5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HDRam forum website down

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I thought I’d post a question about HDRam, it will not load, “site not responding” did they move the address.

Will_T

Reaction score
Sorry, for some reason I did not find your question in a search until after I started another thread on the same issue that has a couple of replies now but no answer yet. Maybe someone will post what is going on. And maybe a Mod will combine the two threads.

Brian B

Reaction score
I get a security warning when I try to go to HDRAMS.COM, not secure, hackers may be trying to steal your info.

Will_T

Reaction score
Yeah, it is offline again all day so far. I suggested to one of the moderators that if they have any info, they make a post here just to let us know what is going on and maybe what to expect.
Edit: I just got a notification from the HD site about a post on a followed thread. Not sure if that means it is being worked on and some functions are being restored or if the notification was from before the site crashed and it just came through now. Or maybe some people are able to access the site and it is indeed a new post. I doubt that though as I texted a friend and had him try from his location and he gets the same error saying the site is unavailable and may have been attacked.

Last edited:

Will_T

Reaction score
Just found out the same from the moderator I asked earlier. Too bad they can't run it like this site. Maybe I have just missed issues here because I am not a regular, but I have not heard that this sister site has similar issues.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Edit: I just got a notification from the HD site about a post on a followed thread. Not sure if that means it is being worked on and some functions are being restored or if the notification was from before the site crashed and it just came through now. Or maybe some people are able to access the site and it is indeed a new post. I doubt that though as I texted a friend and had him try from his location and he gets the same error saying the site is unavailable and may have been attacked.

Email notifications lagged behind the server move last weekend.

SSL certificate expired this morning. .

Yup, cert expired (again). Admin has been PM'd.

@JC

Reaction score
The admin should be fired. That's unacceptable incompetence with how easy it is to be alerted to ssl expiration schedules nowadays. No one who knows what they're doing waits for the last minute, you can renew anytime within 30 days and the time rolls into the next year. And it's been down for over a day, it takes at most 15 minutes to submit a cert request, authenticate it and apply the new cert to the site.

Will_T

Reaction score
The admin should be fired. That's unacceptable incompetence with how easy it is to be alerted to ssl expiration schedules nowadays. No one who knows what they're doing waits for the last minute, you can renew anytime within 30 days and the time rolls into the next year. And it's been down for over a day, it takes at most 15 minutes to submit a cert request, authenticate it and apply the new cert to the site.

If this is correct, then there must be more of an issue than just the certificate. I am sure whoever owns the site is not happy to have it offline for so long.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If this is correct, then there must be more of an issue than just the certificate. I am sure whoever owns the site is not happy to have it offline for so long.
From the sounds of it, it seems that the admin over there is a “set it up and forget it” type, that doesn’t monitor the site, and is clueless as to any issues going on until contacted about it repeatedly.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The "admin" isn't the site owner, it's some IT geek that - yes, should be fired. That sentiment has been expressed to Jared on multiple occasions. I don't know the details of the relationship between the site owner and their "host."

All the sister sites are now running on a new server after the performance issues that have been ongoing for months came to a boil. Why this cert issues continues to plague hdrams is unknown by me.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can buy a 1 year cert from godaddy, network solutions or a ton of other places. It's around $100 a year now I think due to inflation.

The one on the HDRams website are the free certs from lets encrypt, but those only get a couple month tops expiration date.
When you buy or use a cert you get an expiration date, you set a event in your outlook, android, ios calendar 1 month before and then you renew and apply the new cert depending on the website can take 5 minutes

Even the new cert that was just applied (which was generated on May 9th a month ago) expires on Monday, August 7 so expect the website to be down for a couple days at that exact time again lol.

The comments on this page are harsh (even if true) lol.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is the cert is getting renewed but the user's browser is using the old cached cert or getting it from an open TLS session on the server.

Apparently, this is a "feature" in Chromium.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Use a browser not made by google.

I'm on it now with Firefox.
Got nothing to do with the browser.
its not opening for me on Firefox.
The cert is expired again.

You can use obscure browsers to bypass problems, but it's still a problem of just letting the cert expire.

1706163502788.png

k-meleon which lets you bypass like anything, and get yourself into troble if you don't know what you're doing
1706163682129.png

MXtoolbox does a live check, not that I would have the HDrams site cache as I don't go there.
1706163780065.png

Users who are viewing this thread