5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hard brake pedal

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
Lately, on the first startup of the day, the brake pedal is rock hard. The truck starts just fine, and there seems to be no problem with the operation of the brakes. I just wondered whether this might be the symptom of something sinister.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Lately, on the first startup of the day, the brake pedal is rock hard. The truck starts just fine, and there seems to be no problem with the operation of the brakes. I just wondered whether this might be the symptom of something sinister.
Def not normal. I'd have the dealer take a look since it involves the one thing that makes your truck stop ;)

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score

I had this same issue on my ‘17 Charger. The dealer said they couldn’t find anything wrong. Definitely didn’t seem right to me. The brakes always seemed to work fine tho .

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does the pedal start to sink right after you start the truck?

Scram1500

Reaction score
There is a tiny air leak in the diaphragm of the brake booster and it is losing vacuum overnight

broman66

Reaction score
Funny that I saw this today. Yesterday I had this happen and thought for a second that it was odd. I discounted it until I read this post.
I will keep an eye on it as it only happened once so far.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2015 Charger Scat Pack had this exact issue. The brakes worked fine, but the first start pedal pressure was hard.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
The power booster is bad or the check valve in the vacuum line is bad. Either way, you're losing vacuum. Unless there's a TSB pointing at the booster, they'll likely start with the check valve because it's cheaper.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stiff, yes. "Rock hard", no. I remember this being a discussion in the very early days of this forum...so it seems to be "a thing" with these trucks. The pedal has always been a bit stiff on mine when cold (2+ years), but the brakes are great and the truck starts fine (as you point out).

Users who are viewing this thread