5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

heated steering wheel..

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish Dodge/Ram had multi-level heating for the steering wheel like they do for the seats. Even my old Toyota Highlander had a dual setting.
It's available, you just have to turn it on yourself with alfaObd

CatServant

Reaction score
It's available, you just have to turn it on yourself with alfaObd

Will that work with most BT OBD2 adapters or do you have to get theirs? I have an adapter I use with the OBD Fusion app. I have an iPhone, so I guess I’d have to use the cheap Windows 10 notebook I have mainly for device firmware updates.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Will that work with most BT OBD2 adapters or do you have to get theirs? I have an adapter I use with the OBD Fusion app. I have an iPhone, so I guess I’d have to use the cheap Windows 10 notebook I have mainly for device firmware updates.
You can try the adapter you already have. I had one I used with torque pro, but it wasn't compatible with alfaObd so had to buy a different one. I went with the BAFX adapter off Amazon. It's showing on sale for $18 right now

Wireless Bluetooth Diagnostic OBD2 Scanner Car Code Reader and Scan Tool for All 1996 & Newer Vehicles ELM327 Compatible OBDII for Android Devices ONLY https://a.co/d/3xOYNlK

Crazy Dane

Reaction score
I guess no one reads anything here....
First, they are saying they would like to be able to adjust the level with the button like you can with the seats. The seats have high, medium, low and off, 4 presses if you will. the steering wheel only has on and off. Second not everyone here has Alpaobd or is willing to get it.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes changed mine with AlfaODB.
I have a 2022 Limited
On the high setting it's too high to keep my hands on.
These are the settings to trigger the 3 modes

This is the original setting for my 2022 limited
Heated Seat Material Type: Default
Heated Wheel Material Type: Wood/Leather

This adds an additional level
Memory: Heated Wheel Level
2 level (High/Low/Off)
***3 Level (High/Med/Low/Off)

You can also try changing this. It might affect how hot it goes under the settings.

Memory: Heated Wheel Material Type
***Wood/Leather
Full Leather
I'm going to have to check this out, my wheel gets hot as hell.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First, they are saying they would like to be able to adjust the level with the button like you can with the seats. The seats have high, medium, low and off, 4 presses if you will. the steering wheel only has on and off. Second not everyone here has Alpaobd or is willing to get it.
My steering wheel has high, medium, low, off.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It felt hotter the first time I used it, which was a rather chilly rainy day in San Diego. Since then it feels warmish, not as warm as I would like.

I'm going to try the AlfaOBD and see what setting it's currently on, if it's low, I'll probably go to medium. If high, then I'll have to visit the dealer.

bucolic

Reaction score
Not to mention not everyone should be using Alpaobd on their truck. You can cause some real damage with that if you don't know what you are doing. Some people just are not comfortable or have the desire to do the programming themselves.

I used it to add a factory trailer brake controller to my previous Ram and without the step-by-step instructions on this forum, I never would have started clicking around in there. A "You can do it with Alpaobod" without step-by-step instructions written out clearly and explicitly with screenshots is of no help to a novice or someone nervous about using a program that can brick their vehicle no matter how simple it may actually be to do.

I love tech and electronics but didn't really like playing around with that app. I might have ended up with the driver's side power window switch placing the truck in reverse :D

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where is said adjustment located? Pictures...?

i think he means, if you program your truck with the programmer AlfaOBD, then you could have a adjustment (program one) but stock there is not a adjustment, its on or off (maybe the system adjust the heating temp by outside temps, that i dont know, sometimes its feels warmer then orther times)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not to mention not everyone should be using Alpaobd on their truck. You can cause some real damage with that if you don't know what you are doing. Some people just are not comfortable or have the desire to do the programming themselves.

I used it to add a factory trailer brake controller to my previous Ram and without the step-by-step instructions on this forum, I never would have started clicking around in there. A "You can do it with Alpaobod" without step-by-step instructions written out clearly and explicitly with screenshots is of no help to a novice or someone nervous about using a program that can brick their vehicle no matter how simple it may actually be to do.

I love tech and electronics but didn't really like playing around with that app. I might have ended up with the driver's side power window switch placing the truck in reverse :D
I actually was quite intrigued with alfaObd once I actually started using it. Scrolling through all the different options. Sure, there is the potential to really screw some stuff up, and there have been pots from people who have. But anyone with a little common sense would have no issues poking around and trying different things.

But yet it is very nice to have the step by step instructions many have posted here for the common changes.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have 3 options for my steeling wheel.
If you are not willing to get Alphaodb, then you get on or off.

It's just how life is. Not everything can be perfect or spoon fed to you.
There are more then enough people here that would gladly respond if you made a post asking for how to do something.

This is true, but I could say someone doing their own oil change could cause some real damage to their truck, crushing seals, stripping threads out.
Using an android app to select an option listed as Seats A: Heated Wheel Level with the options of Default, 2 level (High/Low/Off), 3 Level (High/Med/Low/Off). I mean come on there's not really a curve ball.
If people are not comfortable learning\making changes then they can live with the truck as is imo.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
well, then it's not really "available" to all of us that don't have Alphabod...they should have settings the same way they have for the seats....
It is "available" to turn on. If you aren't comfortable using alfaObd to turn it on yourself, then the shouldn't be any reason to complain about not having it

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The guys saying it can be turned on using alfaobd are correct. That doesn't invalidate the comments of those who don't wish to put their warranties in jeopardy, but would like to have actual settings for the heat level. Why is anyone even arguing over this?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The guys saying it can be turned on using alfaobd are correct. That doesn't invalidate the comments of those who don't wish to put their warranties in jeopardy, but would like to have actual settings for the heat level. Why is anyone even arguing over this?
Changing that setting would not put warranty in jeopardy

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Changing that setting would not put warranty in jeopardy
I would argue that it could if someone didn't understanding what they were doing. Regardless, I think everyone is acknowledging that you can change this setting with alphaobd. All I'm saying is why criticize someone for wanting a factory setting to do that?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would argue that it could if someone didn't understanding what they were doing. Regardless, I think everyone is acknowledging that you can change this setting with alphaobd. All I'm saying is why criticize someone for wanting a factory setting to do that?
Not criticizing them. I'm saying it's something that can be done

As far as warranty. Changing that one setting will not cause any issues. If they mess up the truck doing other things, that's on them

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online