5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having a hard time deciding

1ramrunner

Reaction score
I am looking to move from my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 to a 2021 model. I started looking at a Big Horn, but with all the options I wanted, a Larime seemed to be the best fit. I stumbled onto a Limited at a great price, but I don't want power running boards. I am now looking at Rebel because I'm not sure about the Larime rims. But, I don't think I'll ever go off road. I do know I want RamBox, Night Edition, Crystal Granite, BUG, Duel Pane Panoramic Sunroof, and 12" screen. I am considering the 360 view, but don't really know why. Too many choices.

Rexx

Reaction score
Why don’t you want power running boards? Just curious.

Another option you may want to consider is the Multi Fuction Tailgate (MFT). If you go in and out of the bed of the truck a lot it’s super convenient.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
If the power running boards scare you might as well buy a mistubishi mirage for 14k.

I originally wanted a bighorn with 12" screen and pano roof.... i ended up with a limited.

Do it once do it right.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the Limited for the wife( ;-) ) because of the great ride, but both of us really like the power boards. Have a Limited with ALMOAST all the options, and really can't see going for anything else now that we have it.
Just my 2cents.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 22" on the Limited ride rough unless you have air suspension, and air is not good in cold climates. Rebels are nice.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Limited comes with air ride in the package. Don't know about the 22's, but 20's are what mine has, and the ride is great. Also, even in below freezing temps, have never had a problem. Because it is a sealed system, I don't have to worry about adding air tank antifreeze.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
The 22" on the Limited ride rough unless you have air suspension, and air is not good in cold climates. Rebels are nice.

It seems people who make these comments about air ride not being good had older vehicles with air suspension or are going off someone elses post about 'this one time at band camp' a failure happened.

My air ride has had no problems. 100k bumper to bumper makes me feel even less concerned.

Edit: sorry if that comes off fiesty, its just that I have had half a michelob ultra and am feeling like flexing my internet muscles.

Rexx

Reaction score
and air is not good in cold climates. Rebels are nice.
I’ve heard this a lot but haven’t experienced it.
I had a 16 longhorn with air suspension. No issues through 4 winters in Southern Alberta with it. It’s now way up north in the N.W.T. With my dad and knock on wood but he’s had no issues so far.
My 20 limited has the air suspension as well and while I haven’t had it a full year (bought end of February last year) so far I’ve had zero issues.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like all the parts in these newer Rams, there are bad ones, but that doesn't make them all bad. I have a good one but that doesn't make them all good. The thing about a closed nitrogen system is that it is an inert gas, and there should be no moisture problems in the system. That does not mean that there cannot be a grinch in it, but I would think that another area in the million miles of wire and gigabytes of computer power might be mor suspect.
So far, 27000+ trouble free miles.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Rebels are nice, but be prepared for mpg not matching the window sticker, that's just a blanket EPA rating for all 1500 of similar configuration. However, with the Rebels mandatory 3.92 rear axle and 33" A/T tires, mpg is easily the worst of all the trims.

I can get 19 mpg highway if I really try, but in reality my mixed mpg rating is about 13 mpg. It doesn't bother me since I work from home, but if I had to commute daily, I may have considered a different trim, maybe.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Another vote for "Go with the Limited!!!" I started off debating Sport vs Rebel, and then Rebel vs Laramie. Personally, I'll never do any serious off-roading with a truck this expensive so once I configured the Laramie the way I wanted, I was basically in Limited territory and there are little extras in the Limited that make it even more refined. I love the 360 view when parking especially since parking spaces these days are sized for a Toyota Prius. At first I wasn't too sure aobut the 22s but no complaints about the ride.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rebels are nice, but be prepared for mpg not matching the window sticker, that's just a blanket EPA rating for all 1500 of similar configuration. However, with the Rebels mandatory 3.92 rear axle and 33" A/T tires, mpg is easily the worst of all the trims.

I can get 19 mpg highway if I really try, but in reality my mixed mpg rating is about 13 mpg. It doesn't bother me since I work from home, but if I had to commute daily, I may have considered a different trim, maybe.
Same - I can get about 16 mpg around town. I am fairly 'out of town' so not much stop and go but I do have to try. But with gas prices being low I don't let it bother me at all...I just love driving this truck! Although working from home I don't get to drive it as much as I would like...it literally sits for 5 days at a time some weeks.

coolidge

Reaction score
I am looking to move from my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 to a 2021 model. I started looking at a Big Horn, but with all the options I wanted, a Larime seemed to be the best fit. I stumbled onto a Limited at a great price, but I don't want power running boards. I am now looking at Rebel because I'm not sure about the Larime rims. But, I don't think I'll ever go off road. I do know I want RamBox, Night Edition, Crystal Granite, BUG, Duel Pane Panoramic Sunroof, and 12" screen. I am considering the 360 view, but don't really know why. Too many choices.

I have a 2 week old 2021 Rebel in the driveway, loving it. Owned a 2010 Ram 1500 also, night and day difference. Had power running boards on a couple of trucks. They are 'okay' but the mechanisms get clogged with ice and snow and the drivers side on my last one (Ford) was making some noise like gears were failing. Going with fixed running boards on this 2021 they should arrive at the dealer this week. Note: I ordered the Ram off road CAST aluminum running boards with a textured grip surface. They are more money but nice, my brother put them on his Ram.

Had the 360 view on my F350 I just traded in. It was a nice to have but avoided on the Ram due to having to opt for all the computer safety crap to get it. Love the 12" screen and had fully intended NOT to order it, it's the bom so glad this off the lot Rebel has it. Also have the HUD which I'm loving. The computer screen rear view mirror is utterly useless to me though, I put it into regular mirror mode.

with the 3.92 rear diff and regular Hemi V8 she gets up and goes like a bat out of hell.

WARNING: If you get the MFT like I have your bed cover options are significantly limited. My Extang arrived today, one of the few that fit. The issue is they add some corner braces to the inside/front of the bed due to the MFT and those interfere with most of the bed cover rails. I think I'll like the MFT and the bed cover issue was a minor annoyance so a fair trade off.

The Rebel Wrangler tires are a bit much for highway driving, a bit of whine but I have heard far worse. I'll likely go with a more friendly AT/Highway tire after I run these for a year or so.

2010 vs 2021 The 2021 feels light and nimble, better handling, brakes are awesome I see Ram went with larger rotors on these. And compared to the 2017 F350 I just traded the brakes are WAY better. Center console is super cool love how its adjustable and a crap ton of storage.

The RAM interior control layout is PERFECTION! My 2017 F350 control layout is best described as awkward and clunky in comparison.

Ram LED headlights crush the F350 LED headlights. After a week in the Ram driving our dark country roads I have to say they are on par with my 2014 F150 HID headlights which were the previous king of headlights. The old 2014 F150 HID is still the leader but not by much and I constantly got flashed in the F150.

Take a look at my truck. It does NOT have the night Night Edition, yet apparently if you choose black you get most of it. Headlights, taillights, rear and side badges blacked out. Yet silver RAM logo on the grill and silver front skid plate, and silver accents on the black wheels. To me that's just the right amount of blacked out without being too blacked out.

myr01.jpg myr02.jpg

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2 week old 2021 Rebel in the driveway, loving it. Owned a 2010 Ram 1500 also, night and day difference. Had power running boards on a couple of trucks. They are 'okay' but the mechanisms get clogged with ice and snow and the drivers side on my last one (Ford) was making some noise like gears were failing. Going with fixed running boards on this 2021 they should arrive at the dealer this week. Note: I ordered the Ram off road CAST aluminum running boards with a textured grip surface. They are more money but nice, my brother put them on his Ram.

Had the 360 view on my F350 I just traded in. It was a nice to have but avoided on the Ram due to having to opt for all the computer safety crap to get it. Love the 12" screen and had fully intended NOT to order it, it's the bom so glad this off the lot Rebel has it. Also have the HUD which I'm loving. The computer screen rear view mirror is utterly useless to me though, I put it into regular mirror mode.

with the 3.92 rear diff and regular Hemi V8 she gets up and goes like a bat out of hell.

WARNING: If you get the MFT like I have your bed cover options are significantly limited. My Extang arrived today, one of the few that fit. The issue is they add some corner braces to the inside/front of the bed due to the MFT and those interfere with most of the bed cover rails. I think I'll like the MFT and the bed cover issue was a minor annoyance so a fair trade off.

The Rebel Wrangler tires are a bit much for highway driving, a bit of whine but I have heard far worse. I'll likely go with a more friendly AT/Highway tire after I run these for a year or so.

2010 vs 2021 The 2021 feels light and nimble, better handling, brakes are awesome I see Ram went with larger rotors on these. And compared to the 2017 F350 I just traded the brakes are WAY better. Center console is super cool love how its adjustable and a crap ton of storage.

The RAM interior control layout is PERFECTION! My 2017 F350 control layout is best described as awkward and clunky in comparison.

Ram LED headlights crush the F350 LED headlights. After a week in the Ram driving our dark country roads I have to say they are on par with my 2014 F150 HID headlights which were the previous king of headlights. The old 2014 F150 HID is still the leader but not by much and I constantly got flashed in the F150.

Take a look at my truck. It does NOT have the night Night Edition, yet apparently if you choose black you get most of it. Headlights, taillights, rear and side badges blacked out. Yet silver RAM logo on the grill and silver front skid plate, and silver accents on the black wheels. To me that's just the right amount of blacked out without being too blacked out.

View attachment 76110 View attachment 76111
Nice looking truck!! I'm in the minority and like the silver RAM and skid plate. I did add some black color lugs and I think they made a huge difference to the overall look.

Attachments

• 20201108_140339.jpg
    20201108_140339.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20201108_145229.jpg
    20201108_145229.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 43

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Could get a Warlock and choose whatever axle ratio you want 😁

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had a 2019 bighorn, and now own a 2021 Laramie. If you like the higher level trim features just go for that right off the bat. Limiteds have some pretty good deals right now with employee pricing I believe. Maybe an opportunity to get into one. I also see your point on powers running boards I have no desire for those either. Main reason I like my running boards are for door ding protection. Here is my 2021 Laramie with off road package. My similarly equipped big horn handled all of the slight off roading I threw at it. CDE19B06-549B-49B9-82C4-9FCC121A6041.jpeg

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
I love my Rebel. Inside with leather, Level 2, pano, it looks luxurious. Outside it looks bad ***.
I'm NOT a fan of trucks with oversized rims. I just don't get it and I think it looks funny. That's me, not you. The Rebel seems like the best of both worlds. And 3.92's in the rear? Can't go wrong there.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I have had a 2019 bighorn, and now own a 2021 Laramie. If you like the higher level trim features just go for that right off the bat. Limiteds have some pretty good deals right now with employee pricing I believe. Maybe an opportunity to get into one. I also see your point on powers running boards I have no desire for those either. Main reason I like my running boards are for door ding protection. Here is my 2021 Laramie with off road package. My similarly equipped big horn handled all of the slight off roading I threw at it. View attachment 76121

For my limited when i park in a known congested parking area i put it in OR2 and put the running boards down. Solves door dings from the lower cars.

Users who are viewing this thread