5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you ever since this a RAM?

getsumcutty

Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 RAM 1500 Bighorn and never seen this on the side of the other truck. Can y'all tell me what it is? It's the little chrome pieces on the side of the truck. Looks like they are either glued or welded on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230206_174810_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230206_174810_Photos.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 217
  • Screenshot_20230206_175553_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230206_175553_Photos.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stuck on with adhesive. These folds that have tricks to debadge might be able to help you remove them.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry. I have one up there now. Going to add more

Oh gotcha, looks like some Pep Boys aftermarket trim. They typically use 3M double sided tape to stick on, just like badges.

If you don't like it, you can remove pretty easily, let your truck sit in the the sun for a bit, then take some fishing line or strong dental floss and to "saw" the adhesive between the trim piece and the bodywork.

You can use Goo Gone to help soften and remove the adhesive that remains. But if you warm it up properly, maybe a hair dryer, it should come off more easily. There are a lot of Youtube videos that show how to do it. Just search car adhesive/badge removal.

79 300

Reaction score
I would be prepared to find some kind of damage under them. They might have been used as a quick cover up for a scrape or something.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They aren't factory. I had these on my 2001 Silverado. On earlier trim models, they tied the chrome bumpers together with chrome side accents. They looked good in the day, but not on today's trucks. If you remove them, please do NOT get a corner loose and use pliers to pull them off. They will warp and distort the lower section of the panel. Definitely heat them up and use a fishing line wire to remove.

01.jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
1675731471904.png

I'm confused, that stripe that looks like a reflection is white tape someone put on that beautiful truck?

You can use this to take it off.
Works for OEM labels too.
Assuming it isn't like just some random hard plastic stuck on.
Spin it past, but be very gentle when making contact. I used it to remove decals on my Camaro and de-badge my Silverado and it worked great.
Make sure to rinse and use a wash mit after to get the leftovers off (just sitting on the paint)

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
They are stainless steel rocker panels. We used them up north to protect from gravel rash before they made panel contours so complex and then came out with the clear paint protective films.
If you are lucky, they were put on prior to getting road rash. Most of the sets I installed were on new to me trucks to cover up existing and prevent further damage.

Skidoo 004.jpg

95RAM_200K 009.jpg

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would be prepared to find some kind of damage under them. They might have been used as a quick cover up for a scrape or something.

This. Might wanna have them removed prior to signing any paperwork, could be personalized from the previous owner or used as a quick cover up from the dealer to get it on the lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

getsumcutty

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I rubbed my hand against it and it is some type of metal. I will follow the guidance and I will update when done

Last edited:

getsumcutty

Reaction score
Y'all were right. This is what I found. I removed the rest of the panels and saw no damage.

Attachments

• 20230207_132232.jpg
    20230207_132232.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 98

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Probably gonna find that the paint doesn't match. Usually the paint fades a bit and the part that was covered up will not have faded any. You will probably see where those hideous panels were.

bikemancs

Reaction score
I have those on my 2006. Makes sense as gravel guards as the lower part of my radiator was potmarked by gravel.

I plan on removing them at some point and getting a full re-paint at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread