5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anybody NOT gotten an extended warranty on your 2019s

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
... And how are you faring so far after your factory warranty expiration? Any expensive repairs, regrets, etc.

Asking b/c I went back and forth on whether to purchase one, in the end I decided against it, could not fathom the thought of spending over $1500 on a warranty that won’t even kick in for two more years..(2019 Big Horn with 15,000 miles currently.) I have better areas to invest that money in today as well as I’m a bit worried about job security and trying to conserve as much cash as possible these days.

Just curious to see how these trucks are holding up past factory warranty as that will be a consideration for me as I approach 3/36.

Thx and Happy New Year y’all

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did not get any extended warranty on my 2019 Lmtd. But I'm still under B2B..27,000 miles right now. Truck has been absolutely flawless since buying it in Feb 2020 with 19,000 miles. Only prob I've had was a bad windshield gasket, but it had a replacement windshield on it when I bought. So can't blame factory for that. Good luck!

Cudapower

Reaction score
My opinion is they are a waste of money. Especially on original purchase. You have 30,000 miles to work the bugs out and then they still besiege you with last chance offers to buy one at 30.000. So why waste you money at the dealer. I dont believe in them. I think of my life of cars and I cant think of one time that I would have been ahead fooling with a purchased warranty. Yes I have some break downs but 1500 dollars in the bank would more than pay for any of them. As for my 2019 Ram --- It has 34,000 miles on it and it has been just perfect. I have had to get absolutely nothing fixed or replaced and It pulls 5 to 8000 lb trailers 80 percent of the time.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I have not had any issues with my truck and am anticipating no flaws. It’s more of the “piece of mind” because they’re so expensive. Everything now is a giant computer, do not want to do much anymore myself. Just getting specific on where my money goes.

plus for work I drive a lot and will need to keep it at least four or five years.

RobbieDigital

Reaction score
I just bought a 8yr 125k mile middle tier plan yesterday for my 2019 21k mile truck. It was $1600. It covers engine, tranny, 4x4, suspension, brakes, electrical, steering and more.
My last vehicle was a Ford edge and around 100k miles the front and rear differentials went up and the power steering components all failed right at same time. Was about $3200 repair. If something like that happens on my RAM I’ll be covered and the plan will have paid for itself

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My opinion is they are a waste of money. Especially on original purchase. You have 30,000 miles to work the bugs out and then they still besiege you with last chance offers to buy one at 30.000. So why waste you money at the dealer. I dont believe in them. I think of my life of cars and I cant think of one time that I would have been ahead fooling with a purchased warranty. Yes I have some break downs but 1500 dollars in the bank would more than pay for any of them. As for my 2019 Ram --- It has 34,000 miles on it and it has been just perfect. I have had to get absolutely nothing fixed or replaced and It pulls 5 to 8000 lb trailers 80 percent of the time.
Well in my case, if I were to keep it for longer than three years, I would not go without an extended warranty. For my truck, I am looking at around $745 for an additional three years with the Max Care warranty (60k miles).

That’s less than the price of a tail light with blind spot monitoring, which run in the $800s.

Your money and your decision. For me it is piece of mind. As many electronics as these trucks have, I’d hate having to shell out > 4 grand for a new radio module or > 1 grand for a LED headlight, DASM module, or any other high-tech system.

Cheers,

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

It’s not that I am *against * extended warranties. I do see the value if they’re gotten for cheap and it could be a possibility for me.

The problem I have is purchasing one when I still have time and mileage left under the basic factory warranty. To me, any money used for something that won’t take effect for a couple more years is wasted money, in that I can invest that money TODAY and have it multiply. Instead of it just being spent while yielding me zero value (that’s money thrown away.)

That is why I will wait until I get to 3/36 to even make a decision... fully understanding I would be paying close to $700 more for the same ext warranty (since I chose to wait.) But I will most likely have greatly multiplied that initial cost by investing it today. Probably WAY more than the $700 extra it would cost me.

It just makes no sense to me to buy one early on when the factory warranty still applies, and to me reeks of dealer/manufacturer instant profit while fleecing us. That money is so much better off being invested and multiplied with compound interest, probably yielding an amount WELL higher than what the extended warranty would cost by waiting until the 3/36 expires. JMHO. It seems like they’re so eager for us to split with our money right from the date of the truck purchase.

In any case.. the purpose of this thread was to see if any of y’all who never bought one had any major problems after the factory warranty expired. As I understand it, extended warranties exist to benefit the manufacturer, NOT the buyer. (Otherwise they wouldn’t sell ‘em!)

I was also told that there were plenty of conditions that had to be met for even a MaxCare warranty to pay out. It is not like the factory B2B warranty... for example, an LED headlight. (I Asked this specific question.) The LED headlight would have to have been PROVEN to be faulty, in order for the MaxCare warranty to pay for it. If it just burns out after it’s life expectancy expires... too bad, it doesn’t pay out. Same with the taillights... same for everything covered under that warranty. It has to be proven to have failed by some fault. Under the factory B2B you just bring it in and it’s covered. That right there was a major turn off for me.

Last edited:

Skater

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

It’s not that I am *against * extended warranties. I do see the value if they’re gotten for cheap and it could be a possibility for me.

The problem I have is purchasing one when I still have time and mileage left under the basic factory warranty. To me, any money used for something that won’t take effect for a couple more years is wasted money, in that I can invest that money TODAY and have it multiply. Instead of it just being spent while yielding me zero value (that’s money thrown away.)

That is why I will wait until I get to 3/36 to even make a decision... fully understanding I would be paying close to $700 more for the same ext warranty (since I chose to wait.) But I will most likely have greatly multiplied that initial cost by investing it today. Probably WAY more than the $700 extra it would cost me.

It just makes no sense to me to buy one early on when the factory warranty still applies, and to me reeks of dealer/manufacturer instant profit while fleecing us. That money is so much better off being invested and multiplied with compound interest, probably yielding an amount WELL higher than what the extended warranty would cost by waiting until the 3/36 expires. JMHO. It seems like they’re so eager for us to split with our money right from the date of the truck purchase.

In any case.. the purpose of this thread was to see if any of y’all who never bought one had any major problems after the factory warranty expired. As I understand it, extended warranties exist to benefit the manufacturer, NOT the buyer. (Otherwise they wouldn’t sell ‘em!)

I was also told that there were plenty of conditions that had to be met for even a MaxCare warranty to pay out. It is not like the factory B2B warranty... for example, an LED headlight. (I Asked this specific question.) The LED headlight would have to have been PROVEN to be faulty, in order for the MaxCare warranty to pay for it. If it just burns out after it’s life expectancy expires... too bad, it doesn’t pay out. Same with the taillights... same for everything covered under that warranty. It has to be proven to have failed by some fault. Under the factory B2B you just bring it in and it’s covered. That right there was a major turn off for me.
I agree with Neurobit. I usually keep my daily drivers between four and five years. I typically put about 125K miles on them in that time, which is well beyond the factory warranty coverage period and milage. In my last MBZ, at about 65K miles, I needed a new radio module. When I purchased the extended warranty, I did not know the module itself cost $5,300 and the fiber optic cable harness from the radio to the trunk module and components cost $1,500. Had I not purchased the extended warranty, I would have incurred those costs, plus labor totaling about $8,800 for the entire repair. For me, the extended warranty was a windfall costing a paltry $1,650 for six years and 100K miles.

If you are going to keep your vehicle, Ram or otherwise, longer than the factory warranty it is simply piece of mind and sometimes a deep discount on future repairs paid up front instead of full price at the time of service.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I thought buying the warranty for after 3 yr 36k is more expensive than buying the warranty when its brand new partially due to inflation.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought buying the warranty for after 3 yr 36k is more expensive than buying the warranty when its brand new partially due to inflation.

If you wait until AFTER the 3/36 expires yes it goes up considerably, at least $1000 or more.
If you buy it just BEFORE the 3/36 expires it’s $600-700 more than buying it before the vehicle hits 12000 miles.

The $1500 or so it costs for a Zeigler warranty with $100 deductible today... think of how much $$$ that would yield you if you invested it for the next two or three years while you’re still under the factory warranty, instead of sinking it into a warranty you won’t even used for that time.

Always Have your money making you money!

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
As much as we all think we make money off our money sometimes the return on investment is not nearly what we anticipated or we just let it sit around too long to be worth investing

Reaction score
... And how are you faring so far after your factory warranty expiration? Any expensive repairs, regrets, etc.

Asking b/c I went back and forth on whether to purchase one, in the end I decided against it, could not fathom the thought of spending over $1500 on a warranty that won’t even kick in for two more years..(2019 Big Horn with 15,000 miles currently.) I have better areas to invest that money in today as well as I’m a bit worried about job security and trying to conserve as much cash as possible these days.

Just curious to see how these trucks are holding up past factory warranty as that will be a consideration for me as I approach 3/36.

Thx and Happy New Year y’all
I just bought a 2021 New Limited Longhorn.The extended warranty was 1300$. It added an extra 5 or 6 dollars to my monthly payment. And my vehicle is fully covered to 100k miles. I feel like it was a good investment. I bought an extended warranty for my wife's 2016 Tahoe LTZ. 2 years ago, the AC went out. We tried a number of cheap fixes with no luck. Took it to a shop, got quoted a 3k fix, called in on my extended warranty and paid a 400$ deductible. Before that. There was a leak in the roof coming from the shark antenna. Dealer wanted 900$ to fix. Called the extended warranty company, paid 150$ deductible and it was fixed. I keep my vehicles for a long time. And I personally feel like extended warranties are worth the investment. If you flip your vehicle every 4 years. Then maybe not.

Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 New Limited Longhorn.The extended warranty was 1300$. It added an extra 5 or 6 dollars to my monthly payment. And my vehicle is fully covered to 100k miles. I feel like it was a good investment. I bought an extended warranty for my wife's 2016 Tahoe LTZ. 2 years ago, the AC went out. We tried a number of cheap fixes with no luck. Took it to a shop, got quoted a 3k fix, called in on my extended warranty and paid a 400$ deductible. Before that. There was a leak in the roof coming from the shark antenna. Dealer wanted 900$ to fix. Called the extended warranty company, paid 150$ deductible and it was fixed. I keep my vehicles for a long time. And I personally feel like extended warranties are worth the investment. If you flip your vehicle every 4 years. Then maybe not.
Its important to note, when I was making my deal, and after the final price was before TTL was agreed, I added that I would be buying an extended warranty. And because of this, I needed a little bit more tacked off from said agreed price. Dealer took off an extra 250$. It doesn't sound like much...but think of an interest rate applied to 250$. That makes a difference, at least to me. When buying the extended warranty, my interest rate honestly dropped 1 full percent. Which was a surprisingly added plus. So instead of 4.4%, im now at 3.3%. Which is still high for me. I financed through the dealership. In three months, im taking my loan to the local HoustonTexasFireFightersCreditUnion where I've always gotten a 2.9% or lower rate. Buying an extended warranty can leverage a lower rate. Dont be afraid to walk out.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I didn't, mainly because the powertrain warranty is 5 year / 60 k, and usually is the most expensive potential repairs are covered under this. I tend to only keep vehicles for 3-4 years before I get bored and want something else, so it didn't make sense for me to get an extended warranty.

If I intended to keep the truck for longer, say 7-10 years, I would have likely gotten one. Just a note, we recently purchased a new Toyota C-HR for a family member, they originally tried to offer us a 7 year 70K bumper to bumper extension for $2,400. However, they always try again during the finance phase of the sale and they sweeten the offer to 10 year / 100K bumper to bumper (with no deductable) for only $1,700. It was too sweet to pass that offer up.

Users who are viewing this thread