only supposed to have a single setting - but I won’t be asking anyone to look at it. They fix the wheel heat it might make the brakes squeal...

Jwsmith

Reaction score
Well, it looks like the FCA engineers have this issue squarely nailed. The manual states one setting but yet some owners have heated wheels that one setting and some have at least two settings. I love my 5th gen RAM but I have zero confidence in the manual or if we should have 1 heat setting or 2. Regardless of what the manual states, my heat changes with the seat setting. Like I said before, maybe mine is broken and it’s only supposed to have a single setting - but I won’t be asking anyone to look at it. They fix the wheel heat it might make the brakes squeal...
It would be interesting to have a wiring diagram to trace it in relationship to the seat heat. Plenty of cautions about medical conditions that make people hyper sensitive to the heat.

djwdjw

Reaction score
I attempted to use the FLIR camera on the hottest portion of the steering wheel (the leather seam on either side, bottom). I still did not really get anything conclusive.

It seemed pretty hot when the seats were on high and also pretty hot in this spot when the seats were on low. I think it might be just the way it heats (on-off cycling if I had to guess). Nevertheless the same spots sometimes were ~~110F, sometimes 125+F

Sorry I am not the greatest photographer and the FLIR is a bit fiddly on my iPad.

20190306T161612.JPG

20190306T161651.JPG

20190306T161817.JPG

20190306T161818.JPG

20190306T161833.JPG

20190306T161925.JPG

20190306T161943.JPG

20190306T162055.JPG

20190306T162111.JPG

Attachments

• 20190306T161858.JPG
    20190306T161858.JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

1500DFW

Reaction score
Reviving this old thread. Does anybody else have an issue with their steering wheel not getting warm on the top portion? The lower part gets noticeably and comfortably warm. The top part is somewhere between cool and ambient. Is this normal or do I need to take it in. It is definitely an issue in the cold.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Reviving this old thread. Does anybody else have an issue with their steering wheel not getting warm on the top portion? The lower part gets noticeably and comfortably warm. The top part is somewhere between cool and ambient. Is this normal or do I need to take it in. It is definitely an issue in the cold.
My steering wheel is similar but adequate on top. Noticeable difference between top and bottom. Wouldn't mind a touch more heat on top.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would say the top is warm and the bottom is hot for me.

Users who are viewing this thread