5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlight removal

Reaction score
So.....removed the headlights today, what a blast that was! :eek: This is not meant to be a thorough walkthrough, but a simple guide.

Pics are from a '19 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport with the mid level LED lights. I would assume the process is the similar for all models (non flare equipped trucks - one less step, Longhorn and Limited - extra part on the grill extension).

First step is to remove the radiator cover - nothing crazy here, just a bunch of push pins holding it in (like....12?)

20180628_113407 (Large).jpg

Then, remove the header panel (trim above the headlights). This has 12 bolts, and 2 push pin fasteners:

20180628_114127 (Large).jpg

Set aside......

20180628_114131 (Large).jpg

Next up, there are six screws and 2 push pins holding the inner fender liner. 4 of these screws go though the flare (if equipped) and into the fender. 2 other screws are right above the suspension, then 2 push pins (large heads). No pic......sorry, forgot that one. Once removed, pull the liner back a bit, go get your hand behind it. Using a 7mm or 8mm socket (or pliers) - you need to push the clips holding the flares onto to the front fascia and flare. We removed 4. Here we are mid process:

20180628_114729 (Large).jpg

After the flares are pulled back, there is a 10mm bolt at the bottom of the fascia - where it meets the fender. I couldn't get a picture of it, but that bolt needs removed too.

The fun part.......the hardest part of this job was removing the front fascia. TechAuthority directions state "release the fascia trim from the fender and remove"......ummm......ok then. The initial thought was that the fascia pulled down from the fender. WRONG. The fascia slides into 2 clips in the fender, so you need to pull the fascia towards you, away from the fender / truck.

20180628_123440 (Large).jpg

After that, there are clips in the headlight panel, and 2 in the grill that hold this part in. We could NOT get the lower clips to disengage from the grill. Said forget it, unbolted the 3 bolts behind it (at the lower grill). After that, there are 4 bolts on the top of the grill (if you are like us, we removed 2 of them earlier on, as they where accessible in a prior step). Once the bolts are out, lift the grill up slightly (over the clip on the headlight) and the grill will come off. Don't forget to disconnect the wiring for the front camera (if equipped).

20180628_125147 (Large).jpg

Finally......you can get to the headlights!

20180628_125219 (Large).jpg

At this point you have one push clip in the upper tab on the headlights, one bolt close to that as well, and one bolt on the side of the light (close to the flares / fender). Then......boom, finally.....the headlights are out! One plug on these (the LED ones) and it pulls out - all done.

20180628_131912 (Large).jpg

And.....for those wondering why the hell you'd want to go through all of this mess.......well, of course, to customize them! Check out my other thread for more info on that - https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/mid-level-leds-time-to-modify-them.635/

Attachments

• 20180628_123440 (Large).jpg
    20180628_123440 (Large).jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 349
  • 20180628_141420 (Large).jpg
    20180628_141420 (Large).jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 341

ryelinek

Reaction score
Deal lord man. I’ll be the first to admit to am 100% lacking in the skill, knowledge, and brass balls to do that. LET ALONE doing that to a brand new truck. Tip of the hat to you sir.

Reaction score
Deal lord man. I’ll be the first to admit to am 100% lacking in the skill, knowledge, and brass balls to do that. LET ALONE doing that to a brand new truck. Tip of the hat to you sir.

Bah.......not that I work on vehicles daily, but I work on their headlights! I mean.......its why I bought the truck, Rams are my primary market - so......might as well get the new one, have (probably) the first set of customized lights done on them - and.....get those pics of them out there!

The only "real" fun was that fascia....but once we figured that out - it simply came down to remembering where the bolts went ;)

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like RAM made it worse than Ford did. I don't recall having to remove the grill to get the headlights out on m F150...

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
you sir, are what we call 100% forum gold! Thank you! this kind of content is so helpful!

Reaction score
Looks like RAM made it worse than Ford did. I don't recall having to remove the grill to get the headlights out on m F150...

What year? Since 15 the F150s have had to have the lower panel removed, and I thought grill......hard to remember all of them!

you sir, are what we call 100% forum gold! Thank you! this kind of content is so helpful!

:geek: TY! Just trying to assist - I knew reading through the tech instructions on it - well.....it could be a bit more descriptive. All good. Helped to know exactly how many bolts they said we had to remove.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What year? Since 15 the F150s have had to have the lower panel removed, and I thought grill......hard to remember all of them!

2016... but it's been a few years since I did that so I may be wrong.

Reaction score
2016... but it's been a few years since I did that so I may be wrong.

I haven't touched one of those personally - done about 30-40 sets of those lights though. Who knows, maybe it was the flares people where complaining about......lol

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On my ancient ('03) GMC, you just turn two levers on top of the headlight to pop it out and replace the bulbs. It's a flawless design for tool-less maintenance. But my assumption is that there's no need for that on a truck with LED headlights!

Reaction score
On my ancient ('03) GMC, you just turn two levers on top of the headlight to pop it out and replace the bulbs. It's a flawless design for tool-less maintenance. But my assumption is that there's no need for that on a truck with LED headlights!

Yeah, I worked on a NBS Chevy a while back......that was CAKE to remove the lights. Less than a minute and both where out.

These better not need service......there is nothing to get at, other than the ballast under the headlight.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Never had a bulb out, just upgraded to the next trim level headlamps. But these Ram headlamps blow the F150s away!

cl302

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anyone else notice their mid-level LEDs' beams shake over rough roads such as washboard? Is the LED "floating" inside the housing or something?

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anyone else notice their mid-level LEDs' beams shake over rough roads such as washboard? Is the LED "floating" inside the housing or something?
not really......but being inside the lights, we can see that they are held on with ball / socket connections (typical). Normally there can be some play there, but it really shouldn't be THAT noticeable on the road.

cl302

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'll have to check with other folks in my area as the trucks become more popular if they're seeing similar things.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Those lights are so cool love the way they turned out...... so when you are done with them are they still waterproof? Im in seattle and we get hella rain?

Reaction score
Those lights are so cool love the way they turned out...... so when you are done with them are they still waterproof? Im in seattle and we get hella rain?

Of course! Last thing anyone wants is foggy lights. I've been doing this for 8 years - thousands of sets, its quite fun!

These have been washed quite a few times now, and rained on even more.......(no room in the garage....argh) - all good!

roland958

Reaction score
He's not lying when he said the hardest part is removing the fascia. Try a lot of times pulling, tugging away but that thing is not moving. Any other info to remove it. I'm afraid if I pull it harder it might brake. I took a picture inside it's not a screw but that thing is really holding like a mug...
20181116_123624.jpg

cjfioren

Reaction score
8335-159546798fe81c5236bb2baebe7262c2.jpg
I tried it and did not want to keep tugging on the fascia. Screwing around with a new truck......my wife thought I was out of my mind. Lol.

Attachments

• topgun.jpg
    topgun.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 54

Users who are viewing this thread