5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

heated steering wheel..

ramhouston

Reaction score
my 2021’s heated steering wheel felt a lot more warmer than my 2022.. anyone feel the same way?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of variance in steering wheel heat temperature. The Laramie I used to own got so warm I had to turn it off after just a few minutes. The Limited we have now is about perfect to leave on for the entire 25 minute commute.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine seems the same as my last 4th Gen Laramie. Same as the heated seats. I see plenty complaining about both but plenty warm for me. I can only stand both for the first 5-10 minutes and then have to turn off.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
my 2021’s heated steering wheel felt a lot more warmer than my 2022.. anyone feel the same way?

Check the AlfaOBD threads. A few guys changed the heated steering wheel settings to get more or less heat. I believe you have to change the steering wheel material in the BCM.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my laramie heated steering is hot but i do think my older 2014 sport was warmer... however i find its not always the same heat on my laramie.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Check the AlfaOBD threads. A few guys changed the heated steering wheel settings to get more or less heat. I believe you have to change the steering wheel material in the BCM.
Yes changed mine with AlfaODB.
I have a 2022 Limited
On the high setting it's too high to keep my hands on.
These are the settings to trigger the 3 modes

This is the original setting for my 2022 limited
Heated Seat Material Type: Default
Heated Wheel Material Type: Wood/Leather

This adds an additional level
Memory: Heated Wheel Level
2 level (High/Low/Off)
***3 Level (High/Med/Low/Off)

You can also try changing this. It might affect how hot it goes under the settings.

Memory: Heated Wheel Material Type
***Wood/Leather
Full Leather

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Limited

2 level (High/Low/Off)

You can also try changing this. It might affect how hot it goes under the settings.

***Wood/Leather
Full Leather
My 2020 Built to Serve was set to wood/leather from the factory. Switched it to full leather and it didn't get so hot you could barely hold on anymore. Also did the three level, and usually just use low.

ramhouston

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Limited

2 level (High/Low/Off)

***Wood/Leather
Full Leather
i am absolutely mind lost.. i don't have alpha OBD nor do i know how to read the changes you had stated.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
i am absolutely mind lost.. i don't have alpha OBD nor do i know how to read the changes you had stated.
AlphaODB is an android app.

On these trucks you are able to connect to the ODB2 port and configure a bunch of electronics and make tweaks.
If your steering wheel is not getting hot you can either take it to the dealer, or troubleshoot yourself.

BNeal

Reaction score
I could fry eggs on my '21 steering wheel. Can't believe there is no adjustment for that thing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I could fry eggs on my '21 steering wheel. Can't believe there is no adjustment for that thing.
Have you read the replies at all? There is an adjustment

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it temperature dependent at all? Some guys with Jeep pickups were saying that there is a 40°F threshold. Below that more current is applied, wheel gets warmer. Above that the wheel doesn't get as warm for safety. I can't confirm if that's true or not.

bucolic

Reaction score
Is it temperature dependent at all? Some guys with Jeep pickups were saying that there is a 40°F threshold. Below that more current is applied, wheel gets warmer. Above that the wheel doesn't get as warm for safety. I can't confirm if that's true or not.
It seems to me this is the case with mine. I notice on cold days the wheel is warmer than on warmer days. Might be my imagination but that's how it always seems to me.

Dewey

Reaction score
It seems to me this is the case with mine. I notice on cold days the wheel is warmer than on warmer days. Might be my imagination but that's how it always seems to me.
Yup. Seats too. Sure seems that way to me.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that would make sens, because i do feel it warmer on colder days

but it couls also be because it's colder that it feels that way ...

bucolic

Reaction score
that would make sens, because i do feel it warmer on colder days

but it couls also be because it's colder that it feels that way ...
Yeah, I thought that also but on some days I had to shut it off because it got overly warm. On other days drove 4+ hours with it on and it felt perfect. Could be the gremlins in the Uconnect also. My system has been wonky since the day I got it and haven't gotten around to taking it to the dealer.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought that also but on some days I had to shut it off because it got overly warm. On other days drove 4+ hours with it on and it felt perfect. Could be the gremlins in the Uconnect also. My system has been wonky since the day I got it and haven't gotten around to taking it to the dealer.
just like yours, mine gets very warm on colder days,. and today i could let it on for 40 min no problem,. but today it was warmer outside here

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean it's sad but automakers have to think about everything when they design these vehicles. Some knucklehead would surely turn on the heated wheel when it's 90° outside and 110° inside the truck and a heating element running full power in those conditions could lead to really bad consequences. So I can understand them programming the BCM to not allow full heat in the seats or wheel if the ambient temperature is too high.

CatServant

Reaction score
I wish Dodge/Ram had multi-level heating for the steering wheel like they do for the seats. Even my old Toyota Highlander had a dual setting.

Users who are viewing this thread