5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone pulled the carbon filter from the air box ?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was curious if anyone is pulling the carbon filter out and using a k&n will net any gain? Saw a video of a guy with a Subaru cross trek that pulled the carbon and net 4 hp on dyno using a stock filter, and even more gains when using a k&n without the carbon.

Was curious if anyone is pulling the carbon filter out and using a k&n will net any gain? Saw a video of a guy with a Subaru cross trek that pulled the carbon and net 4 hp on dyno using a stock filter, and even more gains when using a k&n without the carbon.

I pulled mine using the stock filter and minor improvements in slight mpg gain and slight throttle response.

I did put it on a shop vac to redneck test air flow and was surprised at the resistance. Then put the air filter over that. It would seem the truck would have a severe case of asthma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pulled mine using the stock filter and minor improvements in slight mpg gain and slight throttle response.

I did put it on a shop vac to redneck test air flow and was surprised at the resistance. Then put the air filter over that. It would seem the truck would have a severe case of asthma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting results..might have to give it a try

I pulled mine I guess just to do it, figured the less unnecessary restriction the better. Still have factory main air filter and not aftermarket. Haven’t noticed any seat-of-the-pants difference which I figured I wouldn’t. I have always modified every pickup I have owned over the years and that has been a lot. CAI’s, full exhaust, tuners, lift or level’s, on and on. I even did this to a ‘06 F-150 5.4l. Not to step on any toes cause obviously I love to spend money on mods but I am playing it conservatively with my new Ram, must be my older age now! I thought long and hard about a Pulsar and CAI, but after researching, particularly on this forum(y), I decided just to get the RC speedo cal for my larger tires and am leaving the factory air intake which IMO is nicely done. This truck is obviously not a race car but has plenty of power to do what I need it too including pulling my trailer so I think I will just leave it! Just my opinions, sorry to get off topic:)

I pulled it, no noticeable gain in sound or power. If you are installing an aftermarket filter my opinion is that you might as well pull it... if you gain a few hp from deleting it and a few more from the new filter it might be worth it, and who doesn't like free mods?

Pulled mine by just taking a utility knife and cut right where the fliter meets the black frame. Four cuts with the knife and it was out. The frame for the filter just stays in place out of the way.

Im doing this next week with a Afe drop in and carbon filter delete

I just cut off the heads of the plastic rivets off with a utility knife and pulled the filter out in 1 piece. Figured I could always glue it back in without it looking like I tampered with it in case I have to for emissions or warranty or whatever down the road.

Threw the carbon filter out the window and didn't have the patience to cut or anything. Broke open the rivets, threw it out the window, dropped in an AEM Dry Flow - best investment ever and totally worth it. Trust me your truck would thank you for this. I'm surprised they added this charcoal crap this time around like it's some kind of Subaru. It's a V8 do we really care about emissions !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back