5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlight upgrade decision: OEM LED or Morimoto XBs???

BlackLoneStarHemi

Reaction score
I have wanted to upgrade my black Lone Star Ram's halogens since I bought it. I have read all the threads and am ready to pull the trigger. My dilemma is - should I go with OEM LEDs or the new Morimoto XBs?
Also--if I go with OEM- should I go with the chrome finish or black??? Decision is tough- help me out guys. Any advice is appreciated!

EDIT- OR if you have another alternative I should consider- let me know!

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 182
  • hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My vote is the Morimotos which if I’m correct don’t require an extra harness ?

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Sort of depends, I think they both look quite good. Warranty would be a consideration for the stocks. Looks are subjective but Morimoto would give you plug in play, sequential turns w/o warranty. Other consideration would be availability- Morimoto’s site says out of stock til June - other vendors might/likely have them, don’t know about the stock headlights. I’d probably lean Morimoto because I think they look better and better features and would be cheaper than stock+harness. So easy to revert back to stock that’s one of the few areas I’d be less worried about warranty.

BlackLoneStarHemi

Reaction score
I have wanted to upgrade my black Lone Star Ram's halogens since I bought it. I have read all the threads and am ready to pull the trigger. My dilemma is - should I go with OEM LEDs or the new Morimoto XBs?
Also--if I go with OEM- should I go with the chrome finish or black??? Decision is tough- help me out guys. Any advice is appreciated!

EDIT- OR if you have another alternative I should consider- let me know!
Anyone have experience with Morimoto headlights?

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
They look good too! Are those LEDs?

Their Pro series light is has halogen projectors - the Y-shapes DRL is an LED and they have a sequential turn signal that is also LED, believe the side marker is LED too. So to make full LED you’d have to buy 2 pairs of H7 bulbs (I think their both H7s) - probably 150-200$ for a couple good sets, can be found for less.

if you are interested you could message Alpha Rex on Instagram or Facebook - currently advertising a group buy - they need 20 150$ deposits and they will offer a coupon code for a really good discount (apparently they don’t want the number displayed publicly). Debating whether I want to spend the money, I THINK I like the Morimoto more - but the Alphas do have a more finished/OEM appearance IMO, other concern is the quality - Morimoto definitely with better reputation. That being said every time Patriot posts that truck.....I think it’d be crazy to spend twice the money on Morimotos - looks good.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They look good too! Are those LEDs?
The DRL's, sequential turn signals, and amber side markers are all LED on the PRO Series. The low and High beams come with halogen bulbs but you can put some LED's in them since they are projector Headlights.

I have the PRO Series but AlphaRex just came out with a NOVA Series that are full LED.

AlphaRex_NOVA-Series.jpg

dano257

Reaction score
The DRL's, sequential turn signals, and amber side markers are all LED on the PRO Series. The low and High beams come with halogen bulbs but you can put some LED's in them since they are projector Headlights.

I have the PRO Series but AlphaRex just came out with a NOVA Series that are full LED.

View attachment 52910
They look sharp! Nice work.

Gs72174

Reaction score
I went the AlphaRex Pro route (Black & Chrome). It was much cheaper than OEM plus it includes the harness.

View attachment 52850

Because of you I’m going to the Alpharex pro’s. I was going to go with OEM or Morimoto but my wallet/wife wasn’t going for spending over $1000. I about gave up on getting LED’s until I saw your pics. Thanks for your posts

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because of you I’m going to the Alpharex pro’s. I was going to go with OEM or Morimoto but my wallet/wife wasn’t going for spending over $1000. I about gave up on getting LED’s until I saw your pics. Thanks for your posts
Glad that I could assist...

I was in the same predicament.

I wanted to upgrade my headlights but did not have the budget for OEM or Morimoto. I thought the Alpha Rex was a great compromise and got the look that I was going for. :cool:

Str8Ripon

Reaction score

DEFINITELY find /message them on social media and ask about the group buy if you are planning to buy in the short term. The savings will be enough to have the lights and couple sets of LED bulbs for your high/low beams for half (or less) what you’d pay for OEM or Morimoto.

Gs72174

Reaction score
DEFINITELY find /message them on social media and ask about the group buy if you are planning to buy in the short term. The savings will be enough to have the lights and couple sets of LED bulbs for your high/low beams for half (or less) what you’d pay for OEM or Morimoto.

Yessir. That group buy is the main reason my wife let me do the alpharex and I’m changing out the halogen for LED. Now we just have to get 20 people to do the group buy.

BlackLoneStarHemi

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Morimoto? Anyone install these yet? I would like to see pictures- there haven't been many at all yet.

Arth

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Morimoto? Anyone install these yet? I would like to see pictures- there haven't been many at all yet.

I have experience with Morimotos on the 4th Gen's. Lots of little issues. Seems very very long thread out their documented issues in another forum. Some have had good experience though. Personally I would just treat cautiously. My experience with them on my 4th Gen was not flawless but they did look good.

BlackLoneStarHemi

Reaction score
Does anybody have pics of the new Morimotos installed? They are so new- maybe only vendors have put them on

ak_andy

Reaction score
I bit the bullet back in February and bought the OEM LED. I have not had buyers remorse since install. I do suggest you go ahead and buy the Morimoto fogs if you haven't already.

Bruins5515

Reaction score
I have experience with Morimotos on the 4th Gen's. Lots of little issues. Seems very very long thread out their documented issues in another forum. Some have had good experience though. Personally I would just treat cautiously. My experience with them on my 4th Gen was not flawless but they did look good.
I installed the Morimotos on my 19 Big Horn and had issues with turn signals that would not work had to take lights out and send back for refund, exploring the OEM route now.

Users who are viewing this thread