5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlight/Foglamp/Dimmer Switch Replacement

Ramulus21

Reaction score
Hi y'all. Just bought a 2022 1500 Laramie Night Edition and noticed the dimmer wheel for the touchscreen is either full brightness or dark (far right wheel in the pic). The dimmer wheel spins but once you go below the full brightness "click" at the top, it goes to the lowest setting no matter how far you spin the wheel. It was dark out and the headlights were on so the screen was in night mode but at full brightness it's like staring at the sun. I know I can order a replacement but my question is: can a guy just pop in a new one without having to mess with connecting to a diagnostic?

Attachments

• Dimmer.jpg
    Dimmer.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 9

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi y'all. Just bought a 2022 1500 Laramie Night Edition and noticed the dimmer wheel for the touchscreen is either full brightness or dark (far right wheel in the pic). The dimmer wheel spins but once you go below the full brightness "click" at the top, it goes to the lowest setting no matter how far you spin the wheel. It was dark out and the headlights were on so the screen was in night mode but at full brightness it's like staring at the sun. I know I can order a replacement but my question is: can a guy just pop in a new one without having to mess with connecting to a diagnostic?
Yes, it's easy to replace. Just pop it out and put in the new one.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just use a plastic pry tool. I've removed mine for gateway bypass installation.
There won't be any reprogramming of anything being necessary if that is your concern. This will be a simple "plug and play".

Attachments

• 20230313_110937.jpg
    20230313_110937.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230313_110856_1.jpg
    20230313_110856_1.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How is the brightness of the EVIC?
Does it also drop to a point of being near useless in brightness or function fine?

That dimmer wheel "variable" resistor controls both (sends a signal to the BCM, via steering wheel module IIRC) if only one is acting up then it is not the switch.
If both are dropping to unsatisfactory level of brightness, right below the "click" then welcome to the club.

I have a spare switch assembly on the kitchen shelf that you could try out.
And yes, little tight but pops right out.

Last edited:

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly what I needed. Thanks for sending the pics.
Glad to help.
Also, I don't know if you've taken apart any other trim but there's basically nothing to break so don't be afraid to apply a lot of pressure, because it will take a lot of pressure!
Having two or three plastic tools to work both sides at once helps too.

Users who are viewing this thread