5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

halogen lights

moparleo51

Reaction score
for those who have these type of lights on our rams, how in the hell do you see? i have a loaner ram base bighorn while my truck is in the shop and i go to work at 2am in the morning in the rural setting and all i got to say they are the worst i`ve seen.

PatrickLeedleLee

Reaction score
I totally get people thinking they don't need LED, but if they used it for the first time, how could they go back to anything else?

I also can't understand how LED isn't the ONLY option. Way safer and not terribly expensive.

Cogito

Reaction score
for those who have these type of lights on our rams, how in the hell do you see? i have a loaner ram base bighorn while my truck is in the shop and i go to work at 2am in the morning in the rural setting and all i got to say they are the worst i`ve seen.
I assume you have LEDs on your truck. I paid extra for LEDs on my Bighorn. Sounds like money well-spent.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You know, if you have pooped in an outhouse all your life, you might think indoor plumbing is unnecessary. Kind of the same for someone who has never had anything but Halogen.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You know, if you have pooped in an outhouse all your life, you might think indoor plumbing is unnecessary. Kind of the same for someone who has never had anything but Halogen.

Agreed, I also don't get the other common arguments you get from the halogeners about the halogens being better in the rain/snow. By my personal first hand experience I don't find that to be true, being that they are so ineffective in perfect conditions I find them even more useless in conditions like that. Granted the LEDs are also better in ideal conditions, overall the drop-off isn't so much in poor conditions with LEDs to make them completely useless like the halogens are. Also how bright they make signs with the high beams on, well don't stare into the light like a bug and keep your eyes on the road?

I'll give halogens the edge in heavy fog but you aren't seeing much then with either setup. I'll take the better lighting for 99.5% of the driving time, and after driving with the factory candles on a few of my rams I am SO happy they finally offer good factory lighting options.

Best thing here is you can have it either way if you're fine choosing certain trims. At least there's options for both sides for now.

moparleo51

Reaction score
I agree with everyones input. And yes my truck does have led . Maybe that's why it seems so bad. But for new truck these days they should come standard as this is a truly a safety issue these days. And where I live there's deer hit just about everyday. If I owned a ram with these I definitely would look into alternative options .

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The halogen on my 2018 f150 were worse

Scram1500

Reaction score
I'd like to upgrade my halogens to LED for the simple fact the housings are ugly, but that's around $1500 for OEM or reliable aftermarket. Not a lot of bang for the buck there.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Agreed, I also don't get the other common arguments you get from the halogeners about the halogens being better in the rain/snow. By my personal first hand experience I don't find that to be true, being that they are so ineffective in perfect conditions I find them even more useless in conditions like that. Granted the LEDs are also better in ideal conditions, overall the drop-off isn't so much in poor conditions with LEDs to make them completely useless like the halogens are. Also how bright they make signs with the high beams on, well don't stare into the light like a bug and keep your eyes on the road?

I'll give halogens the edge in heavy fog but you aren't seeing much then with either setup. I'll take the better lighting for 99.5% of the driving time, and after driving with the factory candles on a few of my rams I am SO happy they finally offer good factory lighting options.

Best thing here is you can have it either way if you're fine choosing certain trims. At least there's options for both sides for now.
I love your analogy of not staring at the signs like a bug! 😅 Yes, they glare off some things but that is because they put out lots of light.

The halogens in my last jeep were like little emergency camp lanterns using tealight candles. I put led replacements in it and did not look back (despite all the half blind people that think that they have some magical power to bend light differently and this is why they have trouble seeing, can't be their cataracts!).

For snow or ice build up, why do the LED lights have heat sinks to dissipate heat if they run so cold? I just never had a problem with them.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love your analogy of not staring at the signs like a bug! 😅 Yes, they glare off some things but that is because they put out lots of light.

The halogens in my last jeep were like little emergency camp lanterns using tealight candles. I put led replacements in it and did not look back (despite all the half blind people that think that they have some magical power to bend light differently and this is why they have trouble seeing, can't be their cataracts!).

For snow or ice build up, why do the LED lights have heat sinks to dissipate heat if they run so cold? I just never had a problem with them.

Haha thanks, yeah it just seems like there's such a simple solution to that "problem."

And yeah I had 3 4th gen rams that all had candles in them, switched out to some aftermarket setups which provided a great increase in lighting and visibility but I could not get them to work reliably for very long. Suffered with the candles for the ownership of my last 4th gen, and to your last point, I had those halogens ice up plenty on me on a trip back from Texas last February during that fun little storm they had down there (and all the way down and back for our fun trip, in particular). So either way I think that argument isn't valid either, I didn't have a problem with my leds this winter but I didn't travel through anything that brutal either. They certainly didn't ice up in the winter driving I did do this year though and that was still a fair amount.

I've also got full LEDs in my 66 buick as well, including a custom sequential blinker setup and it makes an enormous difference in that car.

Users who are viewing this thread