5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

headrest too far forward

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Those little padded pillows at the top of the seats, anyone know how to move it backwards? I get that they have a racheting mechanism, you pull it all the way forward, let go, and then it jumps to the farthest position. But I find that is still way too close for me and it's always rubbing up against my head. Just wondering if there is another lever or adjustment somewhere that I can make? It's definitely a lot farther forward than my Jeep was.

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
I also agree with this. I can't seem to put my head back where I want it to be

silver billet

Reaction score
I will try that, thanks for the suggestion. Guess another possibility is to remove some foam from the very top since they're angled up and towards my head.

Autoplay

Reaction score
As crazy as it sounds,is it possible to remove it and flip it 180? That being said...it could be a safety factor,if involved in a crash etc.

silver billet

Reaction score
As crazy as it sounds,is it possible to remove it and flip it 180? That being said...it could be a safety factor,if involved in a crash etc.
I don't think so, there are little grooves in the steel pins that hold it in place which prevent the thing from sliding down. If you reverse it then the grooves would no longer catch. I wonder if it's possible to slide in a head rest from a different car though. It looks very similar to the ones in my Jeep.

barr0208

Reaction score
ok you get out of your vehicle push the headrest all the way forward and it will go back far enough.it has a ratchet system and is adjustable.

silver billet

Reaction score
ok you get out of your vehicle push the headrest all the way forward and it will go back far enough.it has a ratchet system and is adjustable.
I get that, but it doesn't rachet back enough even after it jumps to the farthest position.

Capt. Derek

Reaction score
That would be a nope, adjusted as far back as they can go, still are 3-4 inches too far forward, but that along with the horrible seats make my new chiropractor love the bad design, shame I had to buy a 2020 and have to find a chiropractor for the 1st time ever!

nburd

Reaction score
You can reverse them. Point them backwards, it has been noted on some YouTube videos. Give it a try.

Roaddog359

Reaction score
They are designed to be close to you head to minimize backwards movement of your head in the event of a crash. This helps to minimize neck injuries aka "whiplash". like someone said if you recline the seat a bit you will change the angle and put more distance between your head and the headrest. Please try and keep the minimum distance that is comfortable for your own safety. Do not reverse them, they are designed like this for a reason and thats why they can be ratcheted forward so it can be adjusted close to the back of head if you have the seat angle changed.

RJS

Reaction score
Recline your seat back a few degrees, then bump up the lumbar pressure and move it to the top most position to fill in for the reclined seat back adjustment
^^^^ Bingo, that's what worked for me.

Lugnut

Reaction score
I read this thread and checked my seats. If I grab the headrest and tilt it all the way forward it then goes back straight.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sounds like you guys have your seat too upright. They need to have some reclining to them. My head rests are perfect. I did find that in my old F150, the position was too far forward, so I removed the head rests, and used a hammer to reduce the bend in the posts. A few good hits straightened each posts out some and the headrest was then perfect.

Robownsa5thgen

Reaction score
I bet you all know this but the head rest adjusts forward and back if you pull it all the way forward and release. If you release it to the upright position you can flip it in the seat pull the opposite direction and and repeat... the headrest almost adjusts 45 degrees between flipping.

Users who are viewing this thread