5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ham Radio

BillyRunsFar

Reaction score
Any one install a HAM Radio in their 5th Gen?
I have a one ton 4X4 Tradesman Crew Cab.
Looking for the best place to get power with out cutting holes into the firewall.

PhilBilly

Reaction score
Any one install a HAM Radio in their 5th Gen?
I have a one ton 4X4 Tradesman Crew Cab.
Looking for the best place to get power with out cutting holes into the firewall.
I went through the firewall through one of the rubber boots, I used a Nagoya RB-400 antenna mount on the edge of the hood and ran the coax between the inside and outside fender panels then into the floor panel track.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Briencrotty

Reaction score
I went through the firewall through one of the rubber boots, I used a Nagoya RB-400 antenna mount on the edge of the hood and ran the coax between the inside and outside fender panels then into the floor panel track.

Thanks for the info. Where in the cab did you end up mounting the radio body? I'm looking for a good spot for a new Yaesu FT300d. Also wondering how you got a good ground plane on the antenna?

Thanks,

B
(KB9TLL)

RAMTrkGN

Reaction score
Subscribed.

NU2P

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PhilBilly

Reaction score
Main radio body mounted under the driver seat, control head in front of CD player with velcro to the dash.

DomW

Reaction score
Just a warning: If you have the wireless Qi charger in your front center console just ahead of the sliding cup holder, do not install any metal in front of that charger. It will turn it on. I'm pretty sure I read this in the owners manual. I saw a foil lined hand wipes pack do this accidentally. I do not have a CD player In my truck and the charger most likely came in some package included in my truck. Google the Qi charger and look at the coil and circuit inside.

Users who are viewing this thread