5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone tried one of these locking gas caps?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did a quick search but didn't find anything about this. Just wondering if anyone has tried one. Someone on another forum posted about a locking gas cap for 2019 and 2020 gasoline powered Ram 1500's. First one I've seen. Maybe it's old news, but I'm thinking about trying it.

K9cop

Reaction score
It's odd that their description isn't even accurate. They say the 2020 Ram 1500 deleted the gas cap when it's actually the 2019 when it started as far as I know. For $60 I'd pass.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I noticed that. But they have it right in the title...
FUEL FILLER LOCKING DUSTCAP - GAS ENGINES ONLY ('19-'20, RAM 1500)

I'm not as concerned about it locking as just having a dust cap. I probably wouldn't even lock it to be honest. $60 is kind of steep for a test, but it's worth it to me if it works. I'm more concerned at the complete lack of reviews for the thing. I think I'll hold off for now. Thanks for replying.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$11.35 sounds like a better price to me for a dust cap (y). I don't know the exact design of the capless fuel filler system but I would hope it has some sort of seal to prevent dust from getting in.
Millions of vehicles on the road with capless tanks. Nothing to fret over. I've had cars and trucks with capless tanks since 2008.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is a seal on the gas door, which is supposed to keep dust out. But I'm not sure how tight that seal is. There is also an inner flap inside the fuel tube, besides the one you can see. My concern is contaminants getting on the filler flap, then it's pushed into the tank by the fuel nozzle. I always look closely at the filler flap before inserting the nozzle, so it's not likely to be a problem. Maybe I'm just more concerned than I need to be about this.

if just a dust cap - something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Round-Black-Flexible-Rubber/dp/B075WWNM8Y

might not be a bad thing for a sand dune day

View attachment 60032
I'm not sure there is enough of a lip for something like this, but it's definitely worth looking at.

U

User_3336

at $60 I'll pass. The Ford F150's did come out with a little "plug" with a lock on it, on their capless fuel necks.
Cool idea, and it was relatively inexpensive. ~ $15.

plug.jpg

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a seal on the gas door, which is supposed to keep dust out. But I'm not sure how tight that seal is.
I never gave it much thought until I went through a car wash and when I pulled out it I noticed that the brushes pushed hard enough against the gas door to pop it open. Got out and looked and it was pretty wet inside the door and on the rubber bib around the filler neck.

There's no threading on the filler neck (inside or out) so unless it is an external locking piece that goes around the neck (below the lip) the Amazon cap would be a good bet. I might give it a try, especially for that price. If you're worried about venting you can drill some small holes in one of the caps to try it out.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$11.35 sounds like a better price to me for a dust cap (y). I don't know the exact design of the capless fuel filler system but I would hope it has some sort of seal to prevent dust from getting in.

That's for 8 pieces! (of course measure the diameter, I just picked one).. or you could prob buy a single at a hardware store

Millions of vehicles on the road with capless tanks. Nothing to fret over. I've had cars and trucks with capless tanks since 2008.

Unless you're out mudding/sand dune running, it's a nice piece of mind item, but agreed, likely not needed for daily use

There is a seal on the gas door, which is supposed to keep dust out. But I'm not sure how tight that seal is. There is also an inner flap inside the fuel tube, besides the one you can see. My concern is contaminants getting on the filler flap, then it's pushed into the tank by the fuel nozzle. I always look closely at the filler flap before inserting the nozzle, so it's not likely to be a problem. Maybe I'm just more concerned than I need to be about this.
I'm not sure there is enough of a lip for something like this, but it's definitely worth looking at.

If the diameter is close, it'll just be a snug fit, no need for a lip - in fact, a little tether might make it easy to pull / restrain when filling up

Any idea how the tank vents? Wondering if this sort of dust cap will cause issues?

I don't think a rubber cap would be sealed well enough to be an issue - plus the filler neck has 2 flaps (alternating directions in fact) to keep the opening sealed

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
Did a quick search but didn't find anything about this. Just wondering if anyone has tried one. Someone on another forum posted about a locking gas cap for 2019 and 2020 gasoline powered Ram 1500's. First one I've seen. Maybe it's old news, but I'm thinking about trying it.

You should buy it and check it out! 60$ isn’t bad and if it doesn’t work can’t you return it?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That key looks like it could be annoying at fill up time. Looks more like a wrench actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That key looks like it could be annoying at fill up time. Looks more like a wrench actually.

Hard to tell from the pic, but I was thinking it looks more like a cam style key than a wrench. Circular pin which is offset from the center of the circular outer portion. Would be pretty lame if it's just an allen wrench. Hell, the price has already come down from an initial $75 to $60. I'll keep an eye on it and see if they lower it some more.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pic, but I was thinking it looks more like a cam style key than a wrench. Circular pin which is offset from the center of the circular outer portion. Would be pretty lame if it's just an allen wrench. Hell, the price has already come down from an initial $75 to $60. I'll keep an eye on it and see if they lower it some more.

Me too. I might snag one if the knock another 20 off

Users who are viewing this thread