5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headers

Ironhead1970

Reaction score
Have a 2023 ram 1500 and tow a 27 foot Grand Design 2150RB it's 5,295 lbs trailer we do one big trip a year tow about 3,600 miles from Texas to New Jersey and back plus a few smaller trips throughout the year. I understand I'm towing a large wind sail just want to improve the engine's efficiency. Have a CAI installed already and when towing I'm making anywhere from 9 to 13 mpg depending on wind direction and steepness of the incline. I'm thinking of installing a pair of shorty headers don't know if it's worth the money or not? Don't think I need long tube headers? Then a new exhaust system that long tubes intails. The truck is not driven everyday and just used around town when I'm not towing. Really just looking to improve torque more than anything. Please any knowledge to share?.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Neither of those 2 upgrades are going to make a difference you can feel.
I assume you have a v8 and not a v6?

Might want to look into an 2500 or an diesel engine.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Long tubes will help with torque more than shorties. But you will also need a tune to take advantage of them. You can't just slap them on and expect mircles.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have a 2023 ram 1500 and tow a 27 foot Grand Design 2150RB it's 5,295 lbs trailer we do one big trip a year tow about 3,600 miles from Texas to New Jersey and back plus a few smaller trips throughout the year. I understand I'm towing a large wind sail just want to improve the engine's efficiency. Have a CAI installed already and when towing I'm making anywhere from 9 to 13 mpg depending on wind direction and steepness of the incline. I'm thinking of installing a pair of shorty headers don't know if it's worth the money or not? Don't think I need long tube headers? Then a new exhaust system that long tubes intails. The truck is not driven everyday and just used around town when I'm not towing. Really just looking to improve torque more than anything. Please any knowledge to share?.

For starters, in the quest for EPA numbers, FCA/Stellantis has already done most of the easy things to boost efficiency. Higher engine temperature, low viscosity oil, more transmission gears, for example. So get comfortable with the idea that the low hanging fruit has already been picked, and any gains you make are likely to be small. Having said that -

Yes, less exhaust restriction can help a bit. Headers may help a little, but there's also that big EPA mandated thing called a catalyst. If you want to risk it and the local authorities don't care, you could rip that out and really open the system up. Or there may be aftermarket solutions that achieve the same thing but are actually legal (expect $$$$). And if you go very far, you'll probably need a custom engine tune (more $$$$) to take advantage of it. And expect tiny results.

A custom transmission tune with lower shift points and less tendency to downshift might keep the engine in a more efficient low speed/high throttle range, but you probably won't like the way it drives.
And again, expect tiny results.

Probably the cheapest efficiency improvement you can make is to not use cruise control when towing. Feather the throttle, trying to minimize downshifting. Let it roll a bit downhill, let it slow a bit going uphill. With only a little practice, your foot will make better decisions than the factory cruise, which is programmed to burn as much fuel as necessary to maintain an exact speed.

If you want any really big improvement, do something about that rectangular box you are dragging through the atmosphere. Find out if someone makes a trailer tail or anything that will help the aerodynamics. And of course, reduced weight and slowing down will help a little regardless, but we already knew that, right?

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shorties are a waste of time and money.

To help with power, mpg and overall better drivability, long tube headers and custom tuning will be the best bang for your buck. Although neither are on the cheap side, the benefits are worth it.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For starters, in the quest for EPA numbers, FCA/Stellantis has already done most of the easy things to boost efficiency. Higher engine temperature, low viscosity oil, more transmission gears, for example. So get comfortable with the idea that the low hanging fruit has already been picked, and any gains you make are likely to be small. Having said that -

Yes, less exhaust restriction can help a bit. Headers may help a little, but there's also that big EPA mandated thing called a catalyst. If you want to risk it and the local authorities don't care, you could rip that out and really open the system up. Or there may be aftermarket solutions that achieve the same thing but are actually legal (expect $$$$). And if you go very far, you'll probably need a custom engine tune (more $$$$) to take advantage of it. And expect tiny results.

A custom transmission tune with lower shift points and less tendency to downshift might keep the engine in a more efficient low speed/high throttle range, but you probably won't like the way it drives.
And again, expect tiny results.

Probably the cheapest efficiency improvement you can make is to not use cruise control when towing. Feather the throttle, trying to minimize downshifting. Let it roll a bit downhill, let it slow a bit going uphill. With only a little practice, your foot will make better decisions than the factory cruise, which is programmed to burn as much fuel as necessary to maintain an exact speed.

If you want any really big improvement, do something about that rectangular box you are dragging through the atmosphere. Find out if someone makes a trailer tail or anything that will help the aerodynamics. And of course, reduced weight and slowing down will help a little regardless, but we already knew that, right?
There are plenty of shorty systems that still use factory catalytic converters. They also make converters to add with long tubes. This isn't 1980, where they haven't caught up to the EPA.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I speak from experience and can say shorties are a disaster and waste of money and time with no performance or efficiency gains towing or daily driving. They only change the tone of the Hemi’s voice and leak exhaust fumes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread