5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard to find solution to weird noise ( dying whale)

STLPNY

Reaction score
Ok here it goes: Truck is 2019 1500 4x4 North edition Bighorn 5.7 auto trans with stock wheels and tires 26,000 mi. A noise has started occurring on and off for about 2 months it would not do it when the truck was at the dealership in January for a rear window change and software updates. now it does it every day in all temps

Noise Description: Dying whale , fog horn, harmonic hum. noise is about the same tone and volume at any speed and while coasting

When does it occur now: 1) after driving about 2 miles ( it has never occurred immediately when truck has been sitting over night or long periods only after a few miles)
2) it starts at any speed sometimes from a dead stop and other times at any speed
When does it stop : 1) when truck gets down to about 15 mph when coming to a stop it will instantly stop and sometimes it will resume immediately when taking off and sometimes at higher speeds ( simply applying brakes does no change the tone or volume until the truck gets down to about 15 mph)
What testing i have done so far:
1) turn off radio and climate controls---------- No change
2) Remove wheels and inspect brakes--------- Everything is in good shape
3) Open windows to disable ANC--------------No change
4) Unplug ANC module-------------------------No change
5) Race engine rpms in park and neutral------No change
6) Bring truck up to speed and put into neutral coast----No change
7) Power brake----------------------------------Does not create noise
All this diagnosis leads me to believe that the noise is created in the rotating drive system from transmission to the tires with the rotors as my prime suspect .

Is there something else i should be looking for or i am missing or anyone with the same issue that has been resolved. Thanks in advance

Louhound88

Reaction score
So the sound stops at 15mph but resumes right away when you press the throttle to start driving again? And it's the same sound, same volume, and doesn't vary with speed or rpm?

Can you tell if the noise is coming from underneath you or in front of you? I wonder if it could be wind related, maybe failing rad fan. Bad fan bearing or something. Something that isn't connected to drivetrain otherwise it would vary in sound as you change speeds.

Louhound88

Reaction score
More I think on it, bad fan clutch maybe or bearing. I'm not even sure if our trucks have electric fans or clutch fans. Quiets down when no wind forced into it like when driving. Even slow speeds you'll get a lot of wind pushed through front end, could be it's putting the fan in a bind.

STLPNY

Reaction score
So the sound stops at 15mph but resumes right away when you press the throttle to start driving again? And it's the same sound, same volume, and doesn't vary with speed or rpm?

Can you tell if the noise is coming from underneath you or in front of you? I wonder if it could be wind related, maybe failing rad fan. Bad fan bearing or something. Something that isn't connected to drivetrain otherwise it would vary in sound as you change speeds.

STLPNY

Reaction score
Sometimes it starts immediately and other times when i get to around 30mph. the fan is electric and i should have stated that i had unplugged it and put a spring clip on the blade to stop rotation to no avail. sounds like from the floor area. i am going to mount my gopro this weekend to see if it will pick it up the sound

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is it possible this is MDS related?

wsutard1

Reaction score
Question, what does a dying whale sound like?

Follow up question, how do you know what a dying whale sounds like?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have Auto 4WD? If so, is it in that or 2WD mode? If it's under you it seems like it could be driveline or transfer case.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Could be the vibration dampers (Active Tuned Mass Module), getting a bad signal or just defective. Bad fuel pumps can make weird noises too

Ratchet

Reaction score
I'm not saying this is your issue or a fix for your issue, but I did run into something similar. Ended up being a premature u-joint failure at the front of the rear drive shaft. The joint in question wasn't bound up per say, but did have several bad needle bearings within one of the cups that gave just a teeny bit of resistance. At certain speeds (non dependent on loads or road inclination) I would get an odd hum/drone sound. It was around 70hz. The hollow drive shaft amplified the noise. Removed rear shaft, shifted to 4x4 and went for a short test drive. Noise gone. Replaced u joint and has been fine ever since.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe unplug the amp under the seat to see if it’s the noise cancellation

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2 things 2019 has a beak recall"tsb" search break moan, usually the calipers vibrations in reverse, not exactly what you describe but more likely since you looked at..... if the amp/anc is unplugged/ kicked/ passengers with big feet! Under driving seats couple plugs

STLPNY

Reaction score
I'm not saying this is your issue or a fix for your issue, but I did run into something similar. Ended up being a premature u-joint failure at the front of the rear drive shaft. The joint in question wasn't bound up per say, but did have several bad needle bearings within one of the cups that gave just a teeny bit of resistance. At certain speeds (non dependent on loads or road inclination) I would get an odd hum/drone sound. It was around 70hz. The hollow drive shaft amplified the noise. Removed rear shaft, shifted to 4x4 and went for a short test drive. Noise gone. Replaced u joint and has been fine ever since.
I will check that

Users who are viewing this thread