5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen to LED headlights question - 2020 Big Horn

PhillyburbsRam92

Reaction score
Hi all,
6 weeks ago I picked up 2020 Big Horn Crew cab. It has the level 2 package with some additional perks( 12inch screen, midnight edition, etc.).

I absolutely love this truck so far, as well as the way it looks. The granite crystal metallic and the blackout look is really something (I still smile every time I look at it) . I have almost no complaints. The only gripe I have when I look back is not getting factory LED headlights/fog lights as opposed to the headlights/Foglights. I just feel this adds an extra dimension to the vehicle the halogen cannot

I am looking to get LED headlights and am trying to figure out the best route. My biggest concern is voiding the warranty. What options are available that would not void the warranty? I’ve read a much cheaper option is just replacing with LED bulbs, but I’ve read there can be some projector issues with the headlight being designed for halogen.

Looking for any advice I can get. If I went the route of OEM headlight replacement, is this doable without voiding the warranty, and how would I go about getting this done? I’ve read this option can be rather pricey (upwards of $2k or more)

Thanks for the help!

froy119

Reaction score
I just replaced my OEM halogen to LED's using the Retroshop adapter. It was fairly straightforward and the lights themselves cost about 600 a pair. The adapter was 175 from retro shop. I am not sure about the warranty issue.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The only thing that should be affected, as far as warranty goes is any parts you swap out, or anything they can prove failed because of the part(s) you swapped out. Everything else on the truck should still be covered. In other words, if you have an engine failure after swapping out headlights, they can't refuse to cover the repair unless they can prove that swapping out for LED's is what caused the failure. It could get a little complicated if you have an electrical issue in the future though, if they can prove the LED's caused the failure.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Phillyburbs,

I totally understand your dilemma... my last car before this truck was a 2018 VW Jetta GLI, an awesome car which used to come standard with HIDs. But starting in 2017 for some stupid reason VW only made them with the standard halogen lights. Drove me CRAZY! I searched high and low for alternatives, even willing to pay close to $2k to completely swap out the units for OEM assemblies. I didn’t just want the awesome extra illumination. I also wanted that sleek HID housing look that separated the GLI from the standard Jetta “riffraff”. Then, suddenly, I traded in the VW for the truck (phew!)

If it was me. I would insist on nothing other than swapping out for the OEM LED assemblies. It is entirely doable as I believe the housings are identical. Yes it will cost $$$. But it will give your truck that nice sleek look that the LED provides. It will also be OEM so your warranty shouldn’t be voided.

If you can’t swing that, I would definitely go the LED or HID bulb route, which will save you some $$$ but you’re still going to have the halogen exterior housing look. If you can live with that, its probably the cheapest way to go.

Good luck! Man I’ve been there....

Alptbird

Reaction score
check youtube. look for head light revolution and watch their video on LED headlights. it will help you choose what is best for you and or your budget.

Personally I use the Diode dynamics SL1. but there are other good ones out there too. I have no association with them but they helped me pick good ones.

Wsmith

Reaction score
I was in the same boat, poor night vision and the halogens were unacceptable. I replaced the high, low, fog and turns with GTR ulta 2. Before doing so I taped off my garage to the factory halogen cutoff. Installed the lights and the GTR's matched the cutoff exactly. No need to adjust the assembly in my case, have not been flashed on lows, the highs would blind an airplane. If you buy quality engineered LED bulbs they are designed to mimic the factory H11 bulbs in chip placement and size they work well with the reflectors. It is true they are illegal. I believe this stemmed from the onslaught of cheap bright bulbs that were not designed to work with the reflector housings, those will blind oncoming traffic, mine do not. I am happy and do not believe I will ever be ticketed for this as the cutoff is as good as any headlight. The premium LED package are also reflectors that were designed to work properly with LED bulbs.

froy119

Reaction score
There is also an aftermarket Headlight assembly that looks identical to the OEM lights. They also claim to be Plug and play without an adapter. I don't have them on my vehicle and am only bringing them up as an FYI.

Kingnothing

Reaction score
I was in the same boat, poor night vision and the halogens were unacceptable. I replaced the high, low, fog and turns with GTR ulta 2. Before doing so I taped off my garage to the factory halogen cutoff. Installed the lights and the GTR's matched the cutoff exactly. No need to adjust the assembly in my case, have not been flashed on lows, the highs would blind an airplane. If you buy quality engineered LED bulbs they are designed to mimic the factory H11 bulbs in chip placement and size they work well with the reflectors. It is true they are illegal. I believe this stemmed from the onslaught of cheap bright bulbs that were not designed to work with the reflector housings, those will blind oncoming traffic, mine do not. I am happy and do not believe I will ever be ticketed for this as the cutoff is as good as any headlight. The premium LED package are also reflectors that were designed to work properly with LED bulbs.
Did you get the vehicle specific bulbs? Headlight revolution Has 2 sets H11 bulbs. https://headlightrevolution.com/h11-h9-h8-gtr-lighting-ultra-2/

Wsmith

Reaction score
Did you get the vehicle specific bulbs? Headlight revolution Has 2 sets H11 bulbs. https://headlightrevolution.com/h11-h9-h8-gtr-lighting-ultra-2/
Yes, I bought them all from HR. Also, no need to clock them they installed vertical. I am going to remove the GTR h11 fog lights and install upgraded amber halogens. The fog lights are not enclosed, I don't think the cooling fan will last in the open environment. Ill have a spare set of h11 then.

Last edited:

DrDrew

Reaction score
For those that used the GTR Ultra 2s, did you get the PWM module or just plug and play? If you didn’t get the module did you use something like Tazer DT or AlphaOBD to turn on the led function?
Reason I ask, is I’m looking to do this upgrade and I have the Tazer and just want to know if I can just simply buy the bulbs without the PMW module and just enable leds to prevent the flicker and hyperflash problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,
6 weeks ago I picked up 2020 Big Horn Crew cab. It has the level 2 package with some additional perks( 12inch screen, midnight edition, etc.).

I absolutely love this truck so far, as well as the way it looks. The granite crystal metallic and the blackout look is really something (I still smile every time I look at it) . I have almost no complaints. The only gripe I have when I look back is not getting factory LED headlights/fog lights as opposed to the headlights/Foglights. I just feel this adds an extra dimension to the vehicle the halogen cannot

I am looking to get LED headlights and am trying to figure out the best route. My biggest concern is voiding the warranty. What options are available that would not void the warranty? I’ve read a much cheaper option is just replacing with LED bulbs, but I’ve read there can be some projector issues with the headlight being designed for halogen.

Looking for any advice I can get. If I went the route of OEM headlight replacement, is this doable without voiding the warranty, and how would I go about getting this done? I’ve read this option can be rather pricey (upwards of $2k or more)

Thanks for the help!
If you have Halogen headlights...Beamtech LED headlights ($35)
If you have projectors....JDMaStar ($60)
I've used both and can attest that they are very nice bulbs. I haven't put the beamtechs in my Ram yet though since I don't drive at night anymore.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I bought them all from HR. Also, no need to clock them they installed vertical. I am going to remove the GTR h11 fog lights and install upgraded amber halogens. The fog lights are not enclosed, I don't think the cooling fan will last in the open environment. Ill have a spare set of h11 then.
That is an outrageous price for regular LED headlights! I hope that post was a joke!

Wsmith

Reaction score
That is an outrageous price for regular LED headlights! I hope that post was a joke!
Not in the slightest. There is nothing higher quality, with lifetime guarantee. It,s my money and I am happy with my purchase. Many others hold GTR in high regard as well. I love amazon, but not for LED,s.

Wsmith

Reaction score
For those that used the GTR Ultra 2s, did you get the PWM module or just plug and play? If you didn’t get the module did you use something like Tazer DT or AlphaOBD to turn on the led function?
Reason I ask, is I’m looking to do this upgrade and I have the Tazer and just want to know if I can just simply buy the bulbs without the PMW module and just enable leds to prevent the flicker and hyperflash problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know nothing about the tazer. I bought the PWM module for the low beams only. Not sure why but HR, said it was not necessary for the highs or fog.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quality is the key. Don't buy from eBay or Amazon. Spend the money at Headlight Revolution and get quality LED bulbs and you'll be in love. INTENSE light and perfect beam patterns for hundreds less than the factory option.

I've run the Supernova V.4 and the GTR Lighting Ultra 2. For the money I'd go Supernova. They're every bit the same and typically sell for $30 less per set.

I used my Tazer from my old Wrangler to activate LED lights in the computer. Had to update the firmware in the Tazer to switch from JL to DT but it worked great after that.

I actually didn't have an issue with the headlights without tuning the computer, but the fogs did blink sometimes.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I also made that mistake... and had to swap them for the LED lights. Best decision I ever made. They make the truck look like it should. It should be the only option from factory!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not in the slightest. There is nothing higher quality, with lifetime guarantee. It,s my money and I am happy with my purchase. Many others hold GTR in high regard as well. I love amazon, but not for LED,s.
You're right ..it's your money. I still say that's an outrageous price for LED headlights.

Users who are viewing this thread