5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headers?

steveved

Reaction score
Funny thing: when I had my 2014 Chevrolet Silverado, there were multiple threads about guys putting headers, x-pipe and cat back systems on their trucks.

I have seen a few muffler and exhaust tips threads here, but nothing about headers. Other than the eTorque where the alternator goes and some computer tuning, the 2019 engines just look like carry overs from the previous model. If that is so, shouldn't the 4th gen headers just bolt up? Anyone try yet?

As my truck just crossed 500 miles, I am not ready to put headers on yet. But, I foresee this in the next 6 months. So, curious to see if anyone else has done this yet.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The motor is the same so they will mount to it just fine. The question will be whether or not it will have clearance issues with everything else that has been changed.

1scruffynerfherder

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. I happened across an IG post from KOOKS the other day and asked about the 2019 RAM, they said they'll be in development soon.

steveved

Reaction score
Good to know about Kooks. A lot of the Camaro guys swear by them. Hopefully, they will be available this summer. Still only have 3000 miles on my Ram, not really interested in touching the motor yet. But, after 6000, game on!

1scruffynerfherder

Reaction score
Good to know about Kooks. A lot of the Camaro guys swear by them. Hopefully, they will be available this summer. Still only have 3000 miles on my Ram, not really interested in touching the motor yet. But, after 6000, game on!
Any reason for 6000? I'm asking because I just sold my M4 with only 7000 miles and it took me 2.5 years to put that on it.
I don't want to have to wait if I don't have to, or else I'll never get anything modified. lol

steveved

Reaction score
Why 6000? Old hot rodder superstition. First oil change 600, second at 4000. I was taught that the first 600 miles is where bearings and other surfaces break in. And 3500 to 4000 is how long it takes the rings to fully seat. So, I add a little buffer to 6000 before I mod a vehicle.

If you think about it, most of us are creatures of habit.

1scruffynerfherder

Reaction score
Why 6000? Old hot rodder superstition. First oil change 600, second at 4000. I was taught that the first 600 miles is where bearings and other surfaces break in. And 3500 to 4000 is how long it takes the rings to fully seat. So, I add a little buffer to 6000 before I mod a vehicle.

If you think about it, most of us are creatures of habit.
Ahhh fair enough. There are two types of people I think, the ones who take it easy and run their motors in and the people who fry the tyres out of the dealership lol
I had a built 502 BBC in my 70' Chevelle and I babied that a bit after the build like you mentioned. I'll probably do 600-1,000 miles to run it in and then it's fair game for mods.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
6k is also probably long enough for build issues to pop up or not. I'd rather take care of warranty claims on an untouched motor.

To each their own!

Bredtodo

Reaction score
I’m also interested in headers, but only if their big horsepower gains.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very curious to see numbers with everything together.

They claim 37 more hp at the wheels at 58 lbs ft of torque just from the headers.

They also have a new Y pipe, with or without a cat, and a cold air intake.

Grimeyspecv

Reaction score
Does anyone have the header and y-pipe? It could just be the picture but the y-pipe has a slip joint and not a flange to the cat-back. Is the picture accurate?

Bonafide823

Reaction score
I'm only interested in headers because of the stock ones be cast iron right? One or two of my header bolts were definitely broken on my 15 ram. I dont know for sure if its true or but but it makes sense about cast iron headers and aluminum heads creating a big heat differences throughout the bolt. I'm no mechanic or anything but thats what makes me want to go after market headers.

Users who are viewing this thread