5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlamp LED accent strip flicker *2/21 UPDATE*

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Hey all, so just left my local dealer after diagnosing the LED failure/flicker issue mentioned in my previous post.

They are calling this an “internal circuit failure” and the entire headlamp needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, the assembly itself is not covered under the Maxcare Extended Warranty according to the dealer (I’m out out factory warranty) and the part alone runs about $2k, which is egregious. Ridiculous that such an expensive part isn’t covered (but probably by design).

In any case, it looks like my options now are either to live with it, or source a used OEM/new aftermarket replacement and install myself.

I’ll likely go the latter route and try to find a used OEM part *sigh* - what would you guys do?

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have you tried looking on rockauto for it?

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
From the brocure. I get that the headlights are a plastic lense, but i cant believe that is what it referring to since its a non serviceable sealed unit. But you never know.

WHAT’S NOT COVERED UNDER OUR MAXIMUM CARESM PLANS
The only parts and labor not covered:
• Maintenance Services and items used in such services
• Catalytic Converter and Particulate Filter
• Glass, Plastic Lenses and Light Bulbs
• Body and Paint items (including Soft Trim)
• Snowplows, Winches and Trailer Hitches
• Wear items (such as Tires, Manual Clutch Assembly, Brake Pads, Shoes, Rotors, Drums, Belts and Wipers)

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
From the brocure. I get that the headlights are a plastic lense, but i cant believe that is what it referring to since its a non serviceable sealed unit. But you never know.

• Wear items (such as Tires, Manual Clutch Assembly, Brake Pads, Shoes, Rotors, Drums, Belts and Wipers)
Since he said the dealer is referring to it as an "internal circuit failure" then maybe that is the "gray" area to use to get them to cover it

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

They are probably considering the LEDs as "light bulbs?

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
They are probably considering the LEDs as "light bulbs?
Maybe, but that would be ridiculous Interpretation. But also not a surprising one. Op i would definitely push back and ask them under what exclusion are they denying the replacement.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s a little tricky. I’d ask them to give me the part number for the bulb ;)
Maybe, but that would be ridiculous Interpretation. But also not a surprising one. Op i would definitely push back and ask them under what exclusion are they denying the replacement.
On a LED headlight, the LEDs are technically the "bulbs"

Loudram

Reaction score
I would call. This isn't a "bulb" , it's a non serviceable circuit board. Push that point.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score

wangstarr03

Reaction score
So. I called Maxcare. They confirmed this falls under the “lights and bulbs” exclusion and is not covered under the extended warranty.

The verbiage I agree is outdated - these are sealed units with no actual “bulbs” to speak of. They did however confirm that this would be covered under the factory bumper to bumper warranty, just not the maxcare extended version. I even asked “so if the headlamps themselves, the low beams, went out, the onus would be on the owner to pay out of pocket to get them fixed/replaced” and the rep said yes.

FWIW, I had a similar issue on my Jeep a few years ago (also maxcare extended warranty) and it wasn’t covered so I was prepared to take the L.

At this point I’m not sure it’s worth my time to push and fight when I found a used OEM unit on eBay for ~$500. My deductible would’ve been $200, anyway and I have some rewards points I could use to limit my out of pocket expense.

Suffice it to say, I think this is more of a lesson that this may very well be my last FCA/Stellantis product.

Last edited:

wangstarr03

Reaction score
You always can find them on the bay, like this one. Brand new.

These aren’t compatible, unfortunately - I have a Limited.

silver billet

Reaction score
I feel your pain but no extended/drive train car warranty that I'm aware of extends to wear items like headlights (bumper to bumper should include it though). LED bulbs do wear out as well, I've replaced a bunch in my home already too. Nature of the beast.

This was one of the reasons I avoided purchasing LED's and got the old skool halogens, but they have issues too (poor output).

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I would crack the lens and call my insurance company and say something hit it. I know a claim on your insurance sucks too but I don't want to drop a grand or better to replace it myself lol

silver billet

Reaction score
I would crack the lens and call my insurance company and say something hit it. I know a claim on your insurance sucks too but I don't want to drop a grand or better to replace it myself lol

Your insurance will have a deductible so you're still paying out of pocket for the first bit, not to mention they'll probably raise your rates due to "high risk of goose collision" or whatever excuse you fed to them.

Fraud never pays!

Users who are viewing this thread