5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harmon karden stereo upgrade

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why can’t ram and Harmon karden fix the issue in which the surround sound only works with Bluetooth, apple CarPlay and fm stereo. When I am on Sirius xm which is 99 percent of the time the amp and sub woofer do not work. I know this is with all products because my wife’s 2020 Durango rt also does the same. They have no answers for me

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know surround sound doesn't work with the Alpine system on Sirius XM, but my sub and amp work just fine. And my ex-wife's 300 has the Harmon and it works fine minus surround sound.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
My truck's stereo is either on Sirius or connected with a plugged in media player the amp and sub have worked since day one.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I guess I got to get them to the dealer to see what’s up. Both vehicles fm and my phone sound crazy and Sirius is very week

Nick57

Reaction score
Works just fine in all the modes in mine

STR

Reaction score
2020 Rebel. Works fine w/all inputs (y)

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So my stereo works with Sirius. Just not the surround sound. What’s up with that

vincentw56

Reaction score
So my stereo works with Sirius. Just not the surround sound. What’s up with that
Surround sound doesn't work with SiriusXM. I don't know why.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I’m wondering. Why can’t it be fixed. Super low compared to car play

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since it's all digital signal, does surround sound require too much bandwidth to be transmitted by satellite?

I'm grasping at straws here. I'm not that knowledgable about audio..

What happens if you pair your phone to the truck and stream SiriusXM through your phone?

Last edited:

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I’m not really sure but it’s BS that it doesn’t work

vincentw56

Reaction score
Since it's all digital signal, does surround sound require too much bandwidth to be transmitted by satellite?

I'm grasping at straws here. I'm not that knowledgable about audio..

What happens if you pair your phone to the truck and stream SiriusXM through your phone?
The surround processor is built in the head unit. They could make it work in sure. When I stream it at home, my theater system does it.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The surround processor is built in the head unit. They could make it work in sure. When I stream it at home, my theater system does it.

That's why I asked about streaming, it's a cell or wi-fi signal and not satellite--at least not satellite directly to your phone/streaming device. SiriusXM has so many music channels, it seems like to broadcast all of the in surround sound (assuming it requires more data) would take a pretty big bandwidth.

But again, just guessing.

vincentw56

Reaction score
That's why I asked about streaming, it's a cell or wi-fi signal and not satellite--at least not satellite directly to your phone/streaming device. SiriusXM has so many music channels, it seems like to broadcast all of the in surround sound (assuming it requires more data) would take a pretty big bandwidth.

But again, just guessing.
I'll try it here in a little bit and see. I think it will work.

vincentw56

Reaction score
The answer is yes, if you stream SiriusXM over Bluetooth or Android Auto, you get surround sound.

Users who are viewing this thread