5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hands Free Calling problems with Bluetooth

JMEaglefan

Reaction score
Has anyone experience any problems with hands free calling popping off the speaker system while connected via bluetooth? I purchased my 2019 RAM quad cab 3 weeks ago and the hands free calling connects when I first start the truck, and I can generally make one or two calls hands free before I hear a loud "POP" through the speakers. The next call there will be no audio and I am forced to transfer to my iPhone to the phone speaker. Incidentally, the Apple CarPlay and USB ports stopped working as well. I took it back to the dealer and they said it is a software update or radio recall that won't be available until the 4th quarter of 2019. I called FCA care and they said that is not true. We tried everything, other phones, USB cables, etc. - nothing. Then I took it to another dealer yesterday. They pulled the radio and found that the connector for the CarPlay and USB was not seated correctly. That problem is now fixed. However, hands free calling via bluetooth is still on the fritz. Any suggestions out there? Has anyone else had this issue?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope, mine works fine. Not sure what Uconnect you have, mine is 8.4 non nav. Could also potentially be a problem with your phone too. I had issues with iPhone 6 on my 2015 GMC Sierra. I have since ditched GMC and Apple!

witchdocto12

Reaction score
I was dealing with this issue this morning. Same exact set of facts. Bluetooth calling worked in the past. This morning when the wife called, I answered, POP. No sound. I try to call back. POP. No sound. Same result with Bluetooth and CarPlay.

I tried reconnecting the cable and turning the truck off and on, but no go. I will let you know if it changes when I get back into the truck tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

witchdocto12

Reaction score
No good. I was able to make one outgoing call on Bluetooth after I started it, but once I ended the call I heard the notorious POP again. I could not make or receive any calls on Bluetooth or CarPlay after that.

For reference, I picked up my Ram last week with the most up to date software and am using an iPhone XR.

witchdocto12

Reaction score
I deleted my phone from the Bluetooth settings on Uconnect and added it again from scratch. This seems to have solved my problem temporarily. I was able to make multiple calls via Bluetooth and CarPlay without the POP/no sound problem.

witchdocto12

Reaction score
It happened again. I tried deleting the phone from the settings and reconnecting, but that didn’t help this time. I’m probably going to take it in.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I have android and no problems with the hands free calling, but take it in and let the techs figure it out for you.

Jeff270

Reaction score
Similar problem. I cannot use hands free calling when CarPlay is running. I get a message that say "no phone paired". If I disconnect from CarPlay, it works fine ? Any ideas?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Similar problem. I cannot use hands free calling when CarPlay is running. I get a message that say "no phone paired". If I disconnect from CarPlay, it works fine ? Any ideas?
Hold the VR button down for a couple of seconds, Siri will respond, use hands free calling via Siri.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You may need to adjust settings in your phone as well. Someone else will need to chime in to tell you what to do with that. My dealer set mine all up.

Jeff270

Reaction score
Tried repairing, didn't change the outcome. Its weird that it works fine if the phone isn't plugged in. Once its hardwired (cable plugged in for Carplay) Siri wont recognize the phone.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
My bluetooth cuts out as well with iPhone with handsfree calling

witchdocto12

Reaction score
I eventually took mine in and they updated the software. It didn’t help. I still have the same problem.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ive said it before, and I'll say it again: Apple sucks! Everyone is so quick to blame the vehicle!! How do you knows its not the iPhone?? Everytime a new phone comes out, they totally neglect the old phones, except they expext you to update the iOS with the latest version which was written for the new phone and makes rhe older phones run like $hit.

witchdocto12

Reaction score
Sure, I could solve the problem by buying an Android phone, but then I’d have to live with having an Android phone...

Nah, I’m good. I’ll wait.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
O
Sure, I could solve the problem by buying an Android phone, but then I’d have to live with having an Android phone...

Nah, I’m good. I’ll wait.

Ok, good.luck!! Enjoy the wait!!

Sent from my Android phone (the one that works)

Nolimits

Reaction score
Did anyone ever resolve this issue? I recently bought a new left over 2019 2500 tradesman. I've had about a month and worked properly but the past two mornings I have had this issue. I have an android and also tried repairing with an iPhone and still had no sound and the pop through the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread