5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen to OEM led upgrade

MotzIam

Reaction score
Hello 1st time Ram owner,
I purchased my 2022 big horn eco diesel loving every minute . However the premium light package wasn’t available at time of purchase . I’m looking to purchase some OEM led headlights. My question is what is needed to get these operational . Are they plug and play ? I’ve heard possibly a harness? I’ve heard no harness and just changing settings within ALFAOBD. I’ve never operated ALFA but I’m pretty decent with computers. Can someone please give me a little guidance . Thank you.

Clv22p

Reaction score
Simple solution. This has everything you need.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello 1st time Ram owner,
I purchased my 2022 big horn eco diesel loving every minute . However the premium light package wasn’t available at time of purchase . I’m looking to purchase some OEM led headlights. My question is what is needed to get these operational . Are they plug and play ? I’ve heard possibly a harness? I’ve heard no harness and just changing settings within ALFAOBD. I’ve never operated ALFA but I’m pretty decent with computers. Can someone please give me a little guidance . Thank you.
OEM is the way to go. After market ones plug right in, but you still have to do some extra wiring, like a balast and a fuse tap.
@Jimmy07 makes a nice harness for them, they work exactly like OEM. Need AlfaOBD, bypass cable and OBD2 dongle to program.
You can even program the amber turn signals as DRL's.

Pyrotik

Reaction score
OEM is the way to go. After market ones plug right in, but you still have to do some extra wiring, like a balast and a fuse tap.
@Jimmy07 makes a nice harness for them, they work exactly like OEM. Need AlfaOBD, bypass cable and OBD2 dongle to program.
You can even program the amber turn signals as DRL's.
There's some on American trucks website that I was interested in getting. You think these I'd need extra harnasses and stuff as well? They make it seem like it's pretty simple.

Clv22p

Reaction score
There is one for the accent light. You attach it to the positive and negative terminals on the battery and one fuse tap. Its super simple.

I am running the Luxx. The Pros are still halogen bulbs. 4E62EF86-C923-403B-830E-D821CC61FAE2.jpeg
They are much improved over OE halogen.

Check with Alex at @Realtruck they are members here. Send him a pm and he might be able to save you a little money if you decide to go with those instead of OE.

Last edited:

Pyrotik

Reaction score
There is one for the accent light. You attach it to the positive and negative terminals on the battery and one fuse tap. Its super simple.

I am running the Luxx. The Pros are still halogen bulbs. View attachment 138566

Check with Alex at @Realtruck they are members here. Send him a pm and he might be able to save you a little money if you decide to go with those instead of OE.
Thanks I sent him a message and just looked up these: RAM 1500 PRO-Series Projector Headlights; Matte Black Housing; Clear Lens (19-22 RAM 1500 w/ Factory Halogen Headlights) - Free Shipping

My only question is about the bulbs, I already changed everything in my current lights to be LED to match the rest of my truck so would be worried about going back to halogen, especially if the headlight has that cool LED bar on it, then has halogens running right next to it. Could I just put LED bulbs back in it you think?

Also watched the install video and not sure where to run the wires that reach to t he passenger side from the battery, she said to avoid anything that gets hot but honestly not sure what does and doesn't get hot under there that could affect wiring.

Pyrotik

Reaction score

I am running the Luxx. The Pros are still halogen bulbs. View attachment 138566

I just realized the LUXX are the ones that have the LED bulbs in it, so I can put that on mine that comes with Halogen standard?

Clv22p

Reaction score
Yes my truck had factory halogen headlights. Do the Luxx don’t bother getting the pros and putting bulbs in.

I ran my wires across the front of the radiator following along another wiring harness that goes across. The wiring is No big deal. Getting to the headlights…that’s another story. 🤣 The lower trim pieces are a pain in the butt to get out without breaking.

Pyrotik

Reaction score
Yes my truck had factory halogen headlights. Do the Luxx don’t bother getting the pros and putting bulbs in.

I ran my wires across the front of the radiator following along another wiring harness that goes across. The wiring is No big deal. Getting to the headlights…that’s another story. 🤣 The lower trim pieces are a pain in the butt to get out without breaking.
What did you do about the DRL's? I'm reading they dont work without fuse tapping but I can't find anywhere what type of fuse tap to get and how to get a wire from the battery to the fuse box?
Sorry for bombardment of questions just dont ever do vehicle changes that require electrical, always worries me.

Clv22p

Reaction score
Pull fuse 38 out of the fuse box and put the wire in, put the fuse back

This video will help. Wiring starts at 3:30. I just followed right along.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Simple solution. This has everything you need.

when purchasing this with the harness...... is it plug and play? meaning i just plug it all up, bolt it on and good? or do i still have to do all the programming and add other crap?

Clv22p

Reaction score
when purchasing this with the harness...... is it plug and play? meaning i just plug it all up, bolt it on and good? or do i still have to do all the programming and add other crap?
I don’t think you have to program that

Users who are viewing this thread