5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has Anyone fit a Queen size mattress in the Bed?

Shuga

Reaction score
Has anyone fit a Queen Size mattress in the bed of the Ram? Trying to see if anyone has done it before?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've done a king, just angle it in and have the tail gate out and strap it down. I've even done a pool table. This is also considering my truck has a short bed and the first 2 feet are taken up by a bed tool box.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep angle it and strap it down and you’ll be fine.

Edit: unless your talking about putting it down in the bed to sleep when you camp or do the whole overlanding thing then nvm I got nothing.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep angle it and strap it down and you’ll be fine.

Edit: unless your talking bout putting in down in the bed to sleep when you camp or do the whole overlanding thing then nvm I got nothing.

Good point, he could be asking about literally a mattress to sleep in.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im sure they have mattress that fit nowadays with how big the whole over-landing, truck camping scene has gotten if thats the route your going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
A queen size bed is 80x60 inches
This is the size of a 5'7 bed for a 1500
1671762016424.png

It would probably get stuck on the tire humps, and you would need to put your tailgate down, maybe use a bed extender.
So i'm going to say no, it doesn't fit.

Now obviously you can carry almost anything in almost any size bed, just put it on it's side, strap it down, etc.

If you are trying to sleep on it just get full size air mattress and just blow it up when you go to use it. There's more then enough power for an air compressor to fill it up.
A full is 53x75 for reference.

They also make funky looking air ones that go in the back of the cab and basically fill the gap in front of the seat, and go over it. I don't think I would have enough space to sleep in back though without shrinking my legs

Jamesalan98

Reaction score
It might be do-able if you have a 6’4 bed, but you have the tailgate down and strap the bed well, I would probably angle it so it can fit, width wise.

397STROKER

Reaction score
The wheel wells are only around 50" between them as there is not much more room that the 4 ft (48') wide plywood I have laid flat in mine and I have the 6.4 bed. Not sure about the distance between the bed rails.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why not just make a platform/frame to raise it to the top of the wheel wells? Basically making a box spring for it. Then you can store your cloths, packs or other gear under the mattress, so it's not even wasted space.

Based on the dimensions given above, the only issue would then be the length. With a regular bed (not that useless short one I had on my last Ram) you can fit a full sheet of plywood with the tailgate down and have a few inches to spare, so the mattress would easily fit. That means with the tailgate down you could probably even fit the mattress in the short bed too.
With either bed you'd have to have the tailgate down, so you'd have to use (or make) a bed extender of some sort to close in the end. Unless those hotel mattresses are actually shorter. Then you may be able to get it in the regular bed with the tailgate closed (76" is only 4" short of fitting the non-hotel queen dimensions above).

But the short answer is yes, you could put a queen mattress in the bed of your truck to sleep in. It'll just take a little creativity.

Oldphart

Reaction score
Check on an RV supply site such as Camping World. My first Motorhome had an "RC Queen" bed. It was substantially smaller in both length and width.

Shuga

Reaction score
I meant to deliver it guys lol. Not to sleep in haha. I have the 5’7 bed. I think it’ll fit? Can I drive with the tailgate down or will that damage the tailgate? How would I strap it down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I meant to deliver it guys lol. Not to sleep in haha. I have the 5’7 bed. I think it’ll fit? Can I drive with the tailgate down or will that damage the tailgate? How would I strap it down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem at all.
You can also rest it on the tailgate closed, mattresses are rather sturdy especially if it's a foam mattress.

On a spring mattress I would recommend opening the tailgate and letting it sit on one of the tire humps.
The tailgate is designed to be able to hold a lot of weight, way more then any mattress would have.

You can use ratcheting straps like you would for anything else. Just make sure it doesn't pull out if you give it a yank.

You're really over thinking it, pickups are great for just throwing anything in any way and strapping it down.
You got this.

Shuga

Reaction score
No problem at all.
You can also rest it on the tailgate closed, mattresses are rather sturdy especially if it's a foam mattress.

On a spring mattress I would recommend opening the tailgate and letting it sit on one of the tire humps.
The tailgate is designed to be able to hold a lot of weight, way more then any mattress would have.

You can use ratcheting straps like you would for anything else. Just make sure it doesn't pull out if you give it a yank.

You're really over thinking it, pickups are great for just throwing anything in any way and strapping it down.
You got this.

Thank you for the vote of confidence lol. It's a sleep number bed I think. Maybe doing it as a favor for a friend. So I just want to make sure I'm prepared

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you for the vote of confidence lol. It's a sleep number bed I think. Maybe doing it as a favor for a friend. So I just want to make sure I'm prepared
Sleep number beds are foam.
You will have no problem. I would probably just let it lay on my tailgate closed.
Theres no springs to break if it bends a bit

Shuga

Reaction score
Sleep number beds are foam.
You will have no problem. I would probably just let it lay on my tailgate closed.
Theres no springs to break if it bends a bit
What do you guys put down to cover the black plastic so it doesn't scrape?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What do you guys put down to cover the black plastic so it doesn't scrape?
You mean a spray in bedliner (course rough plastic)?

Either place it down and don't drag it. Or if you are concerned use towels or a decent thickness tarp.
I prefer towels as they will not rip, just don't use towels you care about.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guessing you mean the tailgate cap. I think that’s what its called (plastic piece on top of tailgate), i put nothing on it but you can just an old towel or something.. its a mattress its not going to damage it and I’m sure the mattress is going to be wrapped in plastic or something.

Don’t overthink this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread