5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen headlights with LED bulbs. Condensation

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have the halogen factory headlights. I added LED bulbs about 8 months ago. One of the bulbs quit working so I put my stock halogen bulbs back in.
Now I have condensation in one of my headlights. The dust caps are installed correctly etc.

Anyone else have condensation issues after swapping headlight bulbs? What gives!?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You absolutely sure the dust caps are installed correctly?
I added LED's to my 2018 F-150 last year. Required cutting a little bit of the plastic housing away to aim them correctly since the fans are pretty large on them. Anyway the dustcaps never fit back on as snuggly after that and when I'd go through a carwash the jet dryer would blow hard enough to get a few drops of water inside causing condensation.
If you didn't modify or cut anything, then I would remove the halogen bulbs and let the housings dry out for a day or so. Once the condensation is gone re-install your bulbs and dustcaps properly and it shouldn't happen again.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put LED bulbs in my factory halogen fog light housings and now get condensation in them. I was curious as to why as well

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Carwash may be blowing water in there.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You absolutely sure the dust caps are installed correctly?
I added LED's to my 2018 F-150 last year. Required cutting a little bit of the plastic housing away to aim them correctly since the fans are pretty large on them. Anyway the dustcaps never fit back on as snuggly after that and when I'd go through a carwash the jet dryer would blow hard enough to get a few drops of water inside causing condensation.
If you didn't modify or cut anything, then I would remove the halogen bulbs and let the housings dry out for a day or so. Once the condensation is gone re-install your bulbs and dustcaps properly and it shouldn't happen again.
I just had to replace the passenger led bulb cause it quit working. The company I got the bulbs from warrantied no issue. While I had it apart, I stuck a blow dryer in where the dust cap goes and let it run like 20 mins. Reinstalled the caps. Triple checked to make sure I have them installed snug. Hopefully the condensation doesn’t return. I didn’t have to modify anything as the bulbs I’m using are direct replacement.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had to replace the passenger led bulb cause it quit working. The company I got the bulbs from warrantied no issue. While I had it apart, I stuck a blow dryer in where the dust cap goes and let it run like 20 mins. Reinstalled the caps. Triple checked to make sure I have them installed snug. Hopefully the condensation doesn’t return. I didn’t have to modify anything as the bulbs I’m using are direct replacement.
Another possibility is that there is still water in the housing even though the blow dryer fixed it temporarily. If so, the condensation will keep coming back until the entire housing is empty of water.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another possibility is that there is still water in the housing even though the blow dryer fixed it temporarily. If so, the condensation will keep coming back until the entire housing is empty of water.
This is true. I have it all back together now. So I’m going to wait it out and see what happens.

Nickyrams

Reaction score
This is a common problem with 2019 and up ram headlights I have the SAME exact issue since the day i bought my 2019 ram I had my headlights replaced by dodge and im STILL having same issue!!!!

Nickyrams

Reaction score
RAM NEEDS TO FIGURE THIS PROBLEM OUT ASAP and make it a recall This is A SAFETY issue and should not be happening on BRAND NEW cars !!!!!!

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a common problem with 2019 and up ram headlights I have the SAME exact issue since the day i bought my 2019 ram I had my headlights replaced by dodge and im STILL having same issue!!!!

So two people have a headlight condensation issue and suddenly it’s a safety issue.... calm the hell down and have a drink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So two people have a headlight condensation issue and suddenly it’s a safety issue.... calm the hell down and have a drink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Every ram truck I’ve owned has had condensation issues in the headlights.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Between my wife and I we've owned 6 different Ram trucks, and none of them has had a problem with condensation. Maybe it has to do with where you live, like lots of rain or high humidity. I've been a little bit concerned now that we both have LED headlights. There isn't the same kind of heat generated inside the housing from halogen bulbs to burn off any condensation. But so far we haven't seen any issues after a full year with my Laramie and six months with her Limited.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Between my wife and I we've owned 6 different Ram trucks, and none of them has had a problem with condensation. Maybe it has to do with where you live, like lots of rain or high humidity. I've been a little bit concerned now that we both have LED headlights. There isn't the same kind of heat generated inside the housing from halogen bulbs to burn off any condensation. But so far we haven't seen any issues after a full year with my Laramie and six months with her Limited.
I live in Virginia where it’s humid year-round. Sucks. I get so sick of seeing the fog/condensation in the headlights. It drives me nuts.

jeffrey5679

Reaction score
I live in the Pacific Northwest and get quite a bit of rain. I’ve had a small amount of condensation in both lights in the corner of the housing

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in the Pacific Northwest and get quite a bit of rain. I’ve had a small amount of condensation in both lights in the corner of the housing
mine is in the corner of each light under the orange reflector.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, me too
Pulled the headlights out this morning and adjusted all of the vents in the back as far out as they will go without falling off. I’ve seen several videos saying it should cure it. All of mine were completely shut. I’ll report back if it’s solved it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread