5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Half the volumn

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
How many of you test drove a Ram with the HK system in it. If you are going to spend 60k+ for a truck, then shouldn't you try out the audio? I bought the truck for a lot of reasons, but one was not hosting a Van Halen concert

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How many of you test drove a Ram with the HK system in it. If you are going to spend 60k+ for a truck, then shouldn't you try out the audio? I bought the truck for a lot of reasons, but one was not hosting a Van Halen concert

Kind of impossible to test drive one if you were an early adopter and ordered it before it was on the lot lol :eek:

I like the sounds of my system...just wish it has alot more volume....#firstworldproblems

Lakewake

Reaction score
Kind of impossible to test drive one if you were an early adopter and ordered it before it was on the lot lol :eek:

I like the sounds of my system...just wish it has alot more volume....#firstworldproblems
Yea, if you ordered before on lot then no way to check. I just wonder if the noise cancel is killing the volume. I have a couple of bose head sets at home, one with noise cancel ($300) for air travel and a cheap ($30) pair I wear out in the yard. The $30 pair is much louder, maybe twice as loud but has no noise cancel.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea, if you ordered before on lot then no way to check. I just wonder if the noise cancel is killing the volume. I have a couple of bose head sets at home, one with noise cancel ($300) for air travel and a cheap ($30) pair I wear out in the yard. The $30 pair is much louder, maybe twice as loud but has no noise cancel.

That's not really a fair comparison. On headphones you always want to look at SPL (sound pressure level). Headphones vary wildly in SPL and that literally is the difference in sound volume. It's the first thing I check when buying new ones. The higher SPL models will play louder at a lower volume level.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up my Limited with Hk 2 days ago and took a 200+ mile trip over last 2 days with wife listening to Sirius XM most of the way. Volume at 7 most of the way. I tried higher volume settings and no way could I go above 12 and have comfortable listening.
I'll admit that for me, 7 is fairly quiet (background music level). When I'm in the mood for music, I'm typically at 8-12. I've (briefly) gone as high as 24 to jam out to a favorite song, but my wife will shout at me to turn it down above 14 or 15 :)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you've been to a Van Halen concert, then you know that even competition systems don't always rival that db level!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
IDK... My Alpine sounds fine. I can't even turn the knob all the way. That's how loud it could be, so I'm happy. Is the HK "less loud"?

Lakewake

Reaction score
If you've been to a Van Halen concert, then you know that even competition systems don't always rival that db level!
1984 was the last one I went to, maybe that's what happened to my hearing, lol

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
1984 was the last one I went to, maybe that's what happened to my hearing, lol
I saw "Van Hagar" on the Balance tour (with Collective Soul as the opener) at the Palace back in the day. And I know that didn't help my hearing.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just got the truck back from the dealer and i had them look at the HK. They performed an amplifier enhancement update... significant increase in volume for me.

Attachments

• 20181003_163905.jpg
    20181003_163905.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just got the truck back from the dealer and i had them look at the HK. They performed an amplifier enhancement update... significant increase in volume for me.
Interesting. Wondering if this can be done OTA.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
If you don't mind, which dealer in Rochester did you go to for that service?

Users who are viewing this thread