5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard Downshifting

joshuajames87

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 Ram Limited 5.7 Hemi 3.92 4x4 on 12/15. Just under 600 miles on it I have noticed the downshifting big time now that i am driving it in traffic more. Had it parked until my other truck was bought back but now I am concerned. Do I take it in before I hit 1,000 miles to have them check it? Seems to be happening from 3-2-1 but most noticeably from 2-1.

I would think it wouldn’t need an update or anything already, but maybe I am wrong? Or is it still being broken in? 70k sticker and I would hope it would shift like butter but maybe that’s expecting too much?

I just went through another truck (can’t say much because of the agreement I signed) being bought back as a lemon after going through 3 rear axles in 6 months of having it. Lesson learned there was take it in at the first sign of a problem. So am I being paranoid to take it in already or do I let it ride out a bit longer? Thanks for the advice ahead of time!

derp

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 Ram Limited 5.7 Hemi 3.92 4x4 on 12/15. Just under 600 miles on it I have noticed the downshifting big time now that i am driving it in traffic more. Had it parked until my other truck was bought back but now I am concerned. Do I take it in before I hit 1,000 miles to have them check it? Seems to be happening from 3-2-1 but most noticeably from 2-1.

I would think it wouldn’t need an update or anything already, but maybe I am wrong? Or is it still being broken in? 70k sticker and I would hope it would shift like butter but maybe that’s expecting too much?

I just went through another truck (can’t say much because of the agreement I signed) being bought back as a lemon after going through 3 rear axles in 6 months of having it. Lesson learned there was take it in at the first sign of a problem. So am I being paranoid to take it in already or do I let it ride out a bit longer? Thanks for the advice ahead of time!
check the TSB section. there's a software update to the transmission control module.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I've taken mine in several times for several updates that have smoothed it out a little but still not to my liking. Its still my top complaint at 15k miles. Please keep us posted on your results. And make sure you drive it several days before you make up your mind on whether it's improved. It can take a few drives to relearn and adjust back to sucking. Always seems smoother to me immediately after they updated it but goes right back to clunky shifting after a couple days of driving.

Tkshaffer

Reaction score
I was used to my eco boost f150 which I never even felt shift it was so smooth so moving to ram I sort of felt the same hard down shifting. I don’t know if I changed my throttle behavior, the truck smoothed out or I just got used to it but 1k later I don’t notice it at all. Might be worth giving it a little more time and then take it in for a look if your still noticing it.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Jist read this post about a guy having hard 2-1 downshiftong and the dealer did a trans swap.

jfcody3962

Reaction score
Mine has a rough down-shift also. So have all my other RAM trucks. I think it is just a "feature". You'll have to learn to ignore it.
****more thought on this......my truck only down-shifts roughly in certain situations. It seems the quicker I slow down, the rougher it seems to down-shift at times. Most of time, it returns smooth down-shifts. It always up-shifts smooth as silk. Overall I think the ZF trans is very good.

Last edited:

joshuajames87

Reaction score
Took it in Tuesday and got a call Friday. The valve body in the transmission in opening too early when downshifting causing the rough downshift by releasing fluid early. Or maybe it was too late, I honestly cannot remember. Part is on order to replace the entire valve body and they said that should take care of the issue. 903 miles on it so far. Little concerned but hopefully its just a fluke thing and it will be clear shifting (haha) after this.

Did come out with a few scratches on the chrome and tailgate that wasn’t there. I forgot to ask them to not wash it as it was a touch wash and I always hand wash. You can definitely tell on the chrome it was that. What can you do though. I took it back right away and they said they will fix it so hopefully they do. Shocks my how easily the chrome scuffs and scratches on it, but I am going to try and coat it with Plasti Dip to see if that helps.

Phoeuth

Reaction score
Took it in Tuesday and got a call Friday. The valve body in the transmission in opening too early when downshifting causing the rough downshift by releasing fluid early. Or maybe it was too late, I honestly cannot remember. Part is on order to replace the entire valve body and they said that should take care of the issue. 903 miles on it so far. Little concerned but hopefully its just a fluke thing and it will be clear shifting (haha) after this.

Did come out with a few scratches on the chrome and tailgate that wasn’t there. I forgot to ask them to not wash it as it was a touch wash and I always hand wash. You can definitely tell on the chrome it was that. What can you do though. I took it back right away and they said they will fix it so hopefully they do. Shocks my how easily the chrome scuffs and scratches on it, but I am going to try and coat it with Plasti Dip to see if that helps.
I am having the same problem. Did you get the issue fixed?

dmpk

Reaction score
I have the same problem, seems to hard downshift from 2-1, but I can also make it happen from 1-2 if I take my foot off the break and let the idle coast it forward. Had the shop foreman ride with me yesterday and he said most 5th gens do it (he said his does, he tried to fix it and found out nothing was wrong, then test drove another truck that did the same thing). He called it "pre-load" of the new clutches in the tranny, but I have no idea if this makes sense or is legit.

Anyone else hear of pre-load? (as it relates to transmissions :D)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Mine was doing the same thing when slowing down and coming to a stop. Had transmission software updated which helped but the downshifts are still more pronounced than what I'm used to if I'm doing soft/moderate braking. Techs have told me that's how ZF designed these 8 speeds transmissions. Hasn't been a problem for me...and actually I've grown to like it being in Las Vegas traffic lol. Let it break in a little more...to maybe around 1500 miles, then take it in for software update. I'm sure they don't apply the updates prior to selling the truck.

ywhat2002

Reaction score
My brand new 2020 limited ecodiesel has just started harsh down shift coming to a stop. 400 miles now this. 74k truck. Can you send me tsb #? Truck is amazing minus the hard downshift.

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately, my first post to this thread about my very first Chrysler product (GM man) has to be because of this problem. There is some reassurance that some people have NO problems and others have had it resolved. But with others still having the problems, ownership for only 10 days and 500 miles to discover my 2020 eTorque Hemi Limited (3.92) refuses to pump windshield washing fluid and has all of the 1-2/2-1/rear clunking/delayed-lazy off idle throttle response issues, odd feeling brakes PLUS 16 MPG does not give me great confidence that this truck may not be back in FCA's inventory by year's end. And to have the svc advisor tell me with a straight face that I may need to drive a truck (that I picked up with 38 miles on it) a few thousand miles to have it learn my driving is not reassuring of the level of expertise behind the counter. And when I asked if a hard reset could be done he responded that it could make things worse. Now I have been working with GM 6 speeds and conversion swaps for the past 13 years and to hear a "trained professional service advise" spew some nonsense like a modern high speed microprocessor needs THOUSANDS of miles to adapt to something is just....wow.

I guess I better test the 4WD system hard when I get it back and run through ALL the truck features before I leave that new car survey response.

That aside. Hello my new fellow Ram brothers and sisters!

K1135

Reaction score

Did that fix the issue?

Users who are viewing this thread