5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harmon Kardon Sound

Draker

Reaction score
Any recommendations for Harmon Kardon settings on the 2020 Ram? Been struggling trying to get the best sound and am generally using Sirius.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any recommendations for Harmon Kardon settings on the 2020 Ram? Been struggling trying to get the best sound and am generally using Sirius.

I moved the bass on the equalizer to 7 and put the fader to favor the rear of the vehicle by about a 1/3rd I get a nice surround sound effect. Also make sure surround sound is turned on. The quality of your music source also will impact how it sounds. Crappy iTunes files sound not as good as other sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffauclair

Reaction score
I have the bass at +2 Middle at +4 and Trebble at +6. Sounds perfect to me! Might be a disaster for others as music sound is not the same for anyone.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think @ExcursionDiesel did a sound test a year ago...ideal settings were something like -6, -2, +2 (I could be off a bit). This is for early H/K systems with the amp update (TSB) applied...later ones may already have the update.

This is the first system I’ve owned where significantly dropping the bass is a good idea. I think I have mine turned “up” to -5 or -4, lol.

WW2

Reaction score
SXM sound quality sucks !!!! Whats wild is how different the stations are EQed....Watercolors sounds pretty good with significantly less compression and good low end..Some other stations sound like they are under water.... SXM is just not a very good product in my opinion...

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sound is one of the most subjective things you could debate on a truck forum, other than oil. I personally have it at bass +9, mid +6, treb +4. I hate the "tinny" sounding treble, especially from front speakers, and I don't mind "boomy" bass at all. Yeah the OEM sub run at too high of a frequency, but I will supplement with a good single 8 or 10 sub eventually to hit the lower frequencies. I also fade it 1 to the rear. I replaced the dash speakers with Kickers as well. Eventually the entire thing will be Kicker plus a Kicker comp sub and OEM sub.

STR

Reaction score
Satellite radio is not uniformed, and can sound tinny on some channels. It’s hard to give a recommendation, and it also depends on the genre. Personally, I try to adjust the rudimentary EQ to where I’m satisfied w/the mids and treble, then add bass as desired. Unfortunately there is not one universal sound formula, particularly for SXM.

Nibis

Reaction score
The quality of Satellite is not very good in these trucks for some reason, it was better in my Jeep

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Satellite quality sucks in every vehicle. Want SXM to sound good? Use the app on your phone.

Factory HK system is a boomy bass mess. Easiest fix? Unplug the factory sub. It barely adds anything and generally just sounds like crap. After that, turn bass to about +5. The door 6x9s are surprisingly capable. Don’t even need the factory sub.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, satellite quality sucks in every vehicle, but some are definitely worse than others. Same with the different stations.

Asking people for sound system settings is like asking someone to season your food for you. Too many variables involved, besides the fact that people have different opinions on what sounds good to them. I change my settings almost as often as I change the channel. My settings for country music are very different than my settings for classic rock. And both of those are very different from my settings for listening to a ballgame, or talk radio.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Satellite quality sucks in every vehicle. Want SXM to sound good? Use the app on your phone.

Factory HK system is a boomy bass mess. Easiest fix? Unplug the factory sub. It barely adds anything and generally just sounds like crap. After that, turn bass to about +5. The door 6x9s are surprisingly capable. Don’t even need the factory sub.
I think ill try unplugging the sub and see what it sounds like. Too boomy even at -4 (or -6, cant remember)

Users who are viewing this thread