5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlight removal

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are only tabs holding the fascia in. I'll post a pic of the one that is the issue. Once this once is released, the others come out easily. This first one takes some twisting and pulling to where you think it's gonna break.

I actually broke the driver side (bracket on the fender side) but no big deal since the piece I broke was where the bolt was. I just used a body panel clip to keep it in place. The fender and flare help to hold the fascia in as well.

Last edited:

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The yellow circled tab is on pretty tight. Need to twist and wiggle a little and pull away from the fender. Takes a some gorilla muscling though. Just try not to make the bracket mounted to the fender twist too much since that is held on to the fender by the rivets and clips that you see.

This pic is the fascia on the driver's side.

96F70A8D-6865-4274-A148-60C9D0AEFE04.jpeg

Last edited:

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The yellow arrow points to the nub on the fender bracket that locks the fascia tab in place.

You can see along the bracket that there are no rivets or screws. Just plastic nubs that lock into the tabs on the fascia.

The rivets and clips that you saw are what mounts the bracket to the fender.

CD8D6BB2-CEFF-4FC9-AEE4-F5DE7906B5BC.jpeg

Last edited:

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is that ***** that won’t come out without a fight lol.

BB4D4565-AEA0-43D4-80F6-F88579FCAAD5.jpeg

roland958

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Finally got it out. Now I need to rest. :ROFLMAO: talking about getting my a$$ kick..

kenyotti

Reaction score
Has anyone done this with a 2500 or a 3500? I can't find any info anywhere and need to get the grille off to finish my plow wiring/routing. It kicked my *** last weekend too!

Swordfish

Reaction score
Thanks for this instruction kit. I struggled for about an hour trying to figure out how to get this headlight out and then found this thread. Followed instructions to a tee and no issues other than getting the wheel dust covers back in place. That was almost as hard as getting the fascia out.

Motornon

Reaction score
Is there any option to just replace the Lens of the Headlight rather than the whole assembly? My lens is shattered, but all i'm seeing is an option to purchase the whole assembly at nearly $1000.00. ouch!

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is insane. My last truck (2020 Jeep Gladiator) had 6 plastic push rivets along the top, then the grille pulled right out revealing both headlight assemblies at once. 2 minute job to have both housings out, bulbs replaced, reinstalled.

Why do they make the full size trucks like a jigsaw puzzle? This is ridiculous.

I've replaced the fogs and high beams easily, but the low beams are the hard ones. Looking at it, I think I'm going to attempt to remove the airbox on the passenger side and ground cables on the driver side and do the low beams without removing the housings. Might have to borrow my 12 year old's little hands but I'm going to try that before taking the front of the truck apart. Sigh....

shbates1969

Reaction score
So.....removed the headlights today, what a blast that was! :eek: This is not meant to be a thorough walkthrough, but a simple guide.

Pics are from a '19 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport with the mid level LED lights. I would assume the process is the similar for all models (non flare equipped trucks - one less step, Longhorn and Limited - extra part on the grill extension).

First step is to remove the radiator cover - nothing crazy here, just a bunch of push pins holding it in (like....12?)

View attachment 1071

Then, remove the header panel (trim above the headlights). This has 12 bolts, and 2 push pin fasteners:

View attachment 1072

Set aside......

View attachment 1064

Next up, there are six screws and 2 push pins holding the inner fender liner. 4 of these screws go though the flare (if equipped) and into the fender. 2 other screws are right above the suspension, then 2 push pins (large heads). No pic......sorry, forgot that one. Once removed, pull the liner back a bit, go get your hand behind it. Using a 7mm or 8mm socket (or pliers) - you need to push the clips holding the flares onto to the front fascia and flare. We removed 4. Here we are mid process:

View attachment 1065

After the flares are pulled back, there is a 10mm bolt at the bottom of the fascia - where it meets the fender. I couldn't get a picture of it, but that bolt needs removed too.

The fun part.......the hardest part of this job was removing the front fascia. TechAuthority directions state "release the fascia trim from the fender and remove"......ummm......ok then. The initial thought was that the fascia pulled down from the fender. WRONG. The fascia slides into 2 clips in the fender, so you need to pull the fascia towards you, away from the fender / truck.

View attachment 1073

After that, there are clips in the headlight panel, and 2 in the grill that hold this part in. We could NOT get the lower clips to disengage from the grill. Said forget it, unbolted the 3 bolts behind it (at the lower grill). After that, there are 4 bolts on the top of the grill (if you are like us, we removed 2 of them earlier on, as they where accessible in a prior step). Once the bolts are out, lift the grill up slightly (over the clip on the headlight) and the grill will come off. Don't forget to disconnect the wiring for the front camera (if equipped).

View attachment 1067

Finally......you can get to the headlights!

View attachment 1068

At this point you have one push clip in the upper tab on the headlights, one bolt close to that as well, and one bolt on the side of the light (close to the flares / fender). Then......boom, finally.....the headlights are out! One plug on these (the LED ones) and it pulls out - all done.

View attachment 1069

And.....for those wondering why the hell you'd want to go through all of this mess.......well, of course, to customize them! Check out my other thread for more info on that - https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/mid-level-leds-time-to-modify-them.635/

I want to say thank you for taking your time and writing down all the steps to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eproulx38

Reaction score
So.....removed the headlights today, what a blast that was! :eek: This is not meant to be a thorough walkthrough, but a simple guide.

Pics are from a '19 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport with the mid level LED lights. I would assume the process is the similar for all models (non flare equipped trucks - one less step, Longhorn and Limited - extra part on the grill extension).

First step is to remove the radiator cover - nothing crazy here, just a bunch of push pins holding it in (like....12?)

View attachment 1071

Then, remove the header panel (trim above the headlights). This has 12 bolts, and 2 push pin fasteners:

View attachment 1072

Set aside......

View attachment 1064

Next up, there are six screws and 2 push pins holding the inner fender liner. 4 of these screws go though the flare (if equipped) and into the fender. 2 other screws are right above the suspension, then 2 push pins (large heads). No pic......sorry, forgot that one. Once removed, pull the liner back a bit, go get your hand behind it. Using a 7mm or 8mm socket (or pliers) - you need to push the clips holding the flares onto to the front fascia and flare. We removed 4. Here we are mid process:

View attachment 1065

After the flares are pulled back, there is a 10mm bolt at the bottom of the fascia - where it meets the fender. I couldn't get a picture of it, but that bolt needs removed too.

The fun part.......the hardest part of this job was removing the front fascia. TechAuthority directions state "release the fascia trim from the fender and remove"......ummm......ok then. The initial thought was that the fascia pulled down from the fender. WRONG. The fascia slides into 2 clips in the fender, so you need to pull the fascia towards you, away from the fender / truck.

View attachment 1073

After that, there are clips in the headlight panel, and 2 in the grill that hold this part in. We could NOT get the lower clips to disengage from the grill. Said forget it, unbolted the 3 bolts behind it (at the lower grill). After that, there are 4 bolts on the top of the grill (if you are like us, we removed 2 of them earlier on, as they where accessible in a prior step). Once the bolts are out, lift the grill up slightly (over the clip on the headlight) and the grill will come off. Don't forget to disconnect the wiring for the front camera (if equipped).

View attachment 1067

View attachment 1068

At this point you have one push clip in the upper tab on the headlights, one bolt close to that as well, and one bolt on the side of the light (close to the flares / fender). Then......boom, finally.....the headlights are out! One plug on these (the LED ones) and it pulls out - all done.

View attachment 1069

And.....for those wondering why the hell you'd want to go through all of this mess.......well, of course, to customize them! Check out my other thread for more info on that - https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/mid-level-leds-time-to-modify-them.635/
I am so glad this was posted and I saw it before starting my LED headlight install. I struggled with the facia removal also and heard a crack when I was trying to release the last clip near the grill. REMEMBERING YOUR POST.... I then just took out the bolts behind it and removed the grill and facia as on piece. Once it was all off, I was able to remove the facia from the grill no problem. The trouble retainer clip had barely started to crack, so I am glad I stopped when I did!! Luckily the crack was small and didn't affect the function of the clip but I reinforced it with melted ziptie anyways.

Shmarcus

Reaction score

View attachment 1071

View attachment 1072

Set aside......

View attachment 1064

View attachment 1065

View attachment 1073

View attachment 1067

View attachment 1068

View attachment 1069

Thanks for the write up. I'm currently trying to get that fascia off a '21 Ram TRX. I'm rino lining the fender flares, bumpers and part of the fascia. I gave up on the fascia as i got stuck after getting the top bolts out. Once i pull the front bumper tomorrow, i'll circle back on the fascia, wish they would have made it more complicated smh.......

Midnight19

Reaction score

View attachment 1071

View attachment 1072

Set aside......

View attachment 1064

View attachment 1065

View attachment 1073

View attachment 1067

View attachment 1068

View attachment 1069

And.....for those wondering why the hell you'd want to go through all of this mess.......well, of course, to customize them! Check out my other thread for more info on that - Mid level LEDs - time to modify them!

View attachment 1071

View attachment 1072

Set aside......

View attachment 1064

View attachment 1065

View attachment 1073

View attachment 1067

View attachment 1068

View attachment 1069

And.....for those wondering why the hell you'd want to go through all of this mess.......well, of course, to customize them! Check out my other thread for more info on that - Mid level LEDs - time to modify them!
I love that you made this post. I came across this post because I Googled how to change the bulbs or something.

I have a 19 classic with just the halogen bulbs, I'm really hoping I don't have to do all of this just for me to change the bulbs.

If someone could give me a link that would be great, I'm also going to try to search for something

Users who are viewing this thread