5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlamp LED accent strip flicker *2/21 UPDATE*

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does any OEM cover lights? Not that I know of.

There is something to be said for reflector housings with replaceable bulbs. (LED)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your insurance will have a deductible so you're still paying out of pocket for the first bit, not to mention they'll probably raise your rates due to "high risk of goose collision" or whatever excuse you fed to them.

Fraud never pays!
Comprehensive claims generally don't increase premiums, unless they are high dollar, or frequent

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
I feel your pain but no extended/drive train car warranty that I'm aware of extends to wear items like headlights (bumper to bumper should include it though). LED bulbs do wear out as well, I've replaced a bunch in my home already too. Nature of the beast.

This was one of the reasons I avoided purchasing LED's and got the old skool halogens, but they have issues too (poor output).
This isn’t just replacing a 50,100 or even a 200.00 led. This is the entire housing for 2k since the led strip is integrated into it. While i understand not covering lenses, they get scratched, and bulbs as they burn out and can be replaceD. This is the entire housing since the internal led is non serviceable. I think i was said earlier, the warrantee has not kept up with technology. This isn’t your standard light housing any more when they integrate electronics into them and charge you 2k to replace.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This isn’t just replacing a 50,100 or even a 200.00 led. This is the entire housing for 2k since the led strip is integrated into it. While i understand not covering lenses, they get scratched, and bulbs as they burn out and can be replaceD. This is the entire housing since the internal led is non serviceable. I think i was said earlier, the warrantee has not kept up with technology. This isn’t your standard light housing any more when they integrate electronics into them and charge you 2k to replace.

I get that the entire housing is one piece. So at that point the entire thing is a $1000 light bulb. It's not that the warranty hasn't kept up with the tech, it's that the tech has become extremely expensive. Again, I knew that before I ordered my truck with factory halogens explicity for that reason.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Your insurance will have a deductible so you're still paying out of pocket for the first bit, not to mention they'll probably raise your rates due to "high risk of goose collision" or whatever excuse you fed to them.

Fraud never pays!
Then I recommend that you don't do that. I'd take my chances on that small deductible

wangstarr03

Reaction score
*2/21 UPDATE* - so I've ordered 2x replacement units since my last visit to the dealer and both of them duplicate the same issue I'm experiencing. Granted, both were pre-owned units but guaranteed to work (one was even Mopar refurbished) but including my stock headlamp assembly, that's 3 out of 3 that replicate the issue. The first one I've returned. The second one I will hold onto until further diagnosis.

My deductive reasoning is now pointing me towards a potential electrical/power supply issue within the truck. At first I thought maybe it could be the battery, since it has been ~3 years, but that wouldn't explain why it only occurs on the driver's side. I've also checked the voltage and it is operating within normal parameters (12.4v while at rest, ~14.4v-14.5v during operation).

Back to the dealer I go - have another service appointment scheduled for tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
*2/21 UPDATE* - so I've ordered 2x replacement units since my last visit to the dealer and both of them duplicate the same issue I'm experiencing. Granted, both were pre-owned units but guaranteed to work (one was even Mopar refurbished) but including my stock headlamp assembly, that's 3 out of 3 that replicate the issue. The first one I've returned. The second one I will hold onto until further diagnosis.

My deductive reasoning is now pointing me towards a potential electrical/power supply issue within the truck. At first I thought maybe it could be the battery, since it has been ~3 years, but that wouldn't explain why it only occurs on the driver's side. I've also checked the voltage and it is operating within normal parameters (12.4v while at rest, ~14v during operation).

Back to the dealer I go - have another service appointment scheduled for tomorrow.
maybe a ground issue? seeing how all do it, i would def lean towards something external.

wangstarr03

Reaction score
maybe a ground issue? seeing how all do it, i would def lean towards something external.
I thought about this, too and am otherwise fairly handy but electrical work I hesitate to diagnose/work on my own.

FWIW, when I pulled the negative battery terminal the LEDs did work for a short amount of time but then went out, again.

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
I haven’t looked at the plugs, but are the right and left interchangable plug wise? Ie can you plug the bad one into the plug on the other side? Probably not necessary, but it would prove the one you think is bad really isn’t and its something electrical.

wangstarr03

Reaction score
I haven’t looked at the plugs, but are the right and left interchangable plug wise? Ie can you plug the bad one into the plug on the other side? Probably not necessary, but it would prove the one you think is bad really isn’t and it’s something electrical.
This thought also crossed my mind, but tbh, removing the headlamp assembly is a huge PITA - the front fender trim piece, factory fender “flares”, part of the wheel well liner and effectively the entire grille have to be removed and quite frankly, I really didn’t feel like doing that on both sides. I was able to successfully remove everything for the driver’s side but with my luck, something would’ve broke on the passenger side.

Users who are viewing this thread