5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have to laugh at what Toyota is doing to new Tundra owners!

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was watching a youtube on the new Tundra,(no! not interested, just curious), and the reviewer was talking about how pissed everyone is that Toyota is going to charge a monthly subscription fee after an introduction period to...get this....OPERATE THE REMOTE START!! :p you gotta be freakin kiddin... I'm talking the KEY FOB remote too! They disable that remotely unless you start paying, I sh*t you not.

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Reaction score
I would be more mad at how ugly the new Tundra is.

It seems to be a potential trend that automakers will be looking to make extra money off the tech in their vehicles. Getting consumers to pay extra to unlock “premium” features.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That’s normal procedure, ram does the same thing. So does gm, Subaru, and others.

The phone app remote start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Shoot, Amazon has Start-X remote starters for under $200 to fit the new Tundra. I put one in a 2020 Rubicon. It was plug and play, worked flawless with the factory key fob. I would just go that route.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s normal procedure, ram does the same thing. So does gm, Subaru, and others.

The phone app remote start.

Well...phone app maybe, but key fob? RAM sure doesn't do that!

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Read the article posted above. It explains Toyota key fob issue. It is kinda dumb but I could see how it could be added to a subscription.

It’s funny our Subaru doesn’t have a key fob remote start. To add the module and fob is $300. But yet we can still start it with our phone and the subscription.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like civilization is going the way of "pay to play" with autos. Automakers now have the ability to nickel and dime people to death by charging ongoing subscription fees for functions that used to be a one-and-done purchase, and it looked like Toyota was hopping on the bandwagon. Think I might just hold onto this truck for a while.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s been confirmed that Toyota has backed out of doing the subscription remote start for now.

Edit: Oops, I didn’t realize @ferraiolo1 ’s post had a link saying the same thing.

RAMKing1

Reaction score
Subaru doesn't have remote start on the keyfob you need to use the app. The app is also a subscription fee. I think it's nuts to not have it on the key fob.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
It’s an add on you can buy to have a fob.

Subaru and Toyota are in bed together so it makes sense to do something that doesn’t make sense.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s been confirmed that Toyota has backed out of doing the subscription remote start for now.

Edit: Oops, I didn’t realize @ferraiolo1 ’s post had a link saying the same thing.
do you have a link to this claim? The article link above says they are reviewing if it is even possible for them to separate the fob from the DCM which controls it.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
That was an article from last year. Ether the way, do you own a Toyota? What’s it matter lol

I already paid my Subaru subscription.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That was an article from last year. Ether the way, do you own a Toyota? What’s it matter lol

I already paid my Subaru subscription.

it matters, believe me. The other manufacturers are waiting to see if this works for Toyota,(which it won't), and we are seeing more and more subscription add-ons with these vehicles. Kind of like what the airlines did with all the extra charges now. The backlash hopefully will tamp this fad down for a while. And no, I don't own a Tundra wiseguy.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if Toyota backed out of it, or even miscommunicated what it actually was, because all manufacturers are eyeing subscription based services in the future for things that should be bought and done.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if Toyota backed out of it, or even miscommunicated what it actually was, because all manufacturers are eyeing subscription based services in the future for things that should be bought and done.
To add onto this, Stellantis said in a press release that they plan to shift towards suscription services and being a software company. They estimate that they’ll generate $22.5 billion in revenue per year from subscriptions. Think about that number and the $33.4 billion they plan to invest into software for subscriptions. Subscriptions are coming, and they’ll be here to stay. We’re living the end of the golden era right now where we’re not “nickle and dimed” to death from subscriptions.

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
Tom Petty said it: "... all the boys upstairs want to see
How much you'll pay for what you used to get for free"

Not me. I never even use the "free 6 months" of Sirius (I've got my 500 favorite songs on USB and I'm good to go).
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread