5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hauling Motorcycles, can I get by with a short-bed?

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have 5 motorcycles and the sole reason for getting a truck is how much we're hauling them now. Generally one is always in a shop or garage of some sort, one is in a trailer going to an event and then there are long road trips my wife and I want to take where I can do 1000 miles in a day, she can do far less so we're thinking of loading our bikes and heading out west for a month and driving instead of riding.
  1. 88 inches - 320 pounds
  2. 89 inches - 550 pounds
  3. 86 inches - 489 pounds
  4. 90 inches - 680 pounds
  5. 88.2 inches - 270 pounds
Looks like the 5'7" bed @ 67 inches won't be large enough.

If it was just me and my one bike, I think I could get by (side-ways load) but there are at least 6 events this year and 2 road trips where we'll have 2 motorcycles in the truck. The tail gate, at the heaviest of the two bikes would be something like 600 pounds if I leave the tail gate down. For a longer road trip, that means losing the back up camera and putting a lot of weight over bumps on the tail gate which I hear is expensive to replace with all of the tech they have now.

-----
We also eventually will haul a small camper (staying within the weight limits of course of truck, payload and towing) so I'd like to be able to keep the tail gate closed.

So I think....a 6'4" bed is required for me which does mean losing the RAM Box function and Multi-function tail gate as build options. It also means, for a Limited, having a bit less buying power when it comes to saving money.

What I'm looking for is some guidance from you all on what my options are. I guess the final consideration is just getting an aluminum trailer that can hold 3 bikes and then I could have my short bed but sacrifice some MPG when we do have to tow.

Most days, it's just one bike and a 5'7" is fine. it's those 6 or so events per year where we have an 8 hour drive and 2-3 bikes where I know the longer bed would come in use. I live in a very rural part of the country and don't go to events in cities so the longer truck won't be a problem for parking. We have 4 cars, one of which is a road trip / city car we take that's good on gas and easy to park in small cars spaces.

I'll be starting a family in the next couple of years so unfortunately, the larger cab is required as well or this would be a much easier inventory issue of more 6'4" beds available on the smaller cab models.

Anyway, thanks a lot experts and I have appreciated reading all of the posts here.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you already know your answer. I've had one bike in the bed with the tailgate closed on a 5'7", but like you said, two won't fit.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you already know your answer. I've had one bike in the bed with the tailgate closed on a 5'7", but like you said, two won't fit.

I do know the answer BUT I know this forum has a lot of experts so I'm hoping someone can help me get into a 5'7" bed with a solution I haven't thought of yet but so far, I'm coming up short. I'd like to make the shorter bed work and there may be something I'm missing that one of you can steer me in the right direction.

If the tail gate can indeed do the job with it down without a lot of long term effects on it requiring replacement and I could still tow, I'd be up for trying that but right now, I don't have a lot of confidence in that method.

Thanks in advance to everyone who takes time to lend their advice.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
You can get away with the tail gate down. But if you get a small rv and put a bike in the truck bed you’ll be over weight. May wanna look at a 2500

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What about a bike track that disperses the weight from the front tire to the rear. I don't know if they make such a contraption, but if it was available, the bed of the truck would take the majority of the weight transfer because of the front to rear distance of the track. This might not be making sense, but I'll look and see what I can find.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found something similar to what I was thinking, but this is a power loader, not just a tie down.

mc-loader.jpg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We have 5 motorcycles and the sole reason for getting a truck is how much we're hauling them now. Generally one is always in a shop or garage of some sort, one is in a trailer going to an event and then there are long road trips my wife and I want to take where I can do 1000 miles in a day, she can do far less so we're thinking of loading our bikes and heading out west for a month and driving instead of riding.
  1. 88 inches - 320 pounds
  2. 89 inches - 550 pounds
  3. 86 inches - 489 pounds
  4. 90 inches - 680 pounds
  5. 88.2 inches - 270 pounds
Looks like the 5'7" bed @ 67 inches won't be large enough.

If it was just me and my one bike, I think I could get by (side-ways load) but there are at least 6 events this year and 2 road trips where we'll have 2 motorcycles in the truck. The tail gate, at the heaviest of the two bikes would be something like 600 pounds if I leave the tail gate down. For a longer road trip, that means losing the back up camera and putting a lot of weight over bumps on the tail gate which I hear is expensive to replace with all of the tech they have now.

-----
We also eventually will haul a small camper (staying within the weight limits of course of truck, payload and towing) so I'd like to be able to keep the tail gate closed.

So I think....a 6'4" bed is required for me which does mean losing the RAM Box function and Multi-function tail gate as build options. It also means, for a Limited, having a bit less buying power when it comes to saving money.

What I'm looking for is some guidance from you all on what my options are. I guess the final consideration is just getting an aluminum trailer that can hold 3 bikes and then I could have my short bed but sacrifice some MPG when we do have to tow.

Most days, it's just one bike and a 5'7" is fine. it's those 6 or so events per year where we have an 8 hour drive and 2-3 bikes where I know the longer bed would come in use. I live in a very rural part of the country and don't go to events in cities so the longer truck won't be a problem for parking. We have 4 cars, one of which is a road trip / city car we take that's good on gas and easy to park in small cars spaces.

I'll be starting a family in the next couple of years so unfortunately, the larger cab is required as well or this would be a much easier inventory issue of more 6'4" beds available on the smaller cab models.

Anyway, thanks a lot experts and I have appreciated reading all of the posts here.
I have an in-bed chock and the OEM bed extender. With these and Rhino USA straps, I can carry either my old BSA or my wife's new Vespa safely and securely (not at the same time, of course). But my bikes have MUCH shorter wheelbases than yours. You could install a (removable) track that would allow your bike to hang over the rear, but shoot...you might want to buy or rent a lightweight trailer to haul 3 long bikes safely.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found something similar to what I was thinking, but this is a power loader, not just a tie down.

mc-loader.jpg

Thank you for that. After we chatted today, I started looking at these loader contraptions. Found some that are built for side by sides that can accommodate motorcycles that sit on top of the bed (allowing for storage underneath) but man, those start at like 6 grand.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an in-bed chock and the OEM bed extender. With these and Rhino USA straps, I can carry either my old BSA or my wife's new Vespa safely and securely (not at the same time, of course). But my bikes have MUCH shorter wheelbases than yours. You could install a (removable) track that would allow your bike to hang over the rear, but shoot...you might want to buy or rent a lightweight trailer to haul 3 long bikes safely.

That’s what I’m thinking. A light weight aluminum trailer can haul 3 bikes easily and store spare tires and other gear and make this much easier on us.

JimD007

Reaction score
If you weld, you could also buy the inexpensive Harbor Freight trailer and modify it a little for easier use with motorcycles. I put mine on craigslist when I got the truck but I used it for over 10 years and it worked great. I think it cost about $300. You wouldn't have to weld in modifications but a U channel for the tires would seem nice and I would put some D rings on but I bolted those in place. If you keep the bed flat, you can fold it up for storage. The one I had was rated for 1,000 or 1,200 lbs, can't remember which.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you weld, you could also buy the inexpensive Harbor Freight trailer and modify it a little for easier use with motorcycles. I put mine on craigslist when I got the truck but I used it for over 10 years and it worked great. I think it cost about $300. You wouldn't have to weld in modifications but a U channel for the tires would seem nice and I would put some D rings on but I bolted those in place. If you keep the bed flat, you can fold it up for storage. The one I had was rated for 1,000 or 1,200 lbs, can't remember which.

Long term, we wanted to get a light 2-person pop up or RV so we’re trying to find a solution where we can put 2 dirt bikes in the back at 300 pounds each then haul something behind to sleep in. If I could afford a toy-hauler and a 2500, that’d solve all of our issues but we’re just not there yet financially. so 1500 w/ long bed is it at the moment.

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
Why not just start off with a used toy hauler? Seems that's a good middle ground of flexibility and your current requirements.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why not just start off with a used toy hauler? Seems that's a good middle ground of flexibility and your current requirements.

We’re not really ready for that just yet. Trying to find a way to enjoy our years before having kids but stay in our current living situation. I live on a .3 acre water front lake house with 2 parking spots and no garage. Every piece of land in Central NH has been bought up by out of staters and houses that go on the market, go under contract within 48 hours. This was the year we were going to buy a larger place but we can’t at the moment due to the very low inventory.

So, we want to take advantage of both of us being able to work remote for 2021 since our offices are closed and hit the road.

Eventually, a toy hauler would be what we get but not until I have a place to store it and we’re keeping our cash position healthy at the moment just in case a house does come up, we can bite the bullet and make an offer. I’ve actually been downsizing and selling off a bunch of stuff I don’t need already so we can get a small place with a barn / garage that’s larger than the house we occupy for all of our toys and a truck that for now, can haul our bikes and one day a trailer seems to be the ticket.

Sorry for the long winded response, it’s a good question and point.

the good news is, this house I paid $95K for and renovated myself 6 years ago is now appraised for $320. Thanks to the pandemic, I guess? We have talked seriously about selling and doing remote RV camping for a bit but my bride to be really needs that stability of a home base.

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
I totally get it. It's a solid position. Sounds like you have your logic laid out. Just remember it's a long-game and to have some fun (risk) in there while you can 😃. It's amazing how risk averse you become the moment you see your eyes looking back at ya. IMO, like Mr. Miller once said, take the money and run 😁

Users who are viewing this thread