5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hazzards after idling

Topher

Reaction score
Does anyone know about this feature my hazzards come on while my truck is idling for 20 or 30 min. I like to take a nap on my lunch break and sometimes run my truck in park for an 45 min or so. Twice now sitting in the passenger seat my hazzards randomly come on 20 or 30 min into my nap lol.

heliinstructor

Reaction score
Does anyone know about this feature my hazzards come on while my truck is idling for 20 or 30 min. I like to take a nap on my lunch break and sometimes run my truck in park for an 45 min or so. Twice now sitting in the passenger seat my hazzards randomly come on 20 or 30 min into my nap lol.

No idea but stop idling for so long…bad for the environment!

2021 Ram Rebel Diamond Black Crystal Night Edition

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I saw something about them coming on automatically. Also read that long idling supposedly not good for these engines. You need to sling some oil in that engine!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think I saw something about them coming on automatically. Also read that long idling supposedly not good for these engines. You need to sling some oil in that engine!
That's a myth, idling these engines doesn't do any harm other than waste fuel. These engines oil just fine at idle

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

That's a myth, idling these engines doesn't do any harm other than waste fuel. These engines oil just fine at idle
Can either of you can provide something useful to back up your claims, or are we just supposed to believe the one who sounds more credible? :ROFLMAO:

Topher enjoys spending his lunch break in his truck with the engine running (assuming for climate control). It's not something I chose not to do, for my own reasons, but why does anyone here feel the need to lecture him?

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read a few posts on here about idling. I choose not to idle a lot based on what I've read. I didn't think someone would interpret my comment as a lecture. I'm just posting my opinion. Not claiming it's a fact or myth.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
Aside from the idling lecture, I idle often, always did, never saw the hazard light come on automatically. I am talking hours at a time.

2019 ram 1500 Laramie

BowDown

Reaction score
Can either of you can provide something useful to back up your claims, or are we just supposed to believe the one who sounds more credible? :ROFLMAO:

Topher enjoys spending his lunch break in his truck with the engine running (assuming for climate control). It's not something I chose not to do, for my own reasons, but why does anyone here feel the need to lecture him?

My previous ram had 277K on its HEMI with no issues and it idlied all the time but exactly how does idling cause an engine failure?
I don't like to idle because it wastes fuel, that's it.

Topher

Reaction score
Wow lots of responses. I wasn't expecting that 😅. I love my naps on my lunch break. I've done it in my last two vehicles a 2018 ram 1500 v6 and a jeep grand Cherokee. But this is my first hemi so it could be different and it does kill some gas that's for sure. I don't take any of it as a lecture I'm new to the hemi so it's all good info to me. Maybe need to lay off the naps in the truck till the weather cools off.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Jan 2016
”...idling can actually be damaging to an engine and
vehicle components. This is because idling
can produce sulfuric acid, which can eat
away at the engine and other components.
Additionally, idling results in lower in-
cylinder temperatures combustion, which
can produce additional soot, creates buildup
in the engine, and causes unnecessary engine wear.”

Their sources were all the auto OEMs, along with Cat, DD, Cummins, Volvo, etc. Why do you think they track idle time? It’s a wear factor, and it reduces oil life.

So, of course it’s your choice to sit and idle. Just like it’s your choice to smoke, never wash your car, (perfectly legal but not smart) or even skydive (I do but not because it’s harmless). Just accept the cost for that benefit.

BowDown

Reaction score
Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Jan 2016
”...idling can actually be damaging to an engine and
vehicle components. This is because idling
can produce sulfuric acid, which can eat
away at the engine and other components.
Additionally, idling results in lower in-
cylinder temperatures combustion, which
can produce additional soot, creates buildup
in the engine, and causes unnecessary engine wear.”

Their sources were all the auto OEMs, along with Cat, DD, Cummins, Volvo, etc. Why do you think they track idle time? It’s a wear factor, and it reduces oil life.

So, of course it’s your choice to sit and idle. Just like it’s your choice to smoke, never wash your car, (perfectly legal but not smart) or even skydive (I do but not because it’s harmless). Just accept the cost for that benefit.

Of course its a wear factor, the engine running in any capacity is a wear factor. I've seen that report and others and those factors are true with carbed engines (also not the word "can", not does) IMO, not so much in port injected engines running in closed loop. Modern engines have the ability to let the cylinder temps stay hot enough for that not to be an issue and pull fuel so it doesn't wash down a cylinder idling (fuel trims).
To each his own, in all my years of modding and racing and the 270+K on my old truck, I've never seen idling to be a problem, matter of fact, the only negative I've seen with idling is overheating, I think the OP is fine.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Of course its a wear factor, the engine running in any capacity is a wear factor. I've seen that report and others and those factors are true with carbed engines (also not the word "can", not does) IMO, not so much in port injected engines running in closed loop. Modern engines have the ability to let the cylinder temps stay hot enough for that not to be an issue and pull fuel so it doesn't wash down a cylinder idling (fuel trims).
To each his own, in all my years of modding and racing and the 270+K on my old truck, I've never seen idling to be a problem, matter of fact, the only negative I've seen with idling is overheating, I think the OP is fine.
That report was specific to modern, injected engines, and used current data from the OEMs. It was not about carbureted engines.

Somebody asked for scientific evidence, not hearsay. There are any number of those out there. Any one individual’s experience is hearsay. Believe what you will, but separate opinion from fact.

Will the OP notice the wear or damage? Probably not. Is idling for an hour acidifying the oil and causing soot and excess wear? Probably. Is he wasting fuel and creating unnecessary pollution? His choice.

When was the last time you saw environmental damage from carbon emissions? Or the effects of micro-plastics in our oceans?

Reminds me of the old plumbers joke. Customer says to plumber ”That looks like some mighty sloppy work there”. To which the plumber replies “I’ve never had to come back and fix my work. Trust me, I’ve been doing it this way for 20 years”. After he gets paid and leaves, the next day his work springs a leak, the company sends out another plumber. Customer asks why they didn’t send the last guy to fix his work. New plumber says “They never send that guy back to fix anything.“

Last edited:

Scram1500

Reaction score
Acidified oil? That would mean moisture or an emulsion in the engine oil. When I sit and idle the cooling fan comes on every few minutes and the oil is above 220F evaporating any possible moisture or "acid". That report was to get people to stop wasting fuel

BowDown

Reaction score
Acidified oil? That would mean moisture or an emulsion in the engine oil. When I sit and idle the cooling fan comes on every few minutes and the oil is above 220F evaporating any possible moisture or "acid". That report was to get people to stop wasting fuel
Completely agree, if anyone bothered to look at the evic information when idling they'd say that that information wasn't accurate

BowDown

Reaction score
That report was specific to modern, injected engines, and used current data from the OEMs. It was not about carbureted engines.

Somebody asked for scientific evidence, not hearsay. There are any number of those out there. Any one individual’s experience is hearsay. Believe what you will, but separate opinion from fact.

Will the OP notice the wear or damage? Probably not. Is idling for an hour acidifying the oil and causing soot and excess wear? Probably. Is he wasting fuel and creating unnecessary pollution? His choice.

When was the last time you saw environmental damage from carbon emissions? Or the effects of micro-plastics in our oceans?

Reminds me of the old plumbers joke. Customer says to plumber ”That looks like some mighty sloppy work there”. To which the plumber replies “I’ve never had to come back and fix my work. Trust me, I’ve been doing it this way for 20 years”. After he gets paid and leaves, the next day his work springs a leak, the company sends out another plumber. Customer asks why they didn’t send the last guy to fix his work. New plumber says “They never send that guy back to fix anything.“
As hot as modern injected engines run while idling or driving, I seriously question the validity of that report but as I said, do what you want

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/