5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone driven the 22” Black Laramie Package tires in snow and ice?

Tilter

Reaction score
The tires are Goodyear Eagle Touring.

I’m trying to decide if I’ll put them on my truck when it arrives for the winter or keep the Bridgestone Duelers that will come with it as mine is a Laramie with the Sport package.

cjmst23

Reaction score
I have the same tire on my Limited. They aren't built for snow, salt, ice or cinders. I went with a set of used rims (limited OEM 20s) and Yokohama ice guard tires to keep my rims fresh and tired lasting longer. Much better handling in ice/snow too... IMG951521.jpg

tjthomps5629

Reaction score
I have 22's on my LongHorn and just got to test out the Goodyears in snow this weekend for the first time. Bottom line, they were horrible. I will be calling tomorrow to get quotes on some kind of AT tire that can handle Wisconsin winters.

LossPrev

Reaction score
I have 22's on my LongHorn and just got to test out the Goodyears in snow this weekend for the first time. Bottom line, they were horrible. I will be calling tomorrow to get quotes on some kind of AT tire that can handle Wisconsin winters.

Have you had OEM Goodyear Wranglers before as I'd be interested to hear how they compare to those? I was able to use those for a few winters before switching to Wildpeak AT3's on my last truck. Just got this Laramie with the 22" Eagles and was really hoping not to make a tire purchase for a while. I'm in Oshkosh btw

tjthomps5629

Reaction score
Have you had OEM Goodyear Wranglers before as I'd be interested to hear how they compare to those? I was able to use those for a few winters before switching to Wildpeak AT3's on my last truck. Just got this Laramie with the 22" Eagles and was really hoping not to make a tire purchase for a while. I'm in Oshkosh btw

For the last two years I ran Goodyear Duratrac's which were awesome in snow. Before that, I had Cooper AT3 and BFG KO2, also great in snow. So maybe I am a little bias, but I was very disappointed with these Eagle Touring tires in the recent dusting of snow. I live in Appleton so not far from you, but we also have a cabin in the Minocqua area. Right now I do not have the comfort level with these stock tires to make that drive in a good snow fall like I did with my Duratracs, coopers, or BFG. My wife has 22's on her SUV with the same 285/45/22 tire size. She had the Bridgestone Dueler HL from the factory which were OK but only lasted about 40k miles, so last year I switched her to Michelin LTX M+S and they are much better in the snow, mileage is yet to be determined.

Tilter

Reaction score
Would you run 22" All Weather/Snow tires on the Black package wheels or would you just get smaller diameter snow/LT tires?

tjthomps5629

Reaction score
Would you run 22" All Weather/Snow tires on the Black package wheels or would you just get smaller diameter snow/LT tires?

That comes down to personal preference. If you are doing dedicated snow tires, I believe it makes more sense to buy a 2nd set of wheels which makes it an easy swap between tires in the fall and spring. My current plan is to just buy a good set of AT tires and run them year round since I will need them in the warm months when pulling into job sites on wet days.

Tilter

Reaction score
Both of those make sense. I usually buy a second set of rims and dedicated snow tires for my cars or suvs. The truck is going to come with 20" Sport Wheels and Bridgestone Duelers and I purchased a set of Black package wheels with the Eagles. I hate to put the snows on the 20" Sport wheels because then I am just adding to the price, so it's either run the 20's with the Duelers or sell the Sport Wheels with the Duelers and buy a good set of year round tires for the 22 " Blacks.

Or I could sell the 20" Sport Wheels WITH the Duelers, then buy a set of 20" wheels WITHOUT tires and put my choice of snow tires on those. That's my favorite choice but the most time consuming.

Users who are viewing this thread