5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has Anyone Try 2019 RAM Retrofit Headlights?

blownout1500

Reaction score
Quick update after using for a week or so: these thinks are SUPER BRIGHT. Plenty of high beam flashes from folks who think my high beams are on.

Rich

Reaction score
Ok, I installed the HeadlightRevolution Supernova v4 low beam (w pwm) and high beam, as well as the backup light bulbs. I had previously replaced the bed lights w/ leds off Amazon.

Installation notes:
- Note that the low beams are the outer lights, and are therefore more difficult to get in there. The two have different sized locking pins so you shouldn’t mix them up.
- Despite the HeadlightRevolution website video claiming you can install them by just removing the airbox or the ground wires (depending on the side), I found on both sides removal/bending back of the front portion of the wheelwell covers was also required to get my hand in there from below/behind, get a good grip on things, and get the job done right. Even then it was a squeeze at times. The push fasteners are TIGHT so get a proper puller tool for them. Or be ready to buy new ones like I need to now.
- I had to use the included allan wrench to adjust / rotate the led bulbs all four times to opimize the beam pattern.
- I had to work through positive vs negative on a couple connections because they weren’t labeled consistently and appear to plug in either way. Lights work so must have gotten it right, or the regulators make it not matter.
- Stuffing the regulator, then pwm box (low beam only), then bulb last in sequence worked to fit everything inside the stock dust cover without anything laying on the cooling fins.
- The bulb fans are inaudible when the engine is running.
- UPDATE: Lights tested, absolutely love them. So so much brighter than the stock headlights (which weren’t horrible, just kind of brown). Certainly a pure white vice warm, but not blue either - good and neutral. Recommended upgrade, and glad I spent the money to do both.

Regarding the HeadlightRevolution backup lights... I don’t recommend them for the price. $79 for the pair, and though install was simple and they are nice and bright, the “universal” grommet just doesn’t fit very snugly, and I’m worried water and dirt is going to get in the tail light. It will also rotate freely (does not lock in), so will likely cast a weird beam pattern after vibrating around a while. I would look for cheaper replacements if I could do it over again.

I saw your review on their website today. I'm glad you mentioned the problem with the grommet. I would be upset about that!

As to the stuff being crammed inside of the headlight assembly, I'd be very worried that after a couple of years that the headlamp assembly would wear from the inside out from vibration and rubbing. I'm very surprised they suggested to cram things inside. I should say that I haven't seen this myself, but I tend to keep things for a long time and I'd hate to have to replace a headlamp assembly because of something like an aftermarket part damaging the OEM parts over time. What do you think about this perceived issue?

Also, how does the DRL feature work with these Supernova v.4?

Last edited:

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I saw your review on their website today. I'm glad you mentioned the problem with the grommet. I would be upset about that!

As to the stuff being crammed inside of the headlight assembly, I'd be very worried that after a couple of years that the headlamp assembly would wear from the inside out from vibration and rubbing. I'm very surprised they suggested to cram things inside. I should say that I haven't seen this myself, but I tend to keep things for a long time and I'd hate to have to replace a headlamp assembly because of something like and aftermarket part damaging the OEM parts over time. What do you think about this perceived issue?

Time will tell regarding most of your questions... I think the headlights will be alright for a while though, tucked in pretty secure with the dust caps on. They aren’t touching any of the reflective material, they are in a separate chamber of the housing. DRLs work same.

Side note these are almost too bright for city driving, they need to be adjusted downward to prevent blinding other drivers.

Rich

Reaction score
Time will tell regarding most of your questions... I think the headlights will be alright for a while though, tucked in pretty secure with the dust caps on. They aren’t touching any of the reflective material, they are in a separate chamber of the housing. DRLs work same.

Side note these are almost too bright for city driving, they need to be adjusted downward to prevent blinding other drivers.

Do the DRL run a bit dim like the OEM halogen that dim in DRL mode, it do they run full brightness?

Thanks!

Last edited:

blownout1500

Reaction score

My sense is that the wiring is crammed tight enough to eliminate the bouncing that would cause any future issues.

Re. aiming is there a way to do this?

JDiMassa8

Reaction score

As to the stuff being crammed inside of the headlight assembly, I'd be very worried that after a couple of years that the headlamp assembly would wear from the inside out from vibration and rubbing. I'm very surprised they suggested to cram things inside. I should say that I haven't seen this myself, but I tend to keep things for a long time and I'd hate to have to replace a headlamp assembly because of something like and aftermarket part damaging the OEM parts over time. What do you think about this perceived issue?

I cut a hole on the cover and put my own grommet so that everything can be outside the assembly. I was also worried about having it inside the assembly which is why I did it like I did. More time to do it but worth it

Rich

Reaction score
I cut a hole on the cover and put my own grommet so that everything can be outside the assembly. I was also worried about having it inside the assembly which is why I did it like I did. More time to do it but worth it

Thanks for the idea. Did you tie or mount the parts

This makes sense.

Do you have any pictures of how you did it or mounting the components?

Rich

Reaction score
Regarding the HeadlightRevolution backup lights... I don’t recommend them for the price. $79 for the pair, and though install was simple and they are nice and bright, the “universal” grommet just doesn’t fit very snugly, and I’m worried water and dirt is going to get in the tail light. It will also rotate freely (does not lock in), so will likely cast a weird beam pattern after vibrating around a while. I would look for cheaper replacements if I could do it over again.

Regarding this backup gromet, does anyone have one that fits better?

Perhaps it was a tolerance issue?

Did you contact the company about it and did! they offer any help?

Your points seem like valid concerns!

I also see that their website says they overdrive the reverse LED and warn that extended use could cause overheating and failure.

I know we don't tend to be in reverse for extended periods of time, but why not have built in overheating protection and not worry about it? Instead, we have to worry about their product failing, yet they don't suggest a maximum period of time.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I wish manufacturers would stop using crap halogen bulbs for good. I'm sure we can all agree that this is a safety issue, and LEDs prob cost just a few dollars more to them since they buy tens of thousands of them. Same for the rest of the bulbs in the truck.

JDiMassa8

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. Did you tie or mount the parts

This makes sense.

Do you have any pictures of how you did it or mounting the components?
Honestly didn’t even think about taking pictures. I should have. I used some double sided 3m tape to hold the ballast on to soMe flat surface(I don’t rememeber what I mounted it to). Then the canbus box thing I ziptied to soemthing because the tape wouldn’t work for some reason. I did this a while ago and unfortunately I dont remember all of it

JDiMassa8

Reaction score
Regarding this backup gromet, does anyone have on that fits better?

Perhaps it was a tolerance issue?

Did you contact the company about it and did! they offer any help?

Your points seem like valid concerns!

I also see that their website says they overdrive the reverse LED and warn that extended use could cause overheating and failure.

I know we don't tend to be in reverse for extended periods of time, but why not have built in overheating protection and not worry about it? Instead, we have to worry about their product failing, yet they don't suggest a maximum period of time.
I do agree that the way these fit in is kinda weird but I do like them still. Lights up the backup camera very well at night. It takes a second for the backup to adjust to the brightness. I have not had any problems with beam pattern or any condensation in the lenses. I’ve had these on ever since I installed the headlights which was a good while ago

kingkasc

Reaction score
Hey guys, I keep hearing these supernova are super bright (lol) do you recommend any other brands that are not blinding to oncoming traffic? Trying to avoid getting pulled over all the time here in Detroit. Thanks!

EJanx07

Reaction score
I was talking to one of the guys and they havnt sold any yet to people. They said they are working on pricing them out because they are still trying to get a deal with their wholesale for the headlights. Both the reflector style and the LED style. They are also in the process of making a wiring harness adaptor for plug and play for the option led headlights from factory. But for the time being I bought some led bulbs that are extraordinarily bright
Any updates on these LED’s coming out?
Thank you,

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread