5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard Folding Tonneau and Hail/Snow

Tyedri

Reaction score
Hello!

I know there are a number of posts regarding tonneau covers, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with the LoMax or one of the Undercover Ulraflex/Armorflex covers when it comes to light hail? I live in a region where several hailstorms roll through every summer (Front Range of Colorado), and while I park in the garage at home, I'm not so lucky to have covered parking when I'm at work. Would the black urethane texture on the Lomax be better than the matte black?

I'm pretty torn between those covers above (I've also looked at the Bak Revolver X4; like it's looks and the roll-up flexibility, but seen several reports of it really doing poorly in freezing winter conditions). Any experience or feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
Have a look at the Extang Xceed tonneau cover. It's a solid cover with vinyl covering. I have it and love it.. best tonneau cover I've owned. Haven't experienced hail but it looks like it would fare better than the rest of the truck if it was hailing that bad 😁

broken_vet

Reaction score
I had a Lomax on my 2020, and live South of Colorado Springs. Last May or June, we had a hailstorm that was bad enough to put holes in vinyl fencing, and dings in the gutters on the house. The Lomax didn't have any damage at all.

Tyedri

Reaction score
I had a Lomax on my 2020, and live South of Colorado Springs. Last May or June, we had a hailstorm that was bad enough to put holes in vinyl fencing, and dings in the gutters on the house. The Lomax didn't have any damage at all.
I'm near there too. Is the Lomax you had the matte or the urethane? Also, you said "had" a Lomax, why do you not use it anymore? Thanks!

Tyedri

Reaction score
Have a look at the Extang Xceed tonneau cover. It's a solid cover with vinyl covering. I have it and love it.. best tonneau cover I've owned. Haven't experienced hail but it looks like it would fare better than the rest of the truck if it was hailing that bad 😁
I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Have you looked at the weather tech hard cover? It is made of aluminum, is a tri-fold and can hold up to 400 lbs on it.

I have one and love it.

broken_vet

Reaction score
I'm near there too. Is the Lomax you had the matte or the urethane? Also, you said "had" a Lomax, why do you not use it anymore? Thanks!
It was the matte. I traded the 2020 for a 2021 with Ramboxes, and I didn't go with the Lomax because I need a cover that will give me full access to the bed. If not for that, I would've bought a Lomax for the '21. I know that the Lomax Stance is out now, but I don't want to glue that part onto the roof, and when folded up it covers the camera for the led rearview mirror.

Tyedri

Reaction score
Have you looked at the weather tech hard cover? It is made of aluminum, is a tri-fold and can hold up to 400 lbs on it.

I have one and love it.
Looking at it, it sure looks like a LoMax. Are there differences that can't be seen in photos?

Tyedri

Reaction score
It was the matte. I traded the 2020 for a 2021 with Ramboxes, and I didn't go with the Lomax because I need a cover that will give me full access to the bed. If not for that, I would've bought a Lomax for the '21. I know that the Lomax Stance is out now, but I don't want to glue that part onto the roof, and when folded up it covers the camera for the led rearview mirror.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm very very torn between the Matte Black LoMax or the Undercover Ultra Flex. I've just got to pick one and go for it I guess.

broken_vet

Reaction score
As much as I liked the Lomax, I'd go with the Ultra Flex or the ArmorFlex, because they open all of the way for full access to the bed. I'm going with the MX4 this time because it appears to be the only folding cover that doesn't block that camera when it's folded up.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I have the MX4 and during a light sleet storm here in Virginia every panel was damaged with little dimples all over it. They aren't bad enough to want to replace it, but I see them every time I open the cover. The aluminum is so thin you can push your knuckle with light pressure and make a dent. The frame is very sturdy, but the panel tops are not.

This was my first time purchasing something from BAKflip and will be my last.

broken_vet

Reaction score
I have the MX4 and during a light sleet storm here in Virginia every panel was damaged with little dimples all over it. They aren't bad enough to want to replace it, but I see them every time I open the cover. The aluminum is so thin you can push your knuckle with light pressure and make a dent. The frame is very sturdy, but the panel tops are not.

This was my first time purchasing something from BAKflip and will be my last.
Sh1t. I hate having 2nd thoughts on a large item after I've already ordered.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Sh1t. I hate having 2nd thoughts on a large item after I've already ordered.
Was seriously disappointed. I sent their support group an email with photos as the truck itself took no damage, but the tonneau cover was littered with dimples. Their answer was to submit a claim to my insurance or buy a new one. 🙄

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my Lomax for almost three years now, no hail storms luckily but it is holding up well. I have noticed it has faded ever so slightly.

Tyedri

Reaction score
Ok, I pulled the trigger on the Ultra Flex; while I know the LoMax can come out real easy when the full bed is needed, I need it often enough that I felt I would grow to resent having to do it. Plus, I would be a little concern about the longevity of the weather sealing on the bulkhead with constant removal and install.

Thanks everyone for their advice!

EDIT: I bought through Luke @ TruckAlterations.com. Cover is backordered and should get it in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Tay

Reaction score
Hows the weatherproofing on the Extang Xceed?

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
Its very good. I really don't get any water in the bed except a tiny bit around the tailgate. That little bit has nothing to do with the cover though.
I really like the turn knob to release the 1st panel more secure than the typical cable release.

Reactions: Tay

RBJ

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Longhorn 10th anniversary edition with RamBox and MFT. The inside rails with cleat tie-downs is BLACK metal not silver. I mention the color of the inside rails because that appears to be a fitment issue if the rails are NOT silver. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hard tri-fold cover that will fit with a 2021 Ram with the same configuration (with RamBox and MFT)?

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
I like my Xceed a lot, too. Would say that when buying a Bakflip product don’t expect the fit and finish to be what you’d expect from a 700-1000$ product - functions/looks good but overpriced. I too think that ultimately having full access was important to me and even the few times I’ve used it as such made it worth it.

Next time I’ll look close at the hard roll up tonneaus, hoping they have better cold weather performance than the first batch.

Attachments

• 6A5262F2-3539-4E2B-B0B9-6E90C22D6528.jpeg
    6A5262F2-3539-4E2B-B0B9-6E90C22D6528.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 26

Users who are viewing this thread