5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Head scratcher: 2019 ram crew cab. Code for transmission control but dealer says it’s a starter

Lemac87

Reaction score
Really scratching my head here. 2019 ram 5.7….won’t start. There’s power, hit the button and then “click” no turn over. Check engine light comes on and I get a code P1B13-00: Park-By-Wire - Unintended Out of Park Position

Resetting via battery: code goes away , truck turns over. Lasts about 7-8 days and goes back into “click mode “.

First time around had it towed to a dealer who said “starter is fine. There’s no code anymore. Nothing is wrong with the truck “. Drove like new.

8 days later - click. This time won’t reset.

Towed again and dealer tells me “it’s a starter , not the code “.

I get that sometimes electrical issues can throw some wild codes out there - but can someone explain to me how In God’s name the stater has anything to do with the transmission ?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In the old days of transmission linkages, there would be a neutral start switch. A vehicle would only start in park or neutral. They are now electronically shifted. Even if you shut off the engine in drive, it shifts itself into park. I have never worked on shift by wire, but my opinion, is that it is not shifting all the way into park at times. If not in park, it won't start. Again just guessing, but there may be an adjustment to the actuator, or the actuator is bad.

Users who are viewing this thread