5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harman Kardon vs Alpine vs Beats

Echance01

Reaction score
Listened to the Harman Kardon in a Laramie while test driving (sounded fine but didn’t really test it with sales guy sitting next to me), saw the Alpine system in a Rebel on the showroom and currently have Beats in my Durango. Wondering if anyone has given all 3 a good listen or done a thorough comparison? Would be nice to know before making my truck purchase.

Hutch70

Reaction score
I had a 2014 Charger R/T with the Beats system. I test drove RAMS with the Alpine and HK. and in my opinion the Alpine and Beats are louder but the HK sounds way better (Volume is not that great). I hope we can get an Update to make the volume louder for the HK system.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
Listened to the Harman Kardon in a Laramie while test driving (sounded fine but didn’t really test it with sales guy sitting next to me), saw the Alpine system in a Rebel on the showroom and currently have Beats in my Durango. Wondering if anyone has given all 3 a good listen or done a thorough comparison? Would be nice to know before making my truck purchase.
I've own mutliple Alpines and Beats equipped FCA vehicles and have tried the HKs on multiple occasions.

For me the Alpines always had the best bang for the buck. My wife's 14 Durango (Alpine) clearly was better than my 16 SP Charger (Beats). I've listened to the HK in current year Ram and Durango and felt like it wasn't clearly out performing the Alpine. HK isn't worth the price imo

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
My dad has the HK in his Jeep
I have the Alpine in the Ram
Wifes durango has the Beats.

IMO HK/Beats are better in the bass department.
Alpine isn't that far off though.
Sound quality though, maybe my ears aren't as intune as others but all 3 are fine. Was fine with not spending more for the HK system.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 13 ram with Alpine is nicer than my 19. I feel there is way more roll off at higher volume with HK. Typical these days. The alpine to me is more well rounded and doesn't have the roll off. As in all factory systems they start to roll frequencies down as volume increases to protect speakers from blowing. The alpine doesn't do it at least as obviously as the HK. Ive never felt like the Alpine needed a little something. The HK needs some more low end for sure. The imaging is good in the HK.

Im not going to mod anything as I just have gotten to old. Manufatures though need to get away from 28 speaker systems and get back to basics. I did high end car audio 25 years in cars. I never once installed 28 speakers. I installed nice set of components in the front maybe rear if not component then coaxial and a good sub. With proper amplification and processing always turned out great.

They just are trying to have too many buzz words. I had a Cadillac with Bose speakers on either side of the head rest and those things were awful. They just love to say 158 speaker system. Overall the HK sounds ok but I likes the alpine and hope an update comes for the amp to tune it a little better. I hear the capability but they kick the processing in way too early.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been very happy with my Alpine in my 16'. Best factory sytem I've owned. IMO, better than the HK I heard at the dealer. Never heard the Beats.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have the Alpine in my Limited. Sounds great to my ears.
Granted, I am not an audiophile by any means. Decent base and highs. Good enough for XM or Pandora streaming IMO.

YardSale

Reaction score
I had a Challenger SRT with the HK system and a lot of people thought it was crap.....the common complaint was that it wasn't LOUD ENOUGH!!!! I thought it was an excellent sound system but then I wasn't part of the 'LETS MAKE OUR EARS BLEED" crowd. I've got the Alpine system in my Wrangler and it's good too but then you don't have the sound insulation that a Ram Limited has. Used to sell stereos WAY back in my youth and learned quickly that sound quality is in the ears of the beholder.......VERY subjective.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
If having 1100 watts rms of ear melting power in just the front speaker setup of my Element has taught me anything, it's that most people listening to 2 sources at the same level (actual decibels, not guessing) will think the one with more distortion is louder. Some people will still think so even if the cleaner source is a bit louder.

It's how we're wired. Distortion means loud to our brains, and our ears attenuate to different sources, so they're a crappy estimator of decibels.

IA_Dawg

Reaction score
While my truck was in the shop today to have the bed caps replaced and a dent removed. I drove a basic 2018 Big Horn crew cab with the 6 speaker system. It was way louder than my HK system and the sliding window didn't rattle. :mad:

Echance01

Reaction score
I had a Challenger SRT with the HK system and a lot of people thought it was crap.....the common complaint was that it wasn't LOUD ENOUGH!!!! I thought it was an excellent sound system but then I wasn't part of the 'LETS MAKE OUR EARS BLEED" crowd. I've got the Alpine system in my Wrangler and it's good too but then you don't have the sound insulation that a Ram Limited has. Used to sell stereos WAY back in my youth and learned quickly that sound quality is in the ears of the beholder.......VERY subjective.

Thanks for input and comments. I think this last line sums it up perfectly "sound quality is in the ears of the beholder.......VERY subjective". Picked up 2019 from the dealership today!!! Had the level 2 Equipment Group so im stuck with the HK. For what i use it for. Sounded great on the way home!!

sgk

Reaction score
Don't have much experience with the Beats, approx 15 hours worth in a 300m rental and it would be my least favorite of the bunch. The older truck had the Alpine and it was loud but my challenger has the HK and I find it clear and loud. I believe it goes up to 30 on the volume bar and at 18-22 I find it plenty loud even on highway speeds when my wife starts to sing my favorite songs I may put it to 24. Id like the ram to sound just as good to my ears.

Last edited:

Joekid

Reaction score
Yeah, I have the level 2 group in my Laramie. Some may think the H/K system is clear and refine, but I have the volume bar all the way at 38 a lot of the time and STILL wanting more. 900 watts? I don't think so. Looking to Upgrade, or start from scratch. Hoping someone can give some ideas.

drsubie

Reaction score
I don't have much experience w/ other RAM sound systems other than what is in my Limited w/ the 19 speaker system; sounds 'good enough' for listening to low quality stuff (FM HD radio, satellite radio). Funny, in my old '13 F150 I ended up replacing the OEM upgraded Sony 6x9 with some middle-range Infinity Kappa 6x9 (~$80/pair on Ebay) and experienced much much better sound, even just using the OEM headunit/amp. Which goes to show that the mark up on the OEM sound systems still buys you 'mediocre' quality speakers...

bwmatthews

Reaction score
I have the Alpine system in my 2019 Limited, absolutely love it. I cranked it up once and it was crystal clear. I haven't listened to any other RAM audio systems. I have always been a GM person but decided to try the RAM. Best choice I ever made...next to my wife that is. In case your wondering she is looking over my shoulder.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If having 1100 watts rms of ear melting power in just the front speaker setup of my Element has taught me anything, it's that most people listening to 2 sources at the same level (actual decibels, not guessing) will think the one with more distortion is louder. Some people will still think so even if the cleaner source is a bit louder.
Maybe I attended too many concerts as a kid, but I'm surprised at the suggestions that the H/K system isn't loud enough. I would argue that it's not customizable enough (I want to fine-tune it with a reference microphone...lol). Is it a metal-deforming competition system? Of course not! I had it cranked up to 24 for a favorite song today, and I know my wife won't even get in the truck at that volume. I was impressed that it was hitting hard with minimal distortion, and I have no need for more sound.

For comparison, my home theater is currently an 8.2-channel setup; I have a 130W RMS x 9 amplifier powering 8 satellites (phantom center channel) and an 8" sub (for mid-lows), coupled with a 15" sub on the LFE channel driven by a dedicated 500W RMS amplifier (for ultra-lows). That system will shake the ground outside the house...I don't need that in my truck ;)

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I have the Alpine system in my 2019 Limited, absolutely love it. I cranked it up once and it was crystal clear. I haven't listened to any other RAM audio systems. I have always been a GM person but decided to try the RAM. Best choice I ever made...next to my wife that is. In case your wondering she is looking over my shoulder.
I would second that very happy with the sound loudness and quality. I have gone with the Kicker speaker upgrade in my last Ram. It did make a great difference in the clarity. Maybe in the future right now I’m content. Wow I don’t believe I said that. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread