5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heated Steering Wheel

Mechaero19

Reaction score
Just curious, is there a way to set the level for the heated steering wheel. Or is it just one setting, The steering wheel gets a bit too hot. Like the heated seats you have three comfort levels. Just curious. Thanks.

klail

Reaction score
Just curious, is there a way to set the level for the heated steering wheel. Or is it just one setting, The steering wheel gets a bit too hot. Like the heated seats you have three comfort levels. Just curious. Thanks.
To my knowledge, it is just on or off. I haven't seen any other setting within the Uconnect system

colo-pr

Reaction score
i noticed that mine is pretty hot compared with my Grand Cherokee 2014 BUT, i usually have cold hands so I will like to keep it that way, actually i hope it doesnt go colder over the years :)

maddog49

Reaction score
I also noticed the temp seems to change with the drivers seat warmer setting . Nowhere is this documented. Maybe I'll take a thermal gun to it tomorrow and test.

XDBrad

Reaction score
Maybe mine is different but it certainly does work that way on mine. With the seat on high, the wheel is super hot. Put the seat on low and the wheel is just warm. Then again maybe mine is broke but I sure don’t want it fixed!

Mechaero19

Reaction score
I have not thought to adjust the seat temperature to see if it make a difference. But ill give it a shot. It radiats really hot at the mid section towards the bottom. Its like spilling hot dunkin donut coffee on your hands. I also have 2018 GMC Acadia Denali, and the steering wheel temperature is perfect, not too hot not warm. But the Laramie is really hot.

MattF

Reaction score
Mine is gets too hot on the bottom but not the top!

Service Advisor: "No problem found"
Service Manager: "Oh it is hotter on the bottom, My Jeep is the same so that's normal"

This is but one example of the level of ineptitude at Garavel RAM in Norwalk CT....

Matt

Mechaero19

Reaction score
Mine is gets too hot on the bottom but not the top!

Service Advisor: "No problem found"
Service Manager: "Oh it is hotter on the bottom, My Jeep is the same so that's normal"

This is but one example of the level of ineptitude at Garavel RAM in Norwalk CT....

Matt

Yup, I dislike lazy advisors at the dealer. I have a 2019 Acadia Denali. Within the first week of leasing, I noticed there was a distortion in the windshield, directly in front of the passenger side. It is most noticed when you are the driver, and it plays a trick on your eye, almost making it seem like something is wrong with your eyes. I took the car to the dealer, service guys comes out, I know he sees it, but plays this dumb game, no I don't see it, maybe its a reflection. I'm like how can you not see it. Then he has the nerves after noticing it, " I would leave, the glass is sealed from factory, I mean if it doesn't bother you". Hello, that's why I'm here. I'm paying money. End result, the windshield was replaced, and five billion times better.

djwdjw

Reaction score
I also noticed the temp seems to change with the drivers seat warmer setting . Nowhere is this documented. Maybe I'll take a thermal gun to it tomorrow and test.

I took my thermal gun and tested today. I could be wrong, but it seems that the steering wheel cycles on/off to control it's temperature and doesn't operate in a linear fashion like a "rheostat". Maybe that is how the seats work too. Again, only using a cheap non-contact IR thermal gun to watch it.

Mine seems to top out at 120F with the seats on hi. 114F on med. Around 105F with the seats on low.

Sorry, a sample size of 1 but that is what I noted playing around with the wheel for about 1/2 hour today.

There's a FLIR ONE somewhere in the office and I will try to see what that shows this weekend.

Last edited:

RockJock

Reaction score
The heated wheel on the first 19 Limited I test drove was HOT. Way too hot. The top 1/3 was too hot to even grab. The 2nd Limited was perfect. Possibly some kind of defect with the first one.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven’t conducted any tests yet. For some reason after reading. I can recall a steering wheel temp difference when I’ve lowered the seat temp. That would just be me driving, thinking man, steering wheel isn’t as hot as it was anymore.
On other side of it could be my brain/body warmed up and or used to the temp at those points.
A test will be conducted. Lol

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is definitely hotter on the bottom than the sides. Never too hot on the top. I guess its where the heating elements are located. ut I turn it off once my hands are warmed up.

I’m intrigued by the seat setting changing the wheel temp. Also, I have a Bighorn, wonder if the various trims have different leather or other materials wrapping the wheels? Could explain the varying experiences of the heat intensity? Just thinking out loud here

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^ totally agree. Trim may have something to do with it. At the same, I’m not saying yes or no either way. I have no prof that it accures at all or at any trim level. Hell I could be just getting old. Lol

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^ totally agree. Trim may have something to do with it. At the same, I’m not saying yes or no either way. I have no prof that it accures at all or at any trim level. Hell I could be just getting old. Lol

Lol

jkratze1

Reaction score
Mine does not get very hot, just a little warm. I am wondering if there is something wrong with mine.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried the seat setting to change the wheel and it does not work on my Limited. Also, with the 12", it shows the seat heater with 1-3 red vertical bars to indicate what setting your seat is on. Interestingly, the wheel always shows 3 red bars indicating it is on high. Changing the seat setting did not affect either the icon or the heat output on my Limited with the 12".

Maybe the other trims are behaving differently?

Users who are viewing this thread